Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Leg fat etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by katez View Post
    So how's it going for them lately? Do you keep up with the news? MOST of the US airlines are in deep economical crap, and many have filed for bankruptcy. I thought this was well known too. So I guess that one can deduce that uncomfortably small economy class seats wasn't exactly the answer to an airline's economical woes, it's a bit more complicated than this.
    No, I did not know this.

Again, it's more complicated than this. Over the past 30 years there has been deregulation, fuel price fluctuations, competition, larger insurance premiums, etc. etc. You can not seriously be implying that the success of an airline is based on one factor alone?!
    I'm not saying that it's based on one factor at all, and I never said that. This is a "fat etiquette thread" and I was basing my post around the "fat" argument. I completely understand that those also are contributing to the current airline situation. Hell, deregulation wiped out a lot of Canada's commercial airline industry.

LOLZ. So people are NOT bitching now? HELLO! Air passenger satisfactions is at an ALL TIME LOW. Do you keep up with the news at all??? And again you're assuming things that are not at all factual. Have you heard of Singapore Airlines? Their ECONOMY seats are INCHES wider than US economy seats yet they are one of the top airlines in the world, with one of the top passenger satisfaction rates.
    For comparisons sake. Here is Singapore Airlines International economy vs. United's and American's international economy.

Singapore Airlines.
    A330-333 19.0"
    A380-800 19.0"
    B747-400 (all 4 variations) 17.5"
    B777-200/200ER 17.5"
    B777-300 18.0"
    B777-300ER 19.0"

United Airlines
    B747-400's (both variations) 17.0"
    B767-300's 18.0"
    B777-200's 18.0"

American Airlines
    B767-300 17.2"
    B777-200 18-18.5"

For more comparison rates, here's another of the world's top airlines, Emirates:
    A330 and A340 family 17.5"
    A380-800 18.0"
    B777 (all variations) 17.0"

International Economy Comparison Chart
    Domestic Economy Comparison Chart

hhhmm, you failed your Economics class, didn't you? Ah, it's ok, we're not all "perfect".
    Eco-nomics?? WTF is this? I've never heard of it. Tell me more!

Airplane seats are rough on us shorties too - I never have enough leg room on a plane (I go it Indian style for the duration of most flights) so if I'm complaining your discomfort must be that much worse.
    Qwerty, the sad thing is, you'd probably have more leg room in the back of a Cessna 172 than something like a 767.
    My short ass needs to pull the seat most of the way forward to even reach the rudder pedals
    But I can walk under the wings without the fear of hitting my head....unless the flaps are down (yes I've done that before, no I'm not particularly proud of it either )
    Last edited by L1049; September 14th, 2009 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Nice formatting job there lou

LOL! So we either have to fly Aeroflot / AeroMexico / or A BA Airbus....

Its not the Airline, but the type of plane - Airbuses always have more leg room, but if one is flying transatlantic, one doesn't have much choice....

Oh.. and MrN, who has never flown ended up with DVT.... Funny that eh?

