Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Keely Shaye Smith - Pierce Brosnan's wife

Default Re: Keely Shaye Smith - Pierce Brosnan's wife

Quote Originally Posted by Femmefatale
    I seem to recall you saying "its all genetics", so we are on opposite ends of the spectrum on weight and thats fine. If your sister lost weight, then I think it proves that her over-weight state is NOT due to genetics--if it were, how would her body allow her to lose that much? Wouldn't these "fat genes" repel any form of weight loss effort and hang on to the excess weight for dear life under your assumption?

I am not saying everyone is born this way genetically.

What I am saying is that there are people who are naturally thin. They can eat anything and stay thin. There are people who are apt to gaining weight.. if they eat the chocolate/candy/fatty foods. Then there are those that were born genetically overweight.

And of course my sister lost the weight for a few months, she was on those "Herbal Magic" pills and wasn't eating anything close to the portions she was told to eat. It was barely anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday
    You're the one who assumed she sits there gorging herself with oreos and mountain dew every night. And frankly, that's probably false.
    Unless you are Keely Shaye Smith, I dont know why youd care so much about what I say about her

I care about misconceptions about fat people b/c I fall into that group. It is possible to be overweight, not able to lose the weight no matter what, be healthy, and be active. I have bloodwork done all the time (because the doctors are concerned since I am this size), perfectly healthy bloodwork and blood pressure. I'm also active, I happen to have climbed the stairs in big lighthouses in Europe (you know, the ones with hundreds of stairs and no elevators?) with no problem, climbed a waterfall in Jamaica, enjoy going biking and camping with my boyfriend. Being fat does not equal lazy or someone who gorges themselves. Oh yeah, during the school year I live on the 4th floor of a building with no elevator, that hasn't caused me any problems either.

I guarantee your sister is taking in too many calories and was taking in too many calories as a child. You may have been fed the same foods, but you most likely at less. I guarantee you she continues to over eat, regardless of WHAT she is overeating.

Well, truth be told, if we didn't everything on our plates, every last morsel, my father would beat us, so no, there was no question of one of us eating more or less than the other.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I dont think you grew up knowing anyone who was genetically like this. My sister has had a rough time her entire life with this. I feel badly for her and I'm glad she finally stopped with the stupid diets and such and just accepted herself the way she's meant to be.

She's married, with a daughter and they both love her for who she is, not the size of her pants.

People can say its unhealthy, but you know what? She doesn't complain about anything. She does everything everyone around her does. I don't see a medical problem with her being the size she is now. Nothing has been difficult for her when it comes to being overweight, EXCEPT for not her not feeling "perfect" amoungst the thin.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Where the hell is svz when we need some medical/scientific facts!!!!!

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I care about misconceptions about fat people b/c I fall into that group. It is possible to be overweight, not able to lose the weight no matter what, be healthy, and be active. I have bloodwork done all the time (because the doctors are concerned since I am this size), perfectly healthy bloodwork and blood pressure. I'm also active, I happen to have climbed the stairs in big lighthouses in Europe (you know, the ones with hundreds of stairs and no elevators?) with no problem, climbed a waterfall in Jamaica, enjoy going biking and camping with my boyfriend. Being fat does not equal lazy or someone who gorges themselves. Oh yeah, during the school year I live on the 4th floor of a building with no elevator, that hasn't caused me any problems either.
    Given your health history with gallbladder issues I would definately say your situation is not the norm. Many people whose gallbladders are removed had weight issues prior to the removal and experience subsequent weight gain if theyre not on post gallbladder-removal diets. I would say your weight situation does not correspond to the notion that bein overweight is genetic. I am sure there are genetic "predispostions" simply based on skeleton size and muscle %s, but I do not believe that obesitiy is genetic or something that can not be controlled thru diet

Quote Originally Posted by Icepik
    Well, truth be told, if we didn't everything on our plates, every last morsel, my father would beat us, so no, there was no question of one of us eating more or less than the other.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I dont think you grew up knowing anyone who was genetically like this. My sister has had a rough time her entire life with this. I feel badly for her and I'm glad she finally stopped with the stupid diets and such and just accepted herself the way she's meant to be.

She's married, with a daughter and they both love her for who she is, not the size of her pants.

People can say its unhealthy, but you know what? She doesn't complain about anything. She does everything everyone around her does. I don't see a medical problem with her being the size she is now. Nothing has been difficult for her when it comes to being overweight, EXCEPT for not her not feeling "perfect" amoungst the thin.
    Do you think it is fair to say that most obese people are obese due to genetics?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Is there a fat gene?

by Julie Flaherty

To researchers who study fat on the cellular level, our genes play a much bigger role in the obesity epidemic than they get credit for. Some people, thanks to the DNA they inherited, are simply more susceptible to the threat of high-calorie, high-variety, super-tasty convenience foods that have come to dominate the landscape.

Scientists have uncovered clues to a number of fatness-related genes, some of which have been dubbed with evocative monikers like the couch potato gene (which determines laziness) and the stop-eating gene (which tells people when they are full). Yet there is no one “fat gene” that decides whether you will be a supermodel or super-sized. Metabolism involves hundreds, maybe thousands, of genes interacting in uncountable ways.

