Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree193Likes

Thread: Greece’s Most Beautiful Model Nana Karagianni Battles Anorexia (Shocking Pictures)

My gosh, that's an incredibly disciplined woman if she's doing it for attention! She does look like the charred remains of someone. There is something majorly off-putting about the photo where she's showing herself off in a magazine but, shit, all of that work cannot be for attention.

I am going to go upstairs and enjoy flouncing around every bit of chub I have while standing in front of the mirror. It might be the first time I feel good about it!

WTF!! no seriously WHAT THE HOLY FUCK ??!!!?!?

Those pictures are very hard to look at. She's literally a skeleton.
    I sincerely hope she gets the help she needs and doesn't focus so much on the attention she's getting for the way she looks.

I don't mean that she is doing this for attention, but that picture where she's holding up the magazine - the expression on her face reads as though she approves (of the article), like she feels she's getting PR because she's skinny, not recognizing (mentally) the fact that the PR is because of the disease she has.
    I assume (but could easily be wrong since I don't know the woman), that in her mind - she thinks she looks great...?

Her pics were posted on my FB. I was so horrified that I had to google her to see if they were real pics, which lead to me being even more horrified. This is just past being an attention whore, this girl is near death. It just made me incredibly sad. But...I knew you all would appreciate this thread I normally lurk, but thought this was worthy of posting. I really hope she gets help before it is too late.
    sprynkles likes this.

A*O

So post some more! We can be a tough crowd but its always done in a totally caring way. It's nice to hear another point of view.
    yanna, Sarzy, Butterfly and 1 others like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Karina View Post
    Anorexia is one of the diseases that creeps me out. I don't get it. I had a neighbour who had the disease. She had a daughter who developed it, too, largely in part to pressure from her parents to stay thin, and tips from her Mom on how to be ano. I wound up reporting them to the girl's pediatrician, grandparents, child services, etc., because I thought she would die without intervention, and she was finally taken away at age 12 and put into treatment. She later died at age 21 from a damaged heart. As soon as she died, the mother went back to a normal diet, gained a ton of weight. She's actually quite portly now. What really bugs me is that she lies about what her daughter died from. She tells everyone she was born with a heart defect and skims over the anorexia.
    That's horrible, Karina.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Dear God...... There's a woman around here who's this thin. Ironically she seems to spend most of her time hanging around the grocery store. I wish I understood what's going on in these sad women's heads but I just don't.

She's BASKING in all the attention. I can't believe she has enough muscles to support herself standing up. Freak.
    I am a recovering bulimic but it is my understanding that anorexics also share the same traits - they just don't eat. Anorexics are just as obsessed with food as bulimics. I'm guessing that's why this woman in your neighborhood spends so much time at the grocery store. My therapist told me once that it is very common for anorexics to shoplift food - not to eat, just to have.

Eating disorders are very complicate and they really aren't about losing weight. Control is a huge factor. When you have no control over anything in your life and are powerless, what is the one thing you can control? Food - whether to eat it or not or by consuming vast quantities and "win" by throwing it all up. I'd try to explain my mindset from those years but you are correct - you probably won't understand because you don't have an eating disorder.
    Brookie, sparkles, Rachel and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    That breaks my heart, Lalique and I hate that you went through that. I hope you are doing better now. *hugs*

My assumption wasn't at random, trust me. I've worked with anorexics and been around them and in every case, (that I have been involved with) they were seeking attention, which prohibited their recovery. What it does to their loved ones is as damaging as a drug or alcohol addiction. I've seen it. It ain't pretty.

You clearly are the exception. I hope you still don't feel the need to disappear. *hugs, again*
    Well you have another exception here. I suffered for several years. The last thing I wanted was attention. I agree with wanting to disappear. Still have body/food issues, but thanks to support of Mr P, friends, and family, I'm able to be somewhat healthy. I know of others that suffered as well, and they weren't seeking attention.

