Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree250Likes

Thread: The Keto Diet

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I totally get that. I works for me, but not for everyone. I'm lucky to get that many steps in an entire day. I do try.

Heavy whipping cream has the most fat.

One 8 ounce glass of milk= 12 g carb

One 8 ounce glass of heavy whipping cream = 6 g carb

Of course you would never put that much in a drink. But you want to highest amount of fat with the least amount of carbs. So a spoon or two of HWC makes your morning drink that much more full of good fat. That is if you like dairy. I like adding the HWC to my sauces or salad dressings. Sour cream is now a staple too. And cream cheese.

Omelettes with cheese and cream cheese and a bit of ham or whatever is a good meal. Just skip the juice and toast.
    Ah so instead of making Ranch with yogurt I make it with “heavy” cream. I need to work out the uk equivalent.
    Ah! Thank you! It’s useful to have these bite size pieces of info (sorry about the pun!).
    If I am not walking I am lifting as I am rarely in the office. So I think I am “fairly” active.
    A couple of close friends have “bullied” (lol) me into joining an internet dating site & I realised that I’ve held off because I’m not happy with my weight. I decided on 01012019 that I needed to lose this year and just want to take it steady (not the whole drop 8lbs in 7 days stuff)
    Quote Originally Posted by missbazilb View Post
    I've been doing keto since early July. I have a whole long email full of tips - I can pm it to you if you'd like. I send it to friends who want a condensed info package.

I'm into IF now too, eat between noon and about 7 pm. I love it!
    Oh yes please! That would be great - this applies to anyone I already had a load of info from B which I probably need to dig out.
    I have Monday & Tuesday off so am going to try see if I can kick start this???
    sprynkles likes this.

Sent!

Got it! Love it! Am on it!

Thank you!

Mrs P and Witchywoman like this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Thank you Lovely x

Do you guys eat any fruit on this diet? Or only low carb fruit? Any veggies? Or only low carb veggies and no fruit? And what about dairy, I like to make smoothies with kefir but I checked the carb content and 1 cup has 12 carbs. And I like to add blueberries, and those have 21 carbs per cup. Do you just count all carbs and don't go over a certain number? If so, what is that number or does it vary from person to person? Oyyy, it looks complicated!!
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Do you guys eat any fruit on this diet? Or only low carb fruit? Any veggies? Or only low carb veggies and no fruit? And what about dairy, I like to make smoothies with kefir but I checked the carb content and 1 cup has 12 carbs. And I like to add blueberries, and those have 21 carbs per cup. Do you just count all carbs and don't go over a certain number? If so, what is that number or does it vary from person to person? Oyyy, it looks complicated!!
    Some people aim for 20g of carbs per day as an upper limit, some 30g. Strict keto is usually around there, but you can still lose weight doing "lazy keto", or by upping those numbers a bit while getting a lot of exercise. I eat all kinds of veggies except for carrots and peas, (obviously no corn or potatoes), save for a few now and again. Very sweet fruits like papaya, mango, pineapple deliver a lot of carbs, but fruit can be enjoyed in small quantities; it's all about the total numbers at the end of the day. Small portions of berries are generally a good choice, or some apple slices with no-sugar peanut butter. I'll give my kids like most of a banana and then have a small bite if I'm craving it, for example.

My dairy comes in the form of high-fat stuff - cheeses, heavy cream in coffee, sometimes bulletproof coffee. Something like unsweetened almond milk and smaller portions of fruit/berries could work in a smoothie, I know a lot of people do make them that way. You can add a splash of heavy cream to thicken up the almond milk if you like and can add unsweetened (but still flavoured if you like) protein powder, avocado, or powdered peanut butter.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Some people aim for 20g of carbs per day as an upper limit, some 30g. Strict keto is usually around there, but you can still lose weight doing "lazy keto", or by upping those numbers a bit while getting a lot of exercise. I eat all kinds of veggies except for carrots and peas, (obviously no corn or potatoes), save for a few now and again. Very sweet fruits like papaya, mango, pineapple deliver a lot of carbs, but fruit can be enjoyed in small quantities; it's all about the total numbers at the end of the day. Small portions of berries are generally a good choice, or some apple slices with no-sugar peanut butter. I'll give my kids like most of a banana and then have a small bite if I'm craving it, for example.

