Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Keely Shaye Smith - Pierce Brosnan's wife

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Re: Keely Shaye Smith - Pierce Brosnan's wife

Quote Originally Posted by moomies
    You really can't tell WHY anyone is fat/obese by merely looking at them cuz you can't see thru genetics or the medical conditions they may have so even though you might think A LOT of ppl are just lazy, eating badly and getting insufficient exericise, you really don't know for sure. It's just your assumption.
    What I have a problem with here is that a few posters have shared their own experience and revealed a little more about their genetical factors and metabolism etc but they still get accused of doing something wrong like being lazy. Go ahead and bash celebs all you like but just have a little more respect for posters here who dared to share their personal experience etc.
    I know I can't simply LOOK at someone and know the reason why they're overweight. I live in Houston, the fattest city in the U.S. (or was). I know MANY overweight people. I have friends, coworkers, and family members who are overweight. I see what they eat, and while I can't possibly KNOW, I'm quite sure it's not ONLY genetics that's making them overweight. It's the 2lb. piece of leftover birthday cake that they just ate for breakfast that's making them fatter. Not to mention they haven't seen the inside of a gym since leg warmers were all the rage. I'm sorry, I just have to roll my eyes when I then hear them complaining about how diets and exercise don't work. How would they know? I need to state again that I know this isn't the case for everyone. I understand how it might come off as offensive to some, but I'm really not trying to personally insult anyone on here.

All that I was trying to get across is that there are many contributing factors and I am an example of someone that does have it in their genetics to be overweight. I have never eaten 2 lbs of birthday cake in one sitting (I doubt I've eaten 2 lbs of birthday cake in my entire lifetime...), I eat extraordinarily healthy (EVERYONE has moments they can recall where they ate something that wasn't necessarily the best for them, but the vast majority of the time I follow a strict diet), and I am very active (hell, I literally just got back from the health club 5 minutes ago), yet I still have a lot of difficulty losing weight.

You truly do not know her situation and can't really make these kinds of "she's lazy" or "she eats a box of fig newtons and gallon of mountain dew every night" generalizations when you don't know what's really going on.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by WickedHo
    Btw, tictac: sometimes I get too bogged down in semantics. I apologize if I put you off in any way. My intent was to get us to think about the words we use and to use them carefully. I'm nerdly that way.
    No, it's cool. I have my nerdly moments as well.

And NoDay, I did not mean to make it sound like you were at fault for being overweight. I apologize if I did. All I'm sayin is I know some very lazy, overweight people who try to use the genetics excuse when they don't even try to help themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by tictac
    I'm sorry, I just have to roll my eyes when I then hear them complaining about how diets and exercise don't work. How would they know? I need to state again that I know this isn't the case for everyone. I understand how it might come off as offensive to some, but I'm really not trying to personally insult anyone on here.
    People are often full of shit. I'd probably have many enemies in Houston because at some point I'd just have to say "Stick to a damn regimen and quit your damn complaining, asswipe!!"

Quote Originally Posted by WickedHo
    I suggest you and SouthLake go take a class in genetics..
    LOL.

Because like I said, my mom, who's entire side of her Italian family is overweight, and she is not. How then are her family's genetics not applying to her?

Guess what? My Mom is the ONLY one out of her 3 heavy brothers who exercises regularly! My Mom is the ONLY one who watches what she eats! And, my Mom is the ONLY one that has had 3 kids obviously. So what are her 3 brother's excuses? What is HER mother's excuse??

Her brothers used to POUND DOWN the fast food as teenagers. One eats cake for breakfast and jokes it's healthy because it has fruit (filling), eggs, and water in it. But they're the first ones to claim they're fat because it's genetic, because after all, everyone else in their family is fat too.

Femmefatale,

There are people here who cannot accept blame for being fat. They want to provide an excuse for everything. It wouldn't be politically correct to blame fat people for being fat. There must be some medical reason (genetics!) as to why they shovel more food in their mouths than they need to.

Southlake,

I totally agree with the point in your example, and I also agree with your oppinion on some people being unable to accept responsibility for their weights!

1. No one's disputing KSS is overweight. She is. Unhealthily so, but not obese. No way is she obese, and no way in hell is she morbidly obese.

2. To those who say all weight gain is product of sitting around and gorging on Oreos, I suggest the use of logic once in a while. Use those brain cells. But then again, these are the same posters who think boob jobs and highlights are necessities, so I'm guessing that's not going to happen for a bit...
    2 years...

Not only is she obese - her weight varies 20-25 lbs up and down from photo to photo. She is clearly comfotable enough about herself to wear bikinis in public and she also clearly does attempt to lose weight being that her weight varies.

The true definition of obese is the quantity of body fat and not actual weight and this woman, although beautiful is over fat - being that she's 40%+ body fat.

It's not just vanity - it's also about good health.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

genes can be dominant or recessive and they also mutate, that's why sometimes a trait can pass a generation or between siblings.

http://www.clbc.cam.ac.uk/SOR/SORpub...oqiJCI2000.pdf

http://lsd.ornl.gov/highlights/obesity.html

http://mynptv.org/ne_connects/big_fa...Susan_Okie.pdf

Even though the discovery of leptin has not led to a cure for childhood obesity, it has helped to
    show that the condition is largely biological, and not simply the result of faulty parenting or lack
    of willpower.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

People who are fat know they're fat. They're fat, not dumb. Making assumptions about how they gorge on oreos and point out how they should really exercise more and eat less (duh) is not helpful at all. Saying they're not responsible for their habits that make them fat isn't going to magically make them change just because they were criticized. Unless all you're really out to do is express your disgust at fat people and how lazy you think they are. If that's the case, don't be surprised when people are offended by your opinion.

Lecturing about nutrition and exercise on a message board, making generalizations about people whose history you don't know, so you can win an argument about calling someone OBESE makes you come off a little obnoxious. And petty to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch
    People who are fat know they're fat. They're fat, not dumb. Making assumptions about how they gorge on oreos and point out how they should really exercise more and eat less (duh) is not helpful at all. Saying they're not responsible for their habits that make them fat isn't going to magically make them change just because they were criticized. Unless all you're really out to do is express your disgust at fat people and how lazy you think they are. If that's the case, don't be surprised when people are offended by your opinion.

Lecturing about nutrition and exercise on a message board, making generalizations about people whose history you don't know, so you can win an argument about calling someone OBESE makes you come off a little obnoxious. And petty to boot.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

She looks happy, and he seems like a wonderful man, loving her no matter her size. More power to her!
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

Almost as eloquent as name-calling.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch

Excellent post

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

If we still had rep, I'd give you all of mine for that, Beeyotch

Thread Information