Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: The Keto Diet

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I make a mouse like chocolate creamy dessert with heavy wc, coco powder and sweeten with stevia powder. I put it in the freezer for a bit and it's a pretty good ice cream sub.
    That sounds good advice & useful!

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Woot. Lost 5 lbs my first week on lazy keto. That's about all the extra water weight my dehydrated body carries.

I really need to concentrate on drinking more water, I'm so bad about that.
    Do I need to ask what “lazy Leto” is?
    Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    I'm 39# down. Had to buy new underwear this weekend.
    This is just so inspiring MsD. I know B sent me a load of info on keto diet but does anyone have any advice on the fact I have a sugar addiction and also that I work shifts? My shifts are a week of early shifts then a week of late shifts; I either get up or go to bed at 4am; I’m confused by it my body is confused by it and so is my dog

Lazy keto (for me) means not tracking calories and not measuring, just mentally tallying how many carbs I'm eating. I try for ~20g per day, and I know that means I'll probably end up around 30g since "eyeballing" nearly always means you're going over. I only feel ok with this because the first time I did keto I religiously measured portions and calories and have memorized the carb content of what I'm eating before I eat it.

The sugar addiction is hard to beat, like any addiction. The first time around I would say I didn't have a sugar addiction. Now, after pregnancy...unfortunately I do. The cravings are hard to beat, like cigarettes must be, or any other addiction. I get hit with a sweets craving at night after dinner and if I feed it with any sweets--even the "allowed" ones like berries or no-carb sweeteners, the cravings are. STILL. THERE.

Last time I didn't do any fake sweeteners (I'm talking sugar-free candies, syrups, anything that tastes sweet) and the hunger went away I'd say within 2 weeks.
    This time, I'm about a month in and it's killing me to be hungry after dinner.
    So I'd recommend

1) No fake sweets, go completely cold-turkey. It's hard and no sugar addict wants to hear it but otherwise you'll be torturing yourself for far longer like me.

2) Track all calories, carbs, protein, and measure everything. Eventually you won't need to.
    Novice likes this.

If you do use Stevia make sure it doesn't have additives in it like...

Just a few of the additives that are often added to processed stevia products include:

• Dextrose (a form of sugar)
    • Erythritol (another form of sugar)
    • Maltodextrin (which may contain MSG)
    • Corn starch (likely GMO)
    • Natural flavors (which could be anything)
    • Silica

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

I used to be crazy OCD about tracking calories and nutrients and the like, and I don't know how it happened but one day the switch in my brain flipped and said, "Think of food as fuel. Gas up your car. If you need to put a little extra in the tank, that's oK, just don't do it every day."

Made all the difference. No longer weigh; go by how my clothes fit and don't feel the specter of eating or a diet hanging over my shoulder.

Yeah, my brain won’t do that (or hasn’t so far) due to other brain ‘issues’.

I read the 5 day Keto diet that I think Sprynkles linked to & having seen my shift pattern for the next month I might be able to do this in the coming week.

B - with the sugar I can goes ages without & then fall off the wagon & this time I’m struggling to get back on the wagon. My confidence in myself has been rocked this last year and I think I am seeking solace in chocolate
    Beeyotch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    If you do use Stevia make sure it doesn't have additives in it like...

Just a few of the additives that are often added to processed stevia products include:

• Dextrose (a form of sugar)
    • Erythritol (another form of sugar)
    • Maltodextrin (which may contain MSG)
    • Corn starch (likely GMO)
    • Natural flavors (which could be anything)
    • Silica

I have only found like one or two brands in my area which don't have crap in it. It's such a pain that I've decreased my use altogether.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

If you have a Whole Foods in your area try their 365 brand of stevia powder. I really like it and it only contains organic stevia leaf extract. It comes with a shaker lid and has a tiny white spoon with a long handle inside the bottle.

I've been using the liquid erythritol sweeteners--Monin Syrups for coffee. Erythritol has no effect on insulin, so it won't make you hungry.

They have a plain non-flavor kind that can go in everything.

We order from Amazon and have a lineup of flavors: vanilla (goes fastest), hazelnut, caramel. And Belgian Cookie flavor from Torani, different brand but also erythritol.
    Novice likes this.

