Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Alicia Silverstone slimmed down

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    You have to eat a lot of veggies and beans - interestingly some veggies really are high in protein.

Many vegans love on pasta and junk food - not healthy regardless of being a vegan or not.

I eat lots of fruit and veggies and I'm not a great one for meat, but I'm amazed that some people go without dairy products, eggs, etc.

Bronze Member

I'm a vegan. I've been vegetarian for 10 years, as well. I've been vegan on and off for about 4 of those 10.

It's really very easy to not eat eggs and dairy, to be honest with you. It's really all about changing your eating habits. I was raised on steak and potatoes, mac and cheese, grilled cheese, milk, etc etc. I even hated vegetables, lol!

However, when I was 18, I thought I'd be a pain in the ass and be different (honestly, that was the basis for it at the time) and when I began to really clean up my eating, adding in more vegetables, tofu, steaming things (this happened over many years by the way), I couldn't believe how much better I felt, and I lost weight. Especially when I went vegan, because I quit eating cake and ice cream, etc etc. Still love my pasta, and that's not junk food, by the way. It's always better to eat the whole wheat version, because the white version is simple carbs, and they kinda give carbs a bad name, but-can't be perfect all the time.

Interestingly enough, every time I started eating dairy and eggs again, I gained weight all over again. I went vegan again recently, and I've already starting dropping the weight.

the diet is different from the norm, definitely, here in America. but it's not weird, promise. LOL!

Silver Member

I'm a vegan, too. I went vegetarian about 20 years ago, vegan about 2 years ago.

Veganism seemed really radical to me, 20 years ago.

But now it seems really bizarre that so many people aren't.

If you do veganism right you'll probably be healthier: less exposure to the fat-soluble toxins that bioaccumulate with successive trophic levels in the food chain.

It's better for the environment, too.

The American Dietetic Association's position on veg*nism is very positive, so there aren't any valid excuses not to do it.

http://www.dietitians.ca/news/downlo...paper_2003.pdf

I'd be vegan if I wasn't continually seduced by good cheese. I don't eat meat, eggs or drink milk..but I do love me some cheese. Oh yes.

Steaks on the grill are just too good for me to give up though.

I can go on Atkin's and drop as much weight as I want eating plenty of meat and cheese..... YUM!
    Gives me lots of energy too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information