Some, however, may play a bigger role than others. Take the gene for perilipin, a protein found inside of fat cells, known more formally as adipocytes. It coats the oily lipid droplet containing the stored fat that makes up almost the entire bulk of the cell. This one protein has a big influence on how fat works.

The unraveling of perilipin and obesity has been a scientific journey of persistence for Dr. Andrew Greenberg, director of the Obesity and Metabolism Research Program at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging (HNRCA) and Friedman School assistant professor. Now one of the world’s experts on the perilipin protein and fat cell metabolism, Greenberg was just a short time into his fellowship at the National Institutes of Health in 1991 when he and his co-investigators discovered the new protein.

At first, the scientists weren’t sure what perilipin was there for. But the fact that it was found almost exclusively in fat cells was intriguing.
    “It specifically coats the fat stores in fat cells,” Greenberg said, “and so it suggested that it had a very important role in fat cell metabolism.”

After Greenberg joined the HNRCA in 1993, his laboratory became a leader in demonstrating perilipin’s actions.
    “We found that perilipin is like a gatekeeper in regulating storage and release of fat,” Greenberg said. More specifically, perilipin regulates the access of enzymes or proteins called lipases that break down fat. A seminal finding by Greenberg’s laboratory was that when there is less perilipin in the cells, the lipases can readily get at the energy stores, shrinking the fat cells. More perilipin blocks lipase action and fat breakdown.

Consistent with this observation, mice bred to have no perilipin in their fat cells were leaner and more muscular than their perilipin-replete counterparts.
    The next step was to apply this knowledge to humans. Proteins like perilipin are created according to a handy set of blueprints—our genetic code. Greenberg hypothesized that mutations in the gene that codes for perilipin might help regulate body weight in people. To address this question, Greenberg approached José Ordovas, a Friedman School professor and director of the Nutrition and Genomics Laboratory at the HNRCA.

“To my surprise, despite the important role that perilipin plays in adipose tissue, that gene remained for many years under the radar screen,” Ordovas said. “People were chasing other genes, new genes. That indicates to you the complexity of these disorders. There are so many players involved that even the obvious ones may be covered by the dust of so many other candidates.”
    When the Tufts team began its research on the perilipin gene in 2001, details about the location of the gene were already available as part of public databases. Then the researchers went “fishing,” Ordovas said, deciding to look at four points, spread throughout the gene, where mutations were common. They took data from 700 white men and women in California, comparing their perilipin gene mutations with their percentage of body fat, as shown by their Body Mass Index (BMI) and their waist circumference. To the researchers’ surprise, they found that the mutations had an association with body fat.

“Those mutations that were toward the beginning of the gene were associated with lower BMI, and the mutations that were studied toward the end of the gene were associated with higher BMI,” Ordovas said. Two other studies they conducted—one on an Asian population and one on a population in Spain—produced similar results.
    Curiously, the effects were seen only in women and not in men. This made some sense: In another study, Greenberg, in collaboration with Susan Fried at the University of Maryland, found that women in general have lower levels of perilipin protein as compared to men. Thus a mutation that changes the efficiency of perilipin might more readily affect women.

It seems like common sense that such a predisposition is passed down. What woman hasn’t woken up one morning to realize that she has turned into her mother—not just in habits, but in dress size? The useful part is that by understanding which genes are responsible and why, we may be able to influence them, work around them or even shut them off.

“Once you find the mechanism, you can try to identify how to reverse that predisposition,” Ordovas said. That may be through medicines, or, more interestingly to Ordovas, a diet that is matched to an individual’s genetic profile. His field, nutritional genomics, is dedicated to the idea that eating specific foods or taking certain supplements may neutralize a bad genetic predisposition or encourage a good one. In the case of the perilipin gene, a complementary nutritional solution is still a ways off.

“We know very little about the factors that actually prevent people from becoming obese,” Greenberg said. “So now that we’ve found some people who have genetic protection, the next step is to investigate those people who are protected, to understand what protects them.”
    Perilipin is just one component of what has turned out to be the very complex, active biology of the fat cell. Adipocytes were once thought to be relatively inert bags of triglycerides. But in recent years, research has shown that fat cells churn out an assortment of hormones and chemicals that affect not only food intake and body weight, but the cardiovascular system, liver, pancreas and brain. Fat cell size plays a big part in that process. The larger the fat cell, the more likely it is to release hormones and other factors that contribute to diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke and cancer.
    With severe overweight killing an estimated 300,000 people every year in the United States, the fat cell is commanding new attention as an established front in the war on obesity.

source:
    http://nutrition.tufts.edu/magazine/2005spring/dna.html

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Thanks mooms! I didn't feel like going after the articles I've found in the past, too tired and still trying to fix my laptop

My body is healthy, even without a gallbladder. My family is all overweight but eats healthy (I am discluding my sister from that statement b/c her being that skinny was not natural and I think everyone can agree on that b/c of the ED). I am not saying that it is ONLY genetics, but there are many reasons people could be fat, it is not simply black and white, nothing in this world is.

