Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: The Keto Diet

^^ Nice meal!

I like not eating processed carbs and not eating much or any grains. Heavy carb eating to me is pizza, bagels and a bowl of pasta. A couple of times per week I'll eat quinoa, farro (1/3) or half of a sweet potato. I'm 'watching' not 'restricting'. What this has done is make me be less hungry which I think other's have said as well. I am trying to change one life long habit of eating a snack before bed. I don't know where that came from but I want to change that. I would love not to eat a thing between 9pm and 11 am. My stomach acids start making noise at 11 pm and I don't even think I'm actually hungry.

Watch Dr. Mike explain Keto. Cutie pie. Wait for the doggie at the end.

He's cute.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

sprynkles likes this.

Thank you. So many dinners!

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I used to be all about "X diet," whatever was popular. What worked for me is to just stop that, the outside sources, and tune in to what works for my body. Not every way of eating is going to work for everyone, despite the claims. A couple of books by reputable authors *not* involved in the "diet industry" helped...Michael Pollan's books are fantastic.

if you eat things laden with chemicals all the time, your body can't recognize those unnatural ingredients and will store those calories as other than an energy source. Eating should be fun and savored; and we don't have to eat "clean" all of the time. But as long as we figure out what fuels our bodies and look at food as just that -- fuel, like gas for the car of the machine that is our bodies, it's all good.

A few meals won't derail a person. It is the repeated habit that will. Once this realization finally hit me, gave up on calories and the scale. AND TRACKING, I became so obsessive about it. Now, I go by food and how my body responds and when I am really hungry and how my clothes fit. I'm 50, and was sizing out of a tight 14, heading toward a 16, a few years ago. For my height, that was too much weight to carry.

Oncw that switch flipped and I put numbers and calorie counts by the wayside, it was such a relief. I started to view food and beverages as fuel (or lack thereof) and that made all the difference. I'm 5'8" and an 8-10 now, sometimes a 6, going my jean sizes (and vanity sizing--pants I have from decades ago that are classic that would be labeled 6 or 8 now were labeled 10 or 12 then, when I was in my early 20s and between 120-135 lbs) depending on the season (we tend to eat a lot of football food during college football season).

Thing is, I no longer fight my body. I know I lost it and to toned it several times before and can do so again. That revelation was so freeing.

it wasn't until I let go of being so concerned about the "numbers" that I embraced that. Don't buy new clothes often; so when they get tight, it is back to the drawing board, as they say.
    czb, C_is_for_Cookie and Novice like this.

Chalet, thank you for posting those recipes. I have been on that website (while at work) all morning. It's just wonderful. There is a 5 day lose 10 pounds diet I think Ill try starting Sunday. It looks super simple and totally doable. I have been lingering at 175 for too long.
    https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/5-d...aleo-whole-30/
    Novice likes this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

I've hit the 30# mark.
    Nevan, czb, BrickHouse and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    I've hit the 30# mark.
    Congratulations!! ��

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Chalet, thank you for posting those recipes. I have been on that website (while at work) all morning. It's just wonderful. There is a 5 day lose 10 pounds diet I think Ill try starting Sunday. It looks super simple and totally doable. I have been lingering at 175 for too long.
    https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/5-d...aleo-whole-30/
    I'm so glad! I don't know what these naysayers are all on about. It's balanced, it's mindful and there's nothing gimmicky about it. We should eat way less food anyway. Up the nutritional value of our foods, eat way way less dairy and wheat, watch the high carbs in whole foods and skip the processed carbs. They think people won't be able to maintain it. Why wouldn't they? The less processed carbs you eat, the less sugar you take in, the less hungry you are in a short period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    I've hit the 30# mark.
    Whoa, wow. Fantastic. Wow.

Elite Member

Ketogenic dieters strip pharmacies of life-saving tests for diabetics

https://www.msn.com/en-au/health/medical/ketogenic-dieters-strip-pharmacies-of-life-saving-tests-for-diabetics/ar-AAztauv?li=AAgfDNO&ocid=

ABC News (Australia) 4 hrs ago

(Photo by ABC Health)

Diabetics across Australia are struggling to source an essential piece of equipment used to monitor their health, as urine-testing strips that measure the level of ketones in the body are being purchased in bulk by followers of the ketogenic diet.

Keto diet devotees keep track of their weight loss by monitoring the level of ketones in their body, which are a by-product of fat breakdown created when glucose is restricted.

They measure their ketones by using urine-testing strips available in most pharmacies.

However the testing strips are also used by diabetics like Craig Johnson who can slip into a life-threatening condition called ketoacidosis when their ketone levels are too high.

"In eight years, I've had five onsets of it [ketoacidosis]," Mr Johnson said.

"Fundamentally it's attacking your fat, but it's harmful to your organs, it's harmful to your body.

"I've had a few cracks at it and it's not fun at all."

Mr Johnson was recently hospitalised with ketoacidosis, which he believes he could have detected earlier with keto strips.

However, there were no strips available at his local pharmacist in the northern New South Wales town of Byron Bay.