6.12 Possible links between DVT and air travel have been suggested in published case reports with increasing frequency during the past 50 years or so. Professor Mohler's evidence (p 251) included his own paper referring to many of these reports. However, as noted by Dr Janvrin of CAA (Q 23) and Dr Morgan Williams (Appendix 4 - who kindly sent us a copy of the original paper), the first strong evidence that pulmonary embolism was causally linked with spatial confinement, immobility and constrained seating conditions was published 60 years ago by the late Professor Keith Simpson, an expert in forensic medicine[79]. He noted a sharp increase in deaths from pulmonary embolism among people who had spent long periods in air-raid shelters, and found that such deaths were six times higher among those who had sat in hard-edged deckchairs than among those who had not. Many of the subsequent reports cite this important paper in their linking of DVT with enforced immobility and unsuitable seating in cars, coaches, trains and, in particular, aircraft.
    Note the words "possible" "suggested" and "60 yrs ago".....
    6.17 From the incidence among the general population, it is certain that a number of people will develop DVT while travelling or soon after they have travelled by air. The fundamental question yet to be answered is whether this number is greater than the number from an equivalent population who would have developed DVT if they had not recently flown. The time-scale between flight and the development of DVT is important because the anecdotal evidence indicates that flight-related DVT may develop, or be diagnosed, at any time from in-flight to many days post-flight. As discussed in paragraph 6.12, prolonged immobility and cramped seating are known to be causative factors for DVT in susceptible individuals. It is a matter of fact that these conditions are readily experienced in the aircraft cabin.
    House of Lords - Science and Technology - Fifth Report
    Box 2
    Predisposing factors for DVT Generally agreed by witnesses
    • Increasing age above 40 years
    • Pregnancy
    • Former or current malignant disease
    • Blood disorders leading to increased clotting tendency
    • Inherited or acquired impairment of blood clotting mechanisms
    • Some types of cardiovascular disease or insufficiency
    • Personal or family history of DVT
    • Recent major surgery or injury, especially to lower limbs or abdomen
    Oestrogen hormone therapy, including oral contraception
    Immobilisation for a day or more
    Depletion of body fluids causing increased blood viscosity
    Witnesses' views variable
    • Varicose veins
    Obesity
    • Current tobacco smoking
    The last 3 things - Oestrogen/the pill, immobilisaton for a day or more and dehydration are the important things as to why "normal" people get DVT.

And since Obesity is a causative factor, and the traveling world population is becoming more obese there are like to to be more cases.... However, one should bear in mind that the study from air raid shelters 60+ yrs ago - the population was NT obese, nor probably even overweight during those war years & rationing.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Airplane seats are rough on us shorties too - I never have enough leg room on a plane (I go it Indian style for the duration of most flights) so if I'm complaining your discomfort must be that much worse.
    Yeah, I used to have a pilot's case that I'd shove under the seat in front of me, now I just make sure that everything is in the overhead locker & try to sit with my legs as flat as possible.... Everyone is in the same position, so one just has to make the best of it.
    Last edited by Novice; September 14th, 2009 at 07:31 AM.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

In before the bus bumper.
    Wow, some of us need to put down our tiara and get a reality check.
    Please do.
    It's seems like some people feel they're so special that they EXPECT not to come into contact with people while in crowded places and situations.
    Do you keep up with the news?
    HELLO! Do you keep up with the news at all???
    Condescending.
    hhhmm, you failed your Economics class, didn't you? Ah, it's ok, we're not all "perfect".
    Completely uncalled for and bitchy.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

czb

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    I really think people who don't fit into one seat should be forced to purchase 2. I was wedged between two very tall, very fat guys on a flight once and it was a nightmare. I was hardly able to move, plus they were both sweating and stinky, blech.
    i've had this happen before and it was awful. but the worst was on one flight between chicago and SF. i was in business class and couldn't recline for half the flight because the fatty in the seat behind me didn't have enough room to use his tray and eat. at first i complied with the flight attendant's request but then i said NO WAY. it's one thing if porky needs his tray to eat, but i'm not going to be uncomfortable just because porky wants to do work. explained this to the flight attendant and she was sympathetic. then i called customer service after the flight was over and complained. sorry, but if you can't fit comfortably in a BUSINESS class seat then you have problems. *end rant*

I don't care how fat, skinny, tall or short you are, no part of you should touch me for more than a few seconds.

Unless you're a hot 20-something male.

Right on Jezi!

I'd even bump it to a 30-something male.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

twitchy2.0, have you read some of the other comments on this thread? There are several "Condescending" & "bitchy" comments made by other members and I didn't notice you wagging your finger and reprimanding them. I wonder why....

heart_leigh, gulp! I would (honestly and without disrespect) expect a lot more knowledge from someone who's studying to be a pilot, wouldn't you??? I just hope it's not for a commercial license.