Do you think it is fair to say that most obese people are obese due to genetics?
    I do think there are people out there that abuse their bodies by putting fatty junk into them, most certainly. I also think there are thin people out there putting the same crap into their body and remaining thin.

What I am saying and honestly believe is that not all overweight people are doing that.

I don't know Keely to say which of the 2 she is doing, all I am saying is there is a possibility that she is NOT sitting there night after night eating fig newtons. She might not be. Not all overweight people are.

^ ITA, Icepik

I was a chunky teenager, then decided I wanted to be thin and drastically cut out all junkfood and sodas. It worked, I went down to 110 at 5'4. I maintained this weight until I got pregnant at 20. After child birth, I ate the same way as before, but I gained weight!! Somehow, going through pregnancy changed my metabolism. I tried cutting back and the only way I could successfully lose weight was by basically eating a carrot stick and celery diet, which I could not maintain for long. I exercised plenty, we lived on the 3rd floor of an apartment bldg. and I took our dog for long walks several times daily, just as I did before I got pregnant. I started eating normally again, and my weight stabilized at 150, which I was not happy with at all. I stayed at that weight for years, and then something changed and I was able to lose weight again. I now weigh 120 and hope to stay at that weight, though I am in my early 40 and who knows what perimenopause will do.

I am not disputing that genetic factors can effect weight, but I do NOT subscribe to the belief that most obese people are healthy eaters and are obese soley bc of their genes, hence my question "do you think it is fair to say that most obese people are obese bc of their genetics". I also believe that there are diets and safe/organic methods to losing weight REGARDLESS of genetic predispostions.

And I highly doubt that Keely's massive weight gain is due to an extreme genetic defect and would deduce that its probably due toa combination of poor diet and lack of physical activety
    Last edited by Femmefatale; June 13th, 2006 at 10:19 AM.

I know people who

1) think pie is "healthier" than cake bc it has fruit in it
    2) dont comprehend how drinking mass quantities of regular pop can make you fat bc they think liquids are different than food--Ive challanged people like this to stop drinking anything with calories in it (drinking only diet pop OR water) and theyve all lost weight

3) dont understand the concept of a "fattening salad" and think anything that is called a "salad" is therefore healthy--regardless of fattening dressings, bacon bits, cheese, etc.

4)believe processed meals are part of a balanced diet...anything pre-made is usually horrible for you. Dont beleive me, detoxify your body on a whole foods diet for a year and then go eat a frozen dinner and Ill be damned if youre not sick for days.

5) have no concept of how drinking alcohol effects your weight
    These people are idiots. I have no problem with anything you've said here.

I guarantee that Keely finishes her day by polishing off a bag of fig neutons and a mountain dew =)---maybe a box of donut holes and a nesquick
    You just lost all respect from me here. I was going to give you some credit, but you make yourself look like a jackass with this comment.

I suggest you and SouthLake go take a class in genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia
    The thing is, this woman doesn't strut around like she thinks she's hawt. I find it much easier to hoot on women who have gained weight when their whole existence is based on shaking a tight ass. Britney anyone?

Otherwise, she's a pretty woman who gained some weight. Big deal.
    Teeny tiny minds can't grasp this concept, Lobelia.

At the end of the day, all I am saying is that Keely is obese and I dont consider that a postive state to be in.
    I don't consider your mental state, Femmefatale, to be a positive one either.

I seem to recall you saying "its all genetics", so we are on opposite ends of the spectrum on weight and thats fine. If your sister lost weight, then I think it proves that her over-weight state is NOT due to genetics--if it were, how would her body allow her to lose that much? Wouldn't these "fat genes" repel any form of weight loss effort and hang on to the excess weight for dear life under your assumption?
    GO STUDY FUCKING GENETICS!!!!

Are you aware that gallbladder removal is directly correlated to weight gain, and causes weight gain? Also, many gallbladder problems are due to over eating or eating too much before bed prior to removal. In such a case, genetics would not be the reason for weight gain. I would also reccomend having your insulin levels checked.
    I've been quietly reading this thread, but now I must comment. When I had my gallbladder removed, the nurse asked me if I had recently LOST a lot of weight (and yes I had, 30 lbs in less than three months at Jenny Craig). She said losing too quickly can definitely cause gallstones. I was also on birth control pills at that time, and she said they also were known for causing gallstones.

This board does seem to have conflicting views about too thin and too fat. Yes, it shouldn't matter, he should still love her blah blah blah but she has to be unhealthy at that weight, and I agree, she looks to be at least 220 lbs. I've been fat and I've been thin and Keely is very heavy. Maybe she has medical issues, we wouldn't know, but just from viewing those pictures, I don't see how anybody can say she isn't overweight.

I know my body, I know how I eat, and I know that it is healthy. I also know that I have been overweight my entire life, I have never been a healthy weight. Accept it and move on, some people are not meant to be a size 4 or smaller.
    There's no point in debating with the willfully ignorant. Facts will always be irrelevant to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Icepik
    What is your explanation to that? As a wee one, she would steal money from my Mothers purse and go to the store for candy?
    Please see my above statement to NoDay. It is for you as well.

Thread Information