Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: The Keto Diet

I don't think my breath has ever stank. But I brush and floss several times a day so maybe that has masked it? In fact, probably more now than ever. Now that I'm older I've gotten to where I can't stand anything on or between my teeth after I eat. But I probably do it more now because I'm eating more things that get stuck in my teeth (meat, veg, nuts).

I think my urine is a tad stronger. I try to drink plenty of water to balance it out.

But my appetite is completely under control and I feel very focused and clear-headed. And sleep like a baby.

No longer on anti-depressants, anti-anxiety and though I'm still taking heart burn meds I've been able to cut that by about half the dose I was taking.

I did have to up my magnesium and potassium in the form of supplement tabs. Was already taking C, B12 and D3 + Calcium, hyaluronic acid (aka my old lady cocktail).
    fgg likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    ^How do you know you're in ketosis? I can't tell. I just hope.
    I followed this guy’s advice, non-invasive and inexpensive

https://youtu.be/ktZ6WtM3QNo
    sprynkles likes this.

Thank you for that. I'll give it a try for sure.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Ok, today I started the total opposite of the Keto Diet. The Potato diet. I was intrigued when I read the Penn Jillette used it to lose 100+ lbs, and Kevin Smith just started it and lost 18lb in 2 weeks. It's not designed to be a long term solution, but more of a reset. Plus, I really only need to lose 10lbs, or I have to buy all new clothes.

The premise is you only eat potatoes and eat as much of them as you want. No oil, no butter, no frying. Pure potatoes. I ate 3 baked potatoes for lunch, plain, and am going to make a big batch of mashed potatoes tonight, and add in garlic, maybe a little onion. Because of the starch, the potato makes you feel fuller longer, so you're not hungry, and because it's so bland, it retrains your brain in terms of eating. I dunno if it's going to work, but I've definitely tried dumber shit, so here goes. I'll keep you posted.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Oh my gosh, good luck, Louis!!! The first thing I think of when I think of potatoes is BUTTER.

My cousin is trying to lure me into a group fitness thing. She just lost a ton of weight, so she's a walking billboard, but I'm not sure I'm ready to go full bore into a workout regime. I'm so out of shape that I'll be winded in a minute. I have two cousins that are really into Shakeology. Is that something any of you tried (is it keto?)? I have never liked powdered shakes because I can always taste the grit. On Black Friday, I bought a Cuisinart hand blender that was designed for smoothies and shakes, so that might make a difference for me.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

czb

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post

The premise is you only eat potatoes and eat as much of them as you want. No oil, no butter, no frying. Pure potatoes. I ate 3 baked potatoes for lunch, plain, and am going to make a big batch of mashed potatoes tonight, and add in garlic, maybe a little onion. Because of the starch, the potato makes you feel fuller longer, so you're not hungry, and because it's so bland, it retrains your brain in terms of eating. I dunno if it's going to work, but I've definitely tried dumber shit, so here goes. I'll keep you posted.
    i'm not a nutritionist, so maybe someone like bee can weigh in, but i think any time you do an 'only' diet - ice cream, grapefruit (remember those diets in the 70s?), broccoli - whatever, you do lose weight. but you lose it because your body is not getting adequate nutrition and goes into starvation mode. at least, that's how my old phd biochemistry roommate described it to me. but then when you go back to your normal diet, you gain everything back.

this just sounds like the opposite of healthy. please think about it.

The reason potatoes aren't on the keto diet is because potatoes raise insulin levels. I watched the Penn video about his potato diet. Hey, I'm glad it worked for him.

Yeah I thoroughly researched this for the past 2 weeks. The only thing I’ve ever lost weight with is the HCG diet. Low carb, calorie counting, exercise, don’t move the needle for me. This is very similar to HCG, but with no shots. And I never have a ridiculous amount of weight to lose. Usually only 10 lbs. it’s not a long term diet, but it will suit its purpose.

What I like is that I still get a wide variety of foods on the keto diet. And feel full on just 1-2 meals a day. Hell, I'm not even a diabetic but... Eating foods that don't produce an insulin response has made a huge change in how I feel throughout the day and overall. I don't get that spike and crash with meals anymore, where I feel like I want to pass out after eating lunch.

It's great not even craving those foods. I could have had a cheat day/cheat meal several times over by now but I haven't even had the desire for it.

My hair/skin/nails have never looked better. That's the fat intake I'm sure. I'm sleeping like a baby at night too. 35# down.
    louiswinthorpe111, czb and Nevan like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Bronze Member

i didint try it but i might do

So just for an update on the potato diet, I was on it for a week, lost 6 lbs. I've resumed somewhat normal eating, although my eating capacity is not that much, but I've had a slice of pizza and taco or two. I've been able to maintain it without putting it back on.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Six pounds is nice. I am so curious about this. How long did you do it and will it be a long while until you touch a potato again?

I only did it for a week, because that's really all the time I had before I left for vacation.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I learned to vary potato species. Plain baked sweet potatoes aren't really too bad. Otherwise I had to get creative in preparation. I had mashed potatoes that I took the leftovers and seared in the skillet with a little Pam, like a potato pancake. I also sliced some and put in the air fryer. I did use Mrs Dash for some seasoning. but I can truthfully say I haven't eaten a potato in a week. I missed tacos. And pasta. Of which I've eaten both in the past week. I think it does help to reset portion control, because I can't eat nearly the quantity I used to before I get full.

Sorry I hijacked the Keto Thread. I just realized there was a weigh loss thread. I probably should have put this in there.
    Nevan likes this.

No worries. I don't think it matters.

I am seriously stalled. I haven't had much progress in a month. I need to kick it up a notch and I think the intermittent fasting was really helping me and I have sort of gone off that. Faithanne just mentioned it in the other thread. I thought "oh yeah" that did work well.
    Nevan likes this.

^^ I tried that. However, I discover I lose track of time and don't really remember when I ate. lol

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information