Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Leg fat etiquette

I prefer a lot of personal space. So if personal space which I paid for - ie, a theatre seat - is intruded upon by an unwelcome visitor, it makes me cranky. Nothing to do with fatness. It's simply about basic politeness towards strangers; don't assume some random is going to be fine with you "oozing" into their seat, rubbing your thigh against them, leaning too close to them or anything similar. Most people are decent about it, thankfully. But my encounters with those who aren't have been spectacular at times. I'm not the kind of ass who yells at store staff or other strangers for trivial reasons because I'm a miserable loser, but if you're considerate towards my "bubble" I get quite testy.

I just feel very uncomfortable if it's intruded upon. I even think people tend to hug too much - I'll hug you if your grandma just died, not if it's simply because I'm greeting you for the first time since I saw you a mere week ago...

I freaking hate it when I'm sitting on the bus and someone (male, female, fat, skinny, whatever) sitting next to me starts napping and leaning drowsily on me. WTH? Needless to say they always get brought back to alertness again with an "accidental" shove of my shoulder.

oh, I just shivered reading this post above mine... This is when I realise I HATE people in general. Oh, I want my personal space, and I don't want to touch strangers in any way, I live in an overcrowded city and I want space.

There was a scientific experiment, checking people's behaviour how they choose a space to sit on a metro (no divisions between the seats just the sort of "general thought" who takes up how much space) and as they let people in, they always took a position that is in equal distance from others on either side. As they overfilled the space, the barriers (empty spaces between them) got smaller and smaller but still sort of equal. So they wouldn't touch. If I was in that experiment I guess I would have chosen hanging from the ceiling...

About the seats: whenever I fly I book an extra seat for my kids even from the time they were little and they were only allowed to travel attached to me. Why? Because I don't want to overflow and invade an other person's space and in turn I want to receive the same courtesy.

I'm sure seat will be made wider since the general population increases in size but still there're gonna be people who are bigger than that and no, I'm sorry they don't deserve more because they are bigger. I used to be bigger and I didn't expect any stranger to give up half of his/her seat because my fat thighs couldn't fit on my side.

This whole thing reminds me of that scandalous claim in Manchester I think where an obese family wanted even more benefits because they are fat.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    thin, fat, i don't care what condition their body is in, i don't want strangers in my personal space and touching me.....i don't care about an accidental brush up against, but don't be leaning on me.

and yes, when I pay for a ticket, i expect full use of the seat, not just admission to the event
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
    My seat is my seat, yours is yours. If you don't fit in yours, get a second one. It's neither my fault nor my problem if someone can't fit into their seat and it doesn't entitle them to taking any part of mine. I hate to sound harsh, but I have spent way too many plane rides squished into uncomfortable positions to be very sympathetic about it.
    i totally agree.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Elite Member

I find airline and stadium seats (older ones) to be pretty uncomfortable. There's never enough leg room in front and I constantly worry about spillage along the sides. I also tend to fidget my legs as my knees tend to stiffen up. I try to get aisle seats (stadiums) or window seats (planes) so I don't disturb the person next to me.

UGH, this sounds like a nightmare. I'm a relatively small person with HUGE proximic needs, and I always find that men are the worst offenders on public transportation. They all seem to think that their balls are ENORMOUS and spread their legs to almost splits-proportions while knocking my knee. Fortunately, most of the weight-challenged have been much more civil; the last few large women I've sat next to on flights have rested their arms on their abdomens (instead of pushing up the armrest).

On another note, I overheard a nice-looking guy yesterday say "I understand why men rub up against women on the subway. They're wearing these nice dresses, it's really hot, you know..."

Double gross.

The male leg-spreaders also tick me off. They're making a conscious choice to invade your space, which is doubly offensive and aggressive to boot. If I'm seated by them for any length of time, I will say something--usually "Excuse me, do you think you could move your leg out of my area?" They look at me like I'm crazy, but usually will do it. It's usually the short and stumpy ones who do this, BTW. The taller guys have had to learn throughout life that they just need to sit up taller and put their knees together to fit into a seat.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    thin, fat, i don't care what condition their body is in, i don't want strangers in my personal space and touching me.....i don't care about an accidental brush up against, but don't be leaning on me.

and yes, when I pay for a ticket, i expect full use of the seat, not just admission to the event
    pisses me off!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    She said 290 lbs. (Brits--please don't make me translate that into stones!)
    Hint:- REally fucking fat, especially at 5ft0"!!!

