Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The hourglass figure

's cheaper from QVC - and works too.

Handy to know, thanks....I'll be sure to pass it on to folks who need it *cough*

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    The official definition of an hourglass figure is a waist measurement that is equal to 75% or less thant he hip measurement = so a 36" hip is a 26" waist..... isn't that a "normal" figure???
    I don't agree with that definition of an hourglass figure at all. A woman whose waist measurement is for example 75% of her hip measurement doesn't look curvy at all. I think that people are so thick and square nowadays that they've lost the idea of a true, curvy hourglass. Actually that might be proven, at least going by this article:

The shape of things to wear: scientists identify how women's figures have changed in 50 years

The fashion industry is ignoring the changing shapes of women's bodies, a study claims today. Designers and manufacturers still insist on making clothes that fit the traditional hourglass figure, when women's shapes are more likely to be top-heavy, rectangular or pear-shaped.
    The research found that although only 8 per cent of women now had the sort of hourglass figure flaunted by curvaceous 1950s film stars such as Sophia Loren, designers and manufacturers continued to make clothes to fit a slim-line version of that figure.

Read the rest of the article here: The shape of things to wear: scientists identify how women's figures have changed in 50 years - This Britain, UK - The Independent

Although I don't necessarily agree with the article when it comes to the claim that clothes are still made for the hourglass type, because I know that many hourglass woman complain how hard it is trying to find clothes for their body type.

Oh, and here's a nudie pic of La Bellucci. It's NSFW. To me that doesn't look like an hourglass figure.
    http://i030.radikal.ru/0904/0e/b224e8167a1b.jpg
    Last edited by Martirio; April 24th, 2009 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Not everyone needs ribs removed to have a small waist. I used to have a 23-24 in high school and a 25-26 before kids and I wouldn't even have considered myself skinny, just petite. It's just how some people are built.
    I'm 20, 5'2", with a 25 inch waist. When I was being measured to have my prom dress made a couple of years ago (it was even smaller then, grr...), the seamstress said it was due to the combination of me having a long torso (short legs, though) and a "high ribcage", not just because I'm slim.

I'm 35-25-36, last I measured. My body's odd, though. Sometimes it can look hourglass-y, sometimes more like a ruler with boobs. I think it depends on what I'm wearing (and probably whether I'm being lazy with my posture). And even though my hip measurement is bigger than my bust measurement, I swear my butt looks friggin' flat. I have broad shoulders so it's my top half that seems larger and usually causes me the most dramas when trying to buy clothes.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

rita hayworth was not really hourglass, katherine zeta jones neither

but i love the hourglass! I miss Bettie Page

it is genetics though, there's only so much you can do to change your freakin bone-structure! Dita Von Teese for instance had had implants and does the corset bullshit, and then i always hear how your ribcage expands with pregnancy like Britney Spears will never be as petite as she once was.

a crazy woman from my apt. building and who goes to my gym got wierd butt implants or hip implants. its the weirdest thing b/c she's stick thin with these things attached to her rump, its scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Martirio View Post
    I don't agree with that definition of an hourglass figure at all. A woman whose waist measurement is for example 75% of her hip measurement doesn't look curvy at all. I think that people are so thick and square nowadays that they've lost the idea of a true, curvy hourglass. Actually that might be proven, at least going by this article:

The shape of things to wear: scientists identify how women's figures have changed in 50 years

The fashion industry is ignoring the changing shapes of women's bodies, a study claims today. Designers and manufacturers still insist on making clothes that fit the traditional hourglass figure, when women's shapes are more likely to be top-heavy, rectangular or pear-shaped.
    The research found that although only 8 per cent of women now had the sort of hourglass figure flaunted by curvaceous 1950s film stars such as Sophia Loren, designers and manufacturers continued to make clothes to fit a slim-line version of that figure.

Read the rest of the article here: The shape of things to wear: scientists identify how women's figures have changed in 50 years - This Britain, UK - The Independent

Although I don't necessarily agree with the article when it comes to the claim that clothes are still made for the hourglass type, because I know that many hourglass woman complain how hard it is trying to find clothes for their body type.

