Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Keely Shaye Smith - Pierce Brosnan's wife

Default Re: Keely Shaye Smith - Pierce Brosnan's wife

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdiamondgrl
    I've been lurking and I am jumping in again.

Until the media and society at large celebrates women of all sizes (obviously, I am not speaking of obesity) as healthy and attractive, we are always going to have these issues.

For many, size 14 or 16 is as good as it gets-without resorting to diet pills, eating disorders, liposuction or surgery. It may take alot of effort to stay there, and if a concerted effort wasn't made, they may be quite a bit larger. Who are we to make assumptions that they are lazy or have "let themselves go?" when several are trying so hard to be as healthy as possible for their genetics and body type? How do we know people aren't doing the best they can? Don't overweight people deserve to eat an occasional treat without scrutiny? Aren't they allowed to be hungry without being judged?

My theory is that women like Kirstie Alley, Delta Burke, and Keely have something in common. They starved, popped pills and lived in deprivation for years because their natural body type was not acceptable by industry standards. As a result, they couldn't fight anymore and they gained 50 to 100 lbs. That kind of weight gain would never have occured if they had been acceptable at their natural body type, which my guess would have maybe been size 8, 10, or 12-whatever. Their metabolisms were shot to hell, accompanied by what I would guess to be major overeating to compensate for years of self denial. I certainly can't judge them for that.

I have been on both sides of the spectrum, I was a size 4-6 for a few years, but I only acheived that through diet pills, smoking, eliminating entire food groups,and constant exercise. Fast forward to today, I am now a mother and I am a size 8, occasionally 10. I was treated alot differently when I was slimmer, but I am no longer willing or able to do what it would take to be there again. I want to enjoy my life, and I don't want to teach my 3 year old daughter food and weight obsession.

If people think I have let myself go, then more power to them.

I'm not debating anyone, we are all certainly entitled to our own perspectives. However, I for one am hoping to see a major shift towards size acceptance in my lifetime.
    Amen and Hallelujah to all of the above!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Pinkdiamondgirl, you should lurk less often and post more. Your post is the most sensible one on the thread, You've summed it up well.

Originally Posted by Beeyotch

Lecturing about nutrition and exercise on a message board, making generalizations about people whose history you don't know, so you can win an argument about calling someone OBESE makes you come off a little obnoxious. And petty to boot.
    If you mean me - I have over 10 years of actual practical work experience in the fitness industry, 28 years as an athlete and I've been both rock hard athlete and obese.

I don't need to know her history to visually see she is obese, but my calling her obese doesn't mean I'm saying she bad person or that she does not have health issues - I am merely stating the obvious in regard to her body fat percentage. I've also stated before that with her station in life or her husbands station in life she should have the time, money and professionals available to help her acquire a better state of health.

I'm sorry you're taking it personally.

Don't have to take my word for it here's some reading:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003101.htm

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pinkdiamondgrl
    I've been lurking and I am jumping in again.

Until the media and society at large celebrates women of all sizes (obviously, I am not speaking of obesity) as healthy and attractive, we are always going to have these issues.

For many, size 14 or 16 is as good as it gets-without resorting to diet pills, eating disorders, liposuction or surgery. It may take alot of effort to stay there, and if a concerted effort wasn't made, they may be quite a bit larger. Who are we to make assumptions that they are lazy or have "let themselves go?" when several are trying so hard to be as healthy as possible for their genetics and body type? How do we know people aren't doing the best they can? Don't overweight people deserve to eat an occasional treat without scrutiny? Aren't they allowed to be hungry without being judged?

My theory is that women like Kirstie Alley, Delta Burke, and Keely have something in common. They starved, popped pills and lived in deprivation for years because their natural body type was not acceptable by industry standards. As a result, they couldn't fight anymore and they gained 50 to 100 lbs. That kind of weight gain would never have occured if they had been acceptable at their natural body type, which my guess would have maybe been size 8, 10, or 12-whatever. Their metabolisms were shot to hell, accompanied by what I would guess to be major overeating to compensate for years of self denial. I certainly can't judge them for that.

I have been on both sides of the spectrum, I was a size 4-6 for a few years, but I only acheived that through diet pills, smoking, eliminating entire food groups,and constant exercise. Fast forward to today, I am now a mother and I am a size 8, occasionally 10. I was treated alot differently when I was slimmer, but I am no longer willing or able to do what it would take to be there again. I want to enjoy my life, and I don't want to teach my 3 year old daughter food and weight obsession.

If people think I have let myself go, then more power to them.

I'm not debating anyone, we are all certainly entitled to our own perspectives. However, I for one am hoping to see a major shift towards size acceptance in my lifetime.