Well...I've been bad today. It started out good with a nice fluffy veggie omelette and some bacon. I decided to try and make some butter. I did and it was

awesome. But I needed something to put it on. I mean my gawd, I haven't had any bread in 6 months!

I had some little bake at home loaves of bread in the freezer. As I was waiting for one to thaw out, I ate a bowl of Golden Grahams! Omg! It was so effen good.

So now I'm full of carbs and feel full as hell. And there was some gas. It made me realize I haven't had gas in months.

Back on the low carb thing tomorrow. I may fast the whole day to make up for the naughtiness.
    Beeyotch likes this.

Carb high during my weekend in NO made me feel like a crack head. Then I felt bloated and gassy for about 2 days. And run down and hungry for about the first 2-3 days after going back to keto. I dunno if I'll ever do a whole weekend (3 days) binge again. If I decide to cheat again it might be for a day tops. Might have to save it for the holidays.

Been back on keto for almost 2 weeks now and my bloated gut has gone back down but not sure if I'm back to losing. I weighed about a week back into it and I still hadn't lost. But at least I didn't gain while doing the binge weekend. As mentioned before, maybe all the walking I did helped balance that out. I guess I'll weigh again tomorrow since it's been about a week since I last did so.

I still want to lose some more so I'm not done yet. Actually, I don't think I'll ever give it up. But I'm thinking that once I get to a weight I'm happy with I'll bump the carbs up to about 40-50g a day...which some people are still able to be in keto at, but I have to take it down to 20-30g to get/keep my body there.

I'm wondering that if I get back into the gym regularly (meaning at least 2-3x/wk) if I could be one of those who could get away with 40-50g? I guess I will think about that when the time comes.

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I had a carb-fest when I was ill & seemed to put in 8-10 lbs in 2 weeks, now I’m back to low carbs I’m back to my “usual” (i.e. stuck-at) weight.
    This week I am working on breaking my sugar habit (started yesterday- baby steps!!!) before I try to full keto stuff
    You guys have some great resources though & I have plenty of info to go at.

I’ve kind of decided that a pair of jeans that have been hung on the front of my wardrobe for nearly a year, well it’s tome to get back into them. Two sizes so 30lb? By Xmas.... (it seems to have taken me a year to lose 28lbs so I’m trying to motivate me).
    sprynkles likes this.

I weighed again yesterday and I'm down 1.2# so guess I'm back "on" again. Novice 30# (or more) by Xmas is definitely do-able with Keto if you don't cheat. I have been losing anywhere from 1-2# a week, which is fine by me. I feel like losing it slower will help to keep it off easier.

I now plan on getting down to where I was before DarkJr, maybe even lighter, as I don't work out hard like I used to then. But since it's been so long/I'm older now, I may just end up liking the way I look before I get down to that weight. I've been within 10# of it, but never quite made it. More than numbers I'll go by what I can wear and how I look.
    Novice likes this.

I'm having such a hard time staving off cravings. They're hitting me hard. I still want cereal, really bad. And I feel like I'm only one "fuck it" away from pizza or lasagna or such.

I have the Mirena in and I've read that it can make it extra hard to lose weight.

Or maybe I'm just a fattie, lol.
    Novice likes this.

I've been feeling the same way Bee. I've been so good for so long. Maybe it's the changing seasons. I really wanted a "fuck it" pizza

yesterday. I bought some coconut flour tortilla chips. They are not as good as the real thing but it's a crunchy snack I can melt some

cheese on and dip in salsa. It helps with the craving to cheat. A little. I still feel fat from my Saturday cheat day. And it really wasn't

worth it. We might be having a lasagna day in my dept soon, this week or next and I'm going for it. Then there's a potluck for the

whole station next week. It's like September kicks off this 3 month eating party here at work. It is going to be challenging to say the

least.

I'd like to drop another 20 by Christmas. I've been buying myself new clothes for the first time in years and it feels great. I'm not

going to eff it up. But there are moments, for sure.
    Kittylady, Beeyotch and Novice like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I have had a couple of days that have made me say "fuck it!" so tonight we had a big fuck off plate of spaghetti and meatballs in an arribiata sauce. I've probably just undone all my good work of late but it was either that or do damage to someone (which is definitely not going to happen now because I'm too bloated to move).
    fgg, sprynkles and Novice like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information