Like several others here, I also suffered with bulimia and borderline anorexia for several years. In no way did I do it for attention or enjoy any attention I received from this illness. I was very depressed and was also diagnosed with OCD. I simply hated myself and tried to be the perfect daughter to my adoptive parents. My adoptive sister was a total screw up while I was the "good girl". I felt this was my role in the family (through absolutely no fault of my parents) and tried to fill it with high marks in school and a perfect appearance. Couldn't do either of course, but I kept trying. A lot of the warped sense of self comes from feeling rejected by my birth mother and being afraid that my adoptive parents would regret having adopted me if I was not a perfect child. In no way did I look like this poor woman in these photos. Putting myself into the frame of mind I had many years ago, I am guessing that this woman does not see what we see when she looks in the mirror. I suspect she thinks she looks great. This is a very common characteristic of people with these disorders-almost body dysmorphic disorder. We often do not see what everyone else sees when we look at ourselves. It is a horrible thing to go through and I would not wish it on anyone.
    effie2, sprynkles, Rachel and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Thanks, Yanna. In all seriousness, I think she is at a point where you almost need a weekly report to validate that she's still alive. I would have thought by this point, her electrolytes would have been so out of whack from starvation that she would have had a heart attack a long time ago.
    no kidding, i've known some anorexics who died that weighed more than this lady.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I had anorexic issues for about a year many moons ago, and trust me, I never looked that way. I am horrified and saddened by these photos, and hope that this poor woman gets some help, though from what I've read, anorexia is not an easy disorder to treat. She should be in a hospital!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Dear God...... There's a woman around here who's this thin. Ironically she seems to spend most of her time hanging around the grocery store. I wish I understood what's going on in these sad women's heads but I just don't.

She's BASKING in all the attention. I can't believe she has enough muscles to support herself standing up. Freak.
    When I had a brush with anorexia, I was obsessed with food. Same as a full-blown food addict is. Thing is that I didn't want to ingest the food, save for the few calories I ingested to keep myself alive.

That would partially explain why the person you know might be hanging around the grocery store. Inwardly she's salivating at all the available grub, but her brain, in its illness, is denying her the very thing that she wants and craves.

I realize now that I was anorexic for a short spurt because I felt that I'd lost control over the things in my life, and felt that the only thing that I could control was my intake of food. Once the realization occurred to me, I recovered very quickly.

No anorexic is a freak; I must take exception to that. It's a psychiatric disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    Sweet baby Jesus! That's sad. I wonder if she is getting treatment.
    I hope to hell that she is. I feel very badly for her.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I'm surprised she could carry anything, she looks ready to drop at any minute. At the bar where I saw her she even had some food on her plate but she seemed to be just pushing it around and not really eating Boyfriend and I tried to be discrete but couldn't help noticing her.

I googled her a bit now that I know her name. Her husband is doing his best to help her, he's put her in the hospital 3 times but she was released after getting a little better. They live near his parents now and the whole family is trying to help her since apparently her own family has abandoned her years ago.
    Anorexics are aces at pushing food around on their plates and pretending to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    *finishes off BLT and wipes mayo off face*
    Mel! Despite the seriousness of this topic, I have to admit that you made me laugh! This forum's snark is hardening me, I tell you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Excuse me?! What's your point?! How is it ignorant to say they are attention whores? It starts with a screwed up sense of self or some area in their lives they can't control or they look in the mirror and see themselves as a cow, so they don't eat or they throw up their food, all to have "control" over something. But then, they start getting attention from others and these girls THRIVE on it. This chick in the thread is the perfect example of that.

ETA: And why are you calling ME ignorant when others on this thread have implied the same thing?! What's your problem, dear? Huh?
    I responded without having read the entire thread of posts, and I do agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    It IS ignorant to think women as mentally sick as this are attention whores. Anorexia is an illness, they do not choose it. I know someone who died of it and she fought it hard for a long time. She wasn't a fucking attention whore.
    Sadly, I know someone who passed from this illness as well, and this person, may she RIP, was the last person anyone would refer to being as an attention whore.
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; October 4th, 2013 at 02:01 PM.