"The chemist informed me that the day before some bloke came in and bought 10 boxes and I said 'Why the hell would you let him buy 10?'," Mr Johnson said.

"I ended up in Tweed Hospital for a few days because I was quite sick and even they had a shortage.

"One of the nurses said point blank it was due to the new, hip keto diet people were on. I found that a bit frustrating and weird."

Fad dieters put diabetics at risk

South Grafton pharmacist, Michael Troy, who is also a member of the Pharmaceutical Society and Pharmacy Guild of Australia, said the shortage of ketone-testing strips had become widespread since the keto diet returned to popularity.

Mr Troy said he had been unable to buy keto strips in bulk for almost six months.

"It's a supply issue. We just cannot physically get our hands on the stock from any of our wholesalers, so we've not been able to get the products to keep them in stock on the shelves," Mr Troy said.

He is urging other pharmacists to follow his lead and keep keto strips aside only for diabetics.

"Don't get me wrong, weight loss is a great thing, but weight loss compared to a life-threatening diabetic condition? I know which side of the fence I'd rather the products [be] directed towards," he said.

The keto diet promotes the consumption of high levels of protein and aims to push the body into a state known as ketosis, which advocates say involves the burning of fat instead of carbohydrates.

Dieticians Association of Australia spokesman, Alan Barclay, said the keto diet was first popular in the 1920s, made a comeback in the 1970s, and was now back in fashion.

"There's almost a 50-year cycle and if we think about it, there are three major nutrients in food; carbohydrates, fat and protein, and about every 10 years the fad diet of the day focuses on one of those nutrients by setting it out to be the bad guy or the good guy," Dr Barclay said.

"I don't think the ketogenic diet is a good diet because it's extremely restrictive.

"The average person on it has less than 50 grams of carbohydrate in their food a day, which is very little. It's equivalent to a slice of bread, half a cup of rice and a piece of fruit for an average adult."

Diabetics urged to stock up

Diabetes New South Wales and ACT has also struggled to source keto strips, but has now stockpiled the product to sell online.

Educator Angela Blair advised all diabetics to keep a constant supply of strips in their medical kits.

"Rather than waiting until they're sick, it's really a good idea to have that product on hand and just keep checking the expiry date and replenish when you need to," Ms Blair said.

Dr Barclay said he expected the problem to be solved when the next fad diet came along.

"We had about 15–20 years of demonising fat, now we're well into the demonisation of carbohydrates, so there are two choices left: protein — and there's a lot of junk protein around these days like protein bars — [and] the other possibility which I wish would happen is a focus on alcohol," he said.

"Alcohol is the fourth macronutrient and it's the number one source of discretionary kilojoules in the diet of Australians.

"I don't know whether I Quit Booze would be a number one bestseller, but I wish it would."

Quote Originally Posted by *Wookie-Chick* View Post
    Mr Johnson was recently hospitalised with ketoacidosis, which he believes he could have detected earlier with keto strips.

However, there were no strips available at his local pharmacist in the northern New South Wales town of Byron Bay.

"The chemist informed me that the day before some bloke came in and bought 10 boxes and I said 'Why the hell would you let him buy 10?'," Mr Johnson said.

"I ended up in Tweed Hospital for a few days because I was quite sick and even they had a shortage.

"One of the nurses said point blank it was due to the new, hip keto diet people were on. I found that a bit frustrating and weird."
    Yes, it might be frustrating. But at the same time if you have a medical problem and are in need of certain drugs or similar, it's your responsibility to not wait until you're out of your medicine and then blame the pharmacy that doesn't have it in stock.
    sprynkles, A*O and mostroop like this.
    -

I have bought these once and used them once. I don't need them to know when I'm in ketosis. Because I can tell. And I don't fuck around with the diet by making/eating a shitload of foods that are substitutes for things I am no longer supposed to be eating (i.e. by using cups of almond flour, which still has a ton of carbs...or a pound of damn cheese) because I really don't want to eat those things anymore.

And I don't do that bullshit where I only count "net carbs" and overlook total carbs...those dumb Atkins candy bars (they call themselves energy bars but that's a bunch of horseshit...more like 'take your energy' bars) which advertise that they are "only 4g of carbs!" and yet when you turn that bitch over you read that they're really 18g of carbs, and half of that is sugar. Fuck Atkins in it's earholes.

Basically, I don't consider this a diet anymore. It's just the way I eat now.

But to be fair, diabetics (in general) are NOT exactly rushing out and buying these. I wish they would because it would make my job much easier.

Even if I bought keto sticks on the regular I would have no guilt whatsoever.

^How do you know you're in ketosis? I can't tell. I just hope.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    ^How do you know you're in ketosis? I can't tell. I just hope.
    After my weight loss surgery my body was in ketosis for weeks. My breath stunk and nothing alleviated it until I was no longer in ketosis.

I am losing weight and feeling great. I guess that's all that matters. I just read an article on how to know if you're in ketosis. It said that the breathe issue goes away pretty quickly.
    Nevan likes this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information