L1049
    Nice list. So you agree then that Singapore Airlines offer economy seats that are inches wider than some top US airlines. Yes they also have 17.5" seats but considering that the average economy seats are 17.2" (and some for ex. Southwest's actually go smaller than this) the fact that SA 19" seats is still pretty awesome and you will definitely know this if you've flown with SA on their wider seat economy class - you won't even feel that you're in economy, and you'll ask yourself if they can do it, why can't more airlines do it? Btw, AA B772 would be among my top choices when flying but 18" seats is definitely not the norm in most US based airlines especially on domestic flights.

The argument that the success of an airline lies in making seats uncomfortably small to add more space for more passengers is clearly flawed and incredibly simplistic. The success of airlines relies on many factors and customer satisfaction is a big one. A client should expect a company to cater to a DIVERSE GROUP of people especially in the most diverse country of all, and a client expects to be treated well - now here is where a simple concept should be applied. Some industries have caught on to this, like the movie theatre industry, which has been in hot water for some time. Some have responded by building luxury theatres with larger and more comfortable and diverse seats, automated ticket booths, lobby amenities, etc. The logic being that if clients will spend $11 on a movie ticket, instead of downloading a movie, then it has to be a nice and comfortable theatre. I would hold the movie theatre responsible for my seating comfort. I would not do the: 'ZOMG! fat people! who need to lose weight or not be allowed in the theatre!!!1!!!'

But then again, there are choices that the "entitled" can make. If I'm feeling like a princess who is entitled to not have a fattie sit next to me because ZOMG fat flesh will touch me and give me fat disease!!! Then I'll PAY for my Princess Business or First class ticket and that way no one will touch my lovely thin thighs and no one can call me out for being an elitist and deluded wannabe princess bitching about common folk...who is only being able to afford common folk tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Right on Jezi!

Or possibly a 40-something by the name of Johnny Depp. But that's where I draw the line.

A mini mani...keep it comin katez, you're just getting going here.

katez, katez, katez...

Can't imagine why anyone would get so worked up over this thread but carry on.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll

Well I can imagine why and I think katez has valid points even if coming in like gangbusters as a noob may not be the best approach.

I notice that she's made no attempt to address this asspect...
    Well, actually, toward the beginning I did attempt to shift myself over, but I was already pretty much filling up the seat and to my left there was sick boyfriend body taking up the rest of the room. It was either make my self uncomfortable for hours or just let my leg do it's own fat thang. And so I let it, haha.
    God forbid that that person be inconvenienced at the expense of someone else....

BTW you're missing the point the entitle princess was the "fattie" as you call her.....
    But then again, there are choices that the "entitled" can make. If I'm feeling like a princess who is entitled to not have a fattie sit next to me because ZOMG fat flesh will touch me and give me fat disease!!! Then I'll PAY for my Princess Business or First class ticket and that way no one will touch my lovely thin thighs and no one can call me out for being an elitist and deluded wannabe princess bitching about common folk...who is only being able to afford common folk tickets.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Right on Jezi!

Heck ! Any decent looking man can touch me right now

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Katez, you're all over the fucking map here. What is your point? Are you saying people who don't want to have their personal space intruded upon should live in bubbles, fly private and have home theatres? Are you saying the issue should be taken up with the airline and entertainment industries? What the fuck are you trying to say?
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Katez, you're all over the fucking map here. What is your point? Are you saying people who don't want to have their personal space intruded upon should live in bubbles, fly private and have home theatres? Are you saying the issue should be taken up with the airline and entertainment industries? What the fuck are you trying to say?
    That thin people should quit moaning and embrace the crushed feeling!

Well ok Dolce, but I'm trying not to sound desperate here, I'm a lady after all and a lady must have her standards (or at least avoid a jail sentence and violation of the gay math rule).

Replying to earlier post.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information