My dairy comes in the form of high-fat stuff - cheeses, heavy cream in coffee, sometimes bulletproof coffee. Something like unsweetened almond milk and smaller portions of fruit/berries could work in a smoothie, I know a lot of people do make them that way. You can add a splash of heavy cream to thicken up the almond milk if you like and can add unsweetened (but still flavoured if you like) protein powder, avocado, or powdered peanut butter.
    Thanks Tati, that's a lot of great advice and much appreciated. I never really paid attention to carbs before and it sure is an eye opener to try to restrict them. They are everywhere and they add up so fast.
    sprynkles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post

When I did keto years ago, max amount of carbs was 20g. Usually I'd eat broccoli for my veg. Used to buy the pee sticks from the pharmacy to make sure I was in ketosis. I lived off of meat, mustard and broccoli. I'll be doing it again soon. It's hard though when Mr P does the shopping.

Damn, did you all know Trader Joe's flour wraps have 35 carbs each? I just ate the filling, no wrap. I feel virtuous.
    sprynkles likes this.

How are y’all keeping to keto?
    my head is my own worst enemy....
    sprynkles likes this.

I'm still doing it. The beginning of the month was a carb fest because of constant catering at work for 2 weeks. But I didn't really overdo it. I did gain a pound back though. Oh well, no regrets. I am more or less "dirty keto". It works for me.

I have just a few more pounds to go and I will be at my first goal. I don't know if I want to go too much under 150. I would LOVE to have some Cool Sculpting done around my belly and hips. I better start saving up because I don't think that fat is going away anytime soon.
    Novice likes this.

I need to go back to the beginning of this thread...I thought about doing this, but a) it sounds like a lot of work, which would be fine, but I don't work normal hours anymore and I am now pretty much never cooking much more than scrambled eggs and depend on getting my food out (not fast foot, just...out) and b) lately, I get hungry if I don't eat some semblance of carbs and c) I don't even think I have time to eat as much stuff as you're supposed to eat...oh, and 4) someone made me try bulletproof coffee and it was one of the most vile things I've ever drank. (ETA - the bullet proof coffee was the octane oil and butter and collagen...I don't know if it's less gross with something else in it.)

You can eat dairy though, right? (Never mind, I see that you can.)
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I have a lot of salads with my protein just on the salad. I was a big salad eater before so I find it enjoyable. Just no croutons and bread.

If you like avocados, macadamia nuts and olives, they are good fats and fill you up. I don't do bulletproof coffee with all that stuff in it. But I do add a dollop of coconut oil and a splash of HWC to my tea or coffee.

I don't find doing this any more expensive really. I actually eat a lot less on keto most of the time because it's pretty filling eating the good fats. I've never felt better. No more acid reflux. That ended immediately after I stopped drinking beer and went low carb. Another bonus, you're not really ever gassy on low carb.

I started all this last year by intermittent fasting. Which I still do and enjoy. It is really nice not having to pack a bunch of food around with you. I learned that I do not need to be eating every few hours. It is a different way of thinking that isn't for everybody. I get that. It's the IF that really makes me feel the best. I try to do it a few days a week at least. Just dinner after work. But I don't always make it. I have nuts in my locker at work in case I feel a bit low blood sugary. I think that happens after having too many carbs in the previous days.

For me it's been fun and enjoyable. I already was a big fan of cheese and creamy ranch dressing and nuts. It was always so hard to give those up on other diets. I don't have to on keto.
    Waterslide and MsDark like this.

May
    Bronze Member

How long does it normally take to lose 10 lbs on this? I'm not loving the way I look in a swimsuit right now.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information