Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isla Fisher: women are subject to "body fascism" when pregnant

Gad, you guys are making me feel fortunate no one made any weight-gain comments while I was pregnant. WTF? You're supposed to gain weight.

As for body fascism, it can almost be worse when you're pregnant, because even if there aren't any rude comments, people are watching to see if you regain your figure or not, no doubt about that, and we women can put a lot of pressure on ourselves about body changes and postpartum weight loss and such.

I didn't think pregnancy was physically beautiful--I wasn't one of the blissful pregnant women. I was danged uncomfortable on so many levels! But if someone I care about is pregnant, I do find it a beautiful process in a way.

Oh, man, PinkIstheWord--"steal" your beauty? What utter crap.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
    I stopped at a pig roast once for a few minutes when I was pregnant. A drunk woman there made some comment about me in reference to the pig that was roasted. Very drunk and very rude. For her to talk about an unborn baby in that way was disgusting. I didn't hang around after that comment, it's been 24 years but I've never forgot her rudeness.
    Congrats to you for self-restraint - I would have had the self-marinaded bitch replacing the pig on the spit and roasting slowly before she'd have known what had hit her.

Body facism is applying to pregnancy now - and as is usual we can't win either way. If you carry small then you are obviously a bad person because you must be doing something to hinder the growth of the baby because you are scared of losing your figure. Wrong! You might just be having a naturally small baby, or it could be down to how much fluid you are carrying, or even how the baby is lying. My mum was wearing UK size 10 jeans and skirts throughout her pregnancy with my older brother, with the concession of a nappy pin across the button hole as it was a little uncomfortable to fasten them - it was like she had PMS bloating and nothing more. She barely showed at all and people whom she had not seen for a while didn't realise he was actually her baby after she'd had him. She was told afterwards that it was because he was a long skinny baby and the way he was lying in the womb.

If you end up big then you are obviously over-eating. You are being lazy. You don't care about yourself. Wrong! When my mum had me she ended up with the baby bump to end all baby bumps. In the pictures I've seen she was bloody massive, and they were from the middle stages, not towards the end. But it was all baby and fluid. Her legs, arms, bottom and face all stayed slim, she just had a ginormous bump. My Grandma made maternity dresses especially for her because the shop bought ones that she could fit into were massive all the way around and she only needed extra room at the front. She tells a funny story about being wolf-whistled by some builders (this was the 70's) who had only seen her from behind. She says she wishes she could have had a picture of their faces when she turned round and revealed bumpzilla. Oh, and FWIW, she was back in UK size 10 jeans within 6 weeks of having me, not through an extreme celeb diet, but because (like I said) it was all baby and not fat.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
    I have never felt women who are pregnant are cute, adorable, or whatever. They are just pregnant. Let them get through it without ridicule and snide remarks. I also don't treat them as if they are royalty. There were millions before you, and many to come.
    My thoughts exactly.

Except for the boobs/nipples. I have to say that pregnancy makes those pretty ugly indeed.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Women are subject to "body fascism" all the time, pregnant or not.
    Yes, hence her wording, "even" and "still".

"...even during something as incredible and beautiful as pregnancy, you are still subject to body fascism."
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I think this is too narrow. Most of the pregnant people I see look darling. I never was criticized,even though I went from 120 to 184. I can't think of anyone I know who didn't just glow!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

And unless I missed something, she and Borat are not married. Appartantly Granny Borat, feels she needs to take hebrew/jewish instruction. My feeling is Granny needs a day job which does not involve torturing the mother of her granddaughter.

Congrats to you for self-restraint - I would have had the self-marinaded bitch replacing the pig on the spit and roasting slowly before she'd have known what had hit her.
    If I had it to do over I would have gone all hormonal on her, I didn't say anything to her. The men were getting on her about it though.

Quote Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
    I stopped at a pig roast once for a few minutes when I was pregnant. A drunk woman there made some comment about me in reference to the pig that was roasted. Very drunk and very rude. For her to talk about an unborn baby in that way was disgusting. I didn't hang around after that comment, it's been 24 years but I've never forgot her rudeness.
    That woman was drunk and abusive. And she was probably abused herself, otherwise why would she be so cruel to another human being(s)? I bet she had a miserable life and continues to live in misery, anger and depression. You are stronger than that! Forgive her for her heartless comments, if you can.

I wish you sunshine, joy and peace!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information