Oh, and here's a nudie pic of La Bellucci. It's NSFW. To me that doesn't look like an hourglass figure.
    http://i030.radikal.ru/0904/0e/b224e8167a1b.jpg
    I think they meant that anything over 75% isn't hourglass. I've been sewing since I was a little kid and those kind of measurements (e.g. the waist being 10 inches smaller than the hip at a hip of 36 inches) has been the norm prior to the shape of women changing (as it is now).
    I think that a lot of measurements quoted in the press are incorrect as this ratio has looked ok in the past (imo).

I agree that "hourglass" women have issues finding clothes.... this is why I still sew my own (or take them apart & re-dart them).

I can't see the pic of MB - I was just posting her stats that are published & "out there" I dunno if they're true or not.
    What I do know is that clothes auctioned off for film memoribilia have very different measurements from the stated vital statistic of those actresses.... and I don't think that many are hourglass any more. They're more "boyish" & then just have massive globs of silicone inserted into their chests... this doesn't make an hourglass figure to me (wrong waist to hip ratio), no matter how hard they try.

Quote Originally Posted by katerpillar View Post
    I'm 20, 5'2", with a 25 inch waist. When I was being measured to have my prom dress made a couple of years ago (it was even smaller then, grr...), the seamstress said it was due to the combination of me having a long torso (short legs, though) and a "high ribcage", not just because I'm slim.

I'm 35-25-36, last I measured. My body's odd, though. Sometimes it can look hourglass-y, sometimes more like a ruler with boobs. I think it depends on what I'm wearing (and probably whether I'm being lazy with my posture). And even though my hip measurement is bigger than my bust measurement, I swear my butt looks friggin' flat. I have broad shoulders so it's my top half that seems larger and usually causes me the most dramas when trying to buy clothes.
    I'm short waisted. And when your age had about a 24-25 inch waist. I would not have called myself an hourglass, but more of a pear. But working out (starting from age 18) made a big difference after only a few years. I remember getting fitted for a bridesmaid dress for my best friend's wedding the fall before I turned 21. They were form fitting until just below the waist and right above the hips. Because of the way the dress fit in the shoulders I had to get a size larger and the lady doing the tailoring had to take it in all the way from just below my boobs down and then chop a couple inches off the bottom. That was definitely a new one for me. Beforehand I had only ever had trouble with pants. Even to this day it's hard for me to find pants that fit good in the ass and legs without having the waist flapping in the breeze.

I think working out actually made me more of an hourglass...at least when it came to fitting in clothes....because I now had an upper body to contend with. I put on two inches in my chest measurement in those years and might have added even more to the measurement around my shoulders (I can't remember that one exactly). But it was the shoulders even more than the chest for the reason I had to go up a size and have the tailoring to accomodate the particular style of dress my friend chose.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Default Damn

Sherry Britton =

The bangenist body on the list, all the women pre-airbrushing are just fabulous. Jessica B, as much as I don't like her has a banging body too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercer View Post
    Whatever - Beyonce and Biel don't belong on this list.
    Um...

I need to lose a few winter pounds, but my normal size is 36-27-35. I can have trouble finding stuff that fits my stomach and my hips, but I really like my body shape. I don't know if I am an hourglass, but I am curvy!

Oh and I am 5'8"......

^ daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn i didnt know you were so tall too DD, thats a hot bod alright

i always like beyonce's figure although i know she gets lipo like mariah does in their belly so its kinda phoney....

Yeah, I don't feel very tall though because my husband is 6'1". My daughter is going to be tall too, she's always been in the 98 percentile for her height!!!

The only time I feel like a giant is when I hang out with my friend who is 5 foot. We always make fun of each other's heights.

lol well she's a lucky girl cuz you only shrink with age damnit! i lie and say im 5'7'' but im not really sure im that tall

Please Catherine is NOT an hourglass.

I always considered Beyonce to be more of a pear shape.

Thread Information