Please learn to multiquote. All that double posting is an intractable offense.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Lalique View Post
    I was anorexic for about year when I was 16. I didn't do it for attention, I have always hated attention. I was trying to make myself disappear and become invisible. How can you just randomly assume all anorexic girls are attention whores?
    I'm sorry that you went through this, Lalique, especially when you were just 16. I felt like disappearing, too, and becoming invisible, though the loss of control in my life at the time was a larger factor. I was older when anorexia hit me, I was 21.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    science has started to show that anorexia has neurological factors. many people with anorexia show links to forms of autism. many have types of OCD's that manifest as eating disorders.

so maybe in your working with anorexics, you should read up on some of the science before blasting them all as attention whores. if that's truly how you view them i pity the ones that you're working with.

this woman might be an attention whore, but the causes and the experiences of anorexics are many and should not be reduced and universalized.
    Though I do not have autism, I have had OCD since as long as my memory kicked in at about four years old. Thank you for posting about this.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Well, like I wrote, two weeks ago she was definitely alive, I saw her. Now if she is getting her name in the papers and appearing on TV just for being skinny, I guess so? I don't keep up with tabloids or with TV. I hope her scary appearance can work to get some sense into anorexics going down that path.

I knew one anorexic girl and she was definitely not doing it for attention. It was more about having one aspect of her life completely under her control. Luckily she managed to beat the disease and she's doing great now.
    "It was more about having one aspect of her life completely under her control." To me, that says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Thanks, Yanna. In all seriousness, I think she is at a point where you almost need a weekly report to validate that she's still alive. I would have thought by this point, her electrolytes would have been so out of whack from starvation that she would have had a heart attack a long time ago.
    The heart is generally the first organ to succumb to anorexia. An example is what befell the late singer Karen Carpenter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    My gosh, that's an incredibly disciplined woman if she's doing it for attention! She does look like the charred remains of someone. There is something majorly off-putting about the photo where she's showing herself off in a magazine but, shit, all of that work cannot be for attention.

I am going to go upstairs and enjoy flouncing around every bit of chub I have while standing in front of the mirror. It might be the first time I feel good about it!
    As well you should! I like what you wrote because you celebrate your 'chub' as you call it, and anorexics don't celebrate much at all. I like your healthy attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by Appollonia View Post
    I am a recovering bulimic but it is my understanding that anorexics also share the same traits - they just don't eat. Anorexics are just as obsessed with food as bulimics. I'm guessing that's why this woman in your neighborhood spends so much time at the grocery store. My therapist told me once that it is very common for anorexics to shoplift food - not to eat, just to have.

Eating disorders are very complicate and they really aren't about losing weight. Control is a huge factor. When you have no control over anything in your life and are powerless, what is the one thing you can control? Food - whether to eat it or not or by consuming vast quantities and "win" by throwing it all up. I'd try to explain my mindset from those years but you are correct - you probably won't understand because you don't have an eating disorder.
    Very well put...and one hundred percent true.
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; October 4th, 2013 at 02:04 PM.

Instead of post after post by the same person, there's a multiquote function that helps keep the board a little cleaner.

Under a post you're going to respond to there is a little quote button with a plus sign next to it.

Hit that under every post you want to respond to then hit the "reply with quote" on the last one.

Then you can respond to all desired posts at once.

Tada!
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    I had to be in inpatient treatment for a very short time, and though I wasn't in there for an eating disorder I did have disordered eating (binging then restricting, or rarely, purging) so I was on meal support (eat meals together following a strict plan, talk about how you feel afterwards, regulated snacks) and so I not only got to know a lot of girls with eating disorders, I also spent every single meal eating alongside girls with EDs, or with disordered eating similar to or worse than mine. I would watch girls break down crying after only eating maybe 1/5 of their meal, or have genuine panic attacks afterwards. I don't know how you can trivialize this issue, Bluebonnet. Sure, this girl seems to be enjoying the fame it brings her, but to apply the possible motive of this woman to all women with ED, is definitely ridiculous. