Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 'I keep the hamburgers to a minimum': Aretha Franklin

Set it to record, thanks!

fgg

How Aretha Franklin Lost 85 Lbs.

By Rennie Dyball
    Wednesday March 02, 2011 12:35 PM EST

First things first: Lose any food that's smothered in hot sauce.

"That's off the menu now ... and no pig feet, either," Aretha Franklin said good-naturedly on The Wendy Williams Show Wednesday.

Instead, the Queen of Soul and the talk show host sipped afternoon tea in Detroit during their chat, in which Franklin, 68, revealed that she's lost about 85 lbs.

"I've been looking at a lot of pictures, and I was saying [to myself], 'You were entirely too fat for words,' " the 18-time Grammy winner said with a laugh.

"I was doing everything you could to lose that weight, and it's hard," she said. "It's just really hard. [But] you can't continue eating things that will hurt you eventually."

As for her much buzzed-about health following surgery for a mystery ailment back in December, Franklin did not specify the nature of the problem, but talked instead about how she's feeling now.

"A lot of things were said," Franklin noted of the widespread rumors about her health (most pervasive: that she was battling pancreatic cancer).

"I left that behind," she added. "And I couldn't be feeling any better than I'm feeling right now."

She "left that behind", wtf does that mean, she's in denial?

Why won't she just say what the health issue was, and put all the rumors to rest? I know some celebs are very private, and I get that, but most of them will release some sort of statement eventually. I just don't get why she won't address it at all...?
    "I'm not allowed within 200 feet of a school. Or a Chuck-E-Cheese..." Alan - The Hangover

'Now, occasionally I will still have that quarter pounder because I love fast food, but you have to keep it to a minimum.
    Sliders!
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

18 Grammy's?? Damn girl...

She looks terrible and not long for this world. I think that's why she won't specify about her health, because we all know pancreatic cancer is a death sentence.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

I totally respect her right to privacy, but why go on about dieting now? She should just say it's my business, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    I totally respect her right to privacy, but why go on about dieting now? She should just say it's my business, period.
    I agree.

Everyone has a right to their privacy, and that is as simple as a statement to the press.

By going on media interviews talking about dieting and hamburgers, it makes you look kind of odd.

Use your celebrity status to bring awareness of whatever ailment you have, if indeed you have it, or have a quiet dignity befitting a legendary figure.

maybe she doesn't have cancer

if she had cancer, would she go on TV celebrating her weight loss?

I just find it to be extremely odd that they would announce she had a deadly cancer if it weren't true, and she never came out and stated it was a lie or a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by firecrotch View Post
    maybe she doesn't have cancer

if she had cancer, would she go on TV celebrating her weight loss?
    Possibly, if she didn't want anyone to know about the cancer---she'd chalk up the weight loss to something else ie; no hamburgers.

I also respect her privacy, and don't think she NEEDS to say anything. Yet, I have a funny feeling the truth, whatever it is, will be out soon enough. If it's not cancer, great-TERRIFIC. If it is, then I'm sure it'll come out at some point...

unfortunately i think she's doing all of this to distract from the cancer story (which is probably the sad truth). like palermo said, the fact that she doesn't really talk about it and says odd things like "i've left that behind" instead of "this story is bullshit" speaks volumes, imo.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

I think it's gastric bypass because she sounds genuinely excited about losing weight, saying she's going to get "sassier" looking and looking forward to fitting into a certain size by whenever. I feel like if she was really trying to deflect from a cancer scare, she'd focus talking about healthy eating/ healthier lifestyle choices. Also, with her being so religious, if it were cancer I'd think she'd say something about faith and being in God's hands or something. But all her words she used are about weight, eating, being "too fat for words," etc.

I suppose it could still be a smokescreen for cancer, it just doesn't seem that way to me. And even though we're all speculating, I still think she's got every right to keep her medical history private. Whatever it is, good for her if it's improving her health.

She lost a staggering 85lbs in weight over the past six months, but Aretha Franklin's voice is still as big as ever.
    The Queen of Soul showed off her slimmed down curves and powerful vocal talents earlier this week at the Candie's Foundation 2011Event To Protect Gala at Cipriani 42nd Street in New York.

Still slimming: Singer Aretha Franklin performs at the Candie's Foundation 10th anniversary Event to Prevent benefit in New York

In an off the shoulder floor length black gown, the 68-year-old took to the stage to perform several of her classics at the black tie event.
    The gala kicked off Teen Pregnancy Month and was held the night before National Teen Pregnancy Day on May 4.
    The Candie’s Foundation honoured actresses Sarah Brown and Elizabeth Berkley as well as singer Ciara with awards for their hard work raising awareness about the risks and hardships associated with teen pregnancy.

Soul sister: The singer performed at the event which honored Ciara for her work with the charity

Guests were treated to a heartfelt speech by Bristal Palin regarding her story of being a pregnant teen.
    After the speeches and awards, Bethenny Frankel from the Real Housewives of New York and Bethenny Ever After on Bravo TV! was in charge of running the live auction which raised much needed funds for the organization.
    Aretha, meanwhile, is currently preparing for her comeback concert following undergoing an unknown surgery at the end of 2010 that sparked her dramatic weight loss.

The concert has been booked for May 19 at the Chicago Theatre to coincide with the release of her new studio album Aretha: A Woman Falling Out of Love.

Ample curves: Aretha showed off her voluptuous figure in an off the shoulder black dress

Read more: Aretha Franklin back to her best but still looking slim as she performs at charity event | Mail Online

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information