OMG, yes! There is a person I know who does this to me. I've actually asked her to move away or stop touching me. I didn't know if she was being passive-aggressive or just didn't realize she was doing it. I say it in a nice way, for example if she's leaning on my arm, I'll jiggle it and say "Excuse me", but I do make a point of saying something now. She's one of the angriest people I know, so I don't know what her motivation is.
    the combination of those two things is scary!

Quote Originally Posted by katerpillar View Post
    I freaking hate it when I'm sitting on the bus and someone (male, female, fat, skinny, whatever) sitting next to me starts napping and leaning drowsily on me. WTH? Needless to say they always get brought back to alertness again with an "accidental" shove of my shoulder.
    And this is why I never sleep on public transport... except one time when I woke up snuggled up against a charming young student (it was 2? yrs ago...)... I was SO embarassed, but he just smiled & told me to go back to sleep! WTF???

I'm not particularly tall (5'8")_ but I have long legs (34" inside leg) & am long hip to knee... I hate planes for that reason, you have to wedge yourself in & if the person in front puts their seat back... Hell I just hate flying really. That front/back personal space thing is the worst for me, I think.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

The male leg-spreaders also tick me off. They're making a conscious choice to invade your space, which is doubly offensive and aggressive to boot.
    Yes, yes, yes, yes. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I ride the bus and subway all the time so I encounter this frequently. I think to myself, close your legs Dude, your junk just can't be all that huge, can't you sit nicely?

If I am physically uncomfortable no matter what the reason, I'll get up and move without fanfare.

I'll move if I can, but if I'm in sardine city and have a long way to go, I'll say something unless the guy looks like a total dick. The nastiest ones are the frat boy/young lawyer types.

^^ Thats coz they're all ego & no balls!

I hate them!
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Some fatties behave badly to provoke a negative response and then play the "fat card" just like some people play the race or the disabled card. They usually claim to be happy fatties and proud of their 'curves' when in fact they have a huge chip (no pun intended) on their shoulder.

Fatties are not 'disabled' because most of them can cure their disability by losing some damn weight. It's not always easy but that's not the point.
    I weigh more than I should and think your statement is silly. If you are expecting people to play "cards" then you will only see what you want to. I've never squashed a person with my legs (my excess weight is on my tummy right now) but if I did it would have been an accident and not an act of provocation.

I've read that people in American who are seriously obese go around on scooters when visiting theme parks etc so are probably classed as disabled now. If they can't wipe their own arse/walk without help then they probably should be classed as needing help. And a diet.

I really think people who don't fit into one seat should be forced to purchase 2. I was wedged between two very tall, very fat guys on a flight once and it was a nightmare. I was hardly able to move, plus they were both sweating and stinky, blech.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    I really think people who don't fit into one seat should be forced to purchase 2. I was wedged between two very tall, very fat guys on a flight once and it was a nightmare. I was hardly able to move, plus they were both sweating and stinky, blech.
    Many airlines now charge for 2 seats. My MIL flew recently and at 5"5' and 330 lbs so was annoyed at having to buy 2 seats. Too effin' bad! You're taking up more than your seat lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    I think a lot of larger people are sensitive or get defensive about their size when, IMO, it's just a common courtesy for anyone--skinny, large, tall, short-- to stay in their own personal bubble and get the fuck out of mine.
    I agree. I am really weird about people touching me, or brushing up against me in public places. I understand if it is crowded, and hard to avoid, but when I am in a theatre (or similar setting), I get really upset when people encroach upon my space. And it has nothing to do with a person's size at all. There have been plenty of situations where I was driven insane over an average sized person's hand on my arm-rest, or leg touching mine, etc.

Some people just need their personal space.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    Many airlines now charge for 2 seats. My MIL flew recently and at 5"5' and 330 lbs so was annoyed at having to buy 2 seats. Too effin' bad! You're taking up more than your seat lady.
    I read once they were going to start basing airline ticket prices by a person's weight. Now there's some incentive to stop putting off that diet.
    Last edited by Tati; September 10th, 2009 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    I am glad to read that, it's nothing more than fair. If you need a seat for each cheek, you SHOULD have to buy 2.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information