Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: The Keto Diet

I started using Stevia in the Raw a couple weeks ago. I found out today it has maltodextrin in it. I was wondering why my weight loss has stalled out. Then I wondered what else has hidden carbs. Onions and garlic. Onion and garlic powder.

I'm not super strict and don't keep track of macros. Maybe I should. It looks so complicated.

Good video:

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

No way I'm cooking without onions or garlic
    (So French of me !)

Regarding cheat meals and Keto, I found those videos:
    https://youtu.be/etjdF2Z9pPs
    https://youtu.be/AR2Q8iXFHeU
    https://youtu.be/Tvuv18gJCgw

(both those guys have more videos on the subject by the way !)
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Right now, I eat too much sugar and carbs. What would be the easiest way to start keto and not totally blow it from sugar/carb withdrawal?
    Novice likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    No way I'm cooking without onions or garlic
    (So French of me !)
    Nor would I. I am not suggesting that. I just didn't realize how quickly the carbs can add up. There are 7 grams in a tbsp of garlic powder, for instance.

And Nevan, I think you just decide to do it. I don't know about withdrawal from sugar. Maybe get some very good probiotics and build up your good gut bacteria. I have read when you have a yeast overgrowth in your gut it causes the sugar cravings.

Bronze Member

So I've been on a zero carb diet for around 6 weeks now. Ive been very strict about it and Ive gained 5 lbs? What gives?

I found some Stevia at Wholefoods today that is just Stevia. It comes in a shaker and it is actually very good tasting. The other stuff I had, Stevia in the Raw had an artificial taste to it. Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by SeeSaw View Post
    So I've been on a zero carb diet for around 6 weeks now. Ive been very strict about it and Ive gained 5 lbs? What gives?
    So you're only eating meats and oils?

Bronze Member

Well.. Maybe not zero. Meats, oils, low fat dairy, green veg, nightshades, (not potatoes obviously). Classic low Gi stuff. I've cut out anything remotely related to sugar. What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

Low fat dairy. For keto you would want full fat everything. Fat is the largest part of your daily intake. Heavy whipping cream is all I use. I was never a milk drinker. I would buy it for coffee and whatnot. Now I don't even buy it.

I don't know if that's what is slowing you down. But I spend a great deal of time reading and watching videos about it. It's a great way to get your questions answered.

I made a yummy dessert for myself the other day. I whipped up some whipping cream with some stevia and cocoa powder. I put it in the freezer for a bit, then presto! A delicious cool treat.
    Sonia likes this.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Right now, I eat too much sugar and carbs. What would be the easiest way to start keto and not totally blow it from sugar/carb withdrawal?
    For me, I had to make "fat bombs" for my sweet tooth/dessert demand after dinner. I focus on meat and veggies (not root veggies), and lots of eggs. My rosacea is GONE and I dropped 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks, which gave me enough inspiration to keep on keepin on...

Bronze Member

Thanks! I'll definitely switch to full fat dairy. Sugar substitutes aren't something I've played with much. I've used Stevia leaf but find its a bit too licorice tasting for me. I do like baking though and thought I'd try Swerve soon.

Instead of garlic powder use actual fresh chopped garlic. Less carbs and tastes much better.

So the same amount of sugar and LESS carbs in Reese's peanut butter cups than bananas. Who knew?

Thing is, I probably wouldn't even want to cheat with candy. If I were going to cheat with anything it would be my Mexican restaurant down the street with enchiladas. With rice and beans. And chips and salsa!

I have actually been to Mexican restaurants a couple times since starting keto. Do you know how sad it is to sit there while everyone eats the chips and salsa? Very sad. I did have fajita meat and veggies that was really tasty and filling. I even ended up taking half of it home and eating it for dinner the next day. And the other time I had a chicken taco salad (no shell, no corn/beans/rice).

Yeah basically I just haven't been going. But I miss it. We used to go or order take out from the restaurant around the corner from me about once a week. Those people all know me there and probably wondering where I am! There was a time I used to call a take out order in on the way home from work on a friday (or a sunday when I worked weekends and was off monday) and one of the guys at the bar would have a margarita (or a tequila shot) waiting for me and I'd come in and suck it down before picking up my food! Good times
    Last edited by MsDark; June 15th, 2018 at 11:54 AM.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

There are 7 grams in a tbsp of garlic powder
    I meant carbs, not grams. And it may only be 6 according to other sources.

I agree about the fresh garlic and onions too. I love sprinkling the powder over meats and veggies I'm roasting. I've really fallen in love with roasted Brussels sprouts.

Dr Yusuf exclaimed that his research team were surprised when they saw that increasing fat intake was linked to a lower risk of heart disease. Furthermore, as carbohydrate intake is increased, the risk of heart disease grew stronger.
    From this article: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/in-depth/...r-salim-yusuf/

Okay I made my own "mexican" tonight. Some seasoned ground beef (yes I kept count) sprinkled with some grated cheese, a spoonful of sour cream on the side. About a half cup of a spicy avocado mix made myself with diced red onion, garlic, serrano pepper, and tomato, s&p, and a squeeze of lime.

Small amount of food but very filling. Since it made two servings I'll have the leftover one for lunch or dinner tomorrow.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information