This has to be the best post on this entire thread.
    Last edited by suede; June 15th, 2006 at 07:06 PM.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Thanks guys.

Its an emotionally charged topic for many of us, myself included!

Quote Originally Posted by Femmefatale
    Are you aware that gallbladder removal is directly correlated to weight gain, and causes weight gain? Also, many gallbladder problems are due to over eating or eating too much before bed prior to removal. In such a case, genetics would not be the reason for weight gain.
    Not so. Weight gain following gallbladder surgery is more likely a result of regaining an appetite as Cholecystitis isextremely painful, causing vomiting and indigestion. It is not known why some people form gallstones, and there is no way to prevent this. Certain people are more prone to developing gallstones but in no way is this a direct correlation. Risk factors for forming gallstones include rapid weight loss, obesity, pregnancy, high cholesterol, and certain medical conditions (such as sickle cell anemia) not simply from overeating or weight gain. Formation of gallstones can also be caused by nonfunctioning gallbladders. They occur at a higher rate in women than in men and in certain ethnic groups.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by South Lake
    Guess what? My Mom is the ONLY one out of her 3 heavy brothers who exercises regularly! My Mom is the ONLY one who watches what she eats! And, my Mom is the ONLY one that has had 3 kids obviously. So what are her 3 brother's excuses? What is HER mother's excuse??
    Simple: They are not genetically identical. Again, go study genetics. Seriously. Stop debating a topic you apparently know nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by South Lake
    Femmefatale,

There are people here who cannot accept blame for being fat. They want to provide an excuse for everything. It wouldn't be politically correct to blame fat people for being fat. There must be some medical reason (genetics!) as to why they shovel more food in their mouths than they need to.
    Are you stupid enough to say that fat people are fat because of how they eat and NOTHING else? You can't possibly be that stupid. I don't believe you are. So why would you say something so stupid? Do you not think before you type? Do you not think before you submit post?? Please do, cuz you're doing yourself an extreme disservice, South Lake. And it's a damn shame.

*runs to shed, polishes off Smith & Wesson, starts making a list, googles 'bell tower'*

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita
    As if these conditions don't have genetic components as well. What is much more important for health insurance premiums is knowing your genetics, controlling drinking, no smoking, and preventative health measures. It is one thing to be overweight and do nothing. It is another thing to be overweight and try to do something about it...and if you cannot lose the weight at least be aware of the health effects of your condition(monitor blood glucose, monitor cholesteral levels..take appropriate medications if indicated). associating rising health care costs and rising health insurance premiums with obesity without mentioning any other reasons for such rises is pretty lame cynic.
    *remembers her faith in humanity, puts down rifle, toddles off to liquor cabinet instead*

Thank you, Sojiita...

Quote Originally Posted by Femmefatale
    This is hilarious how there are actually people who buy into the notion that fat people arent fat bc of horrible eating habits/over eating.
    Nobody is disputing this. All we're saying is that dietary habits aren't the sole cause for weight gain. Learn how to comprehend what you read.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita
    ...when the discussion involves obvious contempt and disregard for the general population of overweight people in general and includes the dismissing and general rudeness to posters on said board who have been gracious enough to divulge personal information about their own lives or the lives of family members...in great detail and with much explanation on their part I might add...then you cannot reasonably expect said members of the 'celeb' gossip board to react with anything less than disdain and wonderment.
    I am full of nothing but disdain and wonder.

These are not 'defenses' they are explanations..get it?
    No, they don't get it. Which is why I have nothing but disdain and wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by cynic
    Now tell me I'm shallow and wrong while I go look at the funny pictures in the other sections.
    You're shallow and wrong. Glad you've finally realized it.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedHo
    Simple: They are not genetically identical. Again, go study genetics. Seriously. Stop debating a topic you apparently know nothing about.
    Apparently YOU know nothing, as all you want to do is blame "genetics".

YOU can't really believe that, out of the 4 of them, my mom being the only 1 who goes to the gym and watches what she eats, is healthy and in shape because of her "genetics"? You can't give credit where credit is due? So my Mom is working out and eating healthy for nothing, because according to you, its her genetics that's allowing her, but none of her lazy brothers, to be skinny?

Ridiculous.

If anything, my Mom is proof that "genetics" can be overcome.

Read up, WickedHO. DIET and EXERCISE are what people need to lose weight, not DNA, sweetie.

The subject of the thread has been thoroughly discussed from different points of view.
    Of course there is a lot more that could be said about it, but mods believe this thread can come to an end now, so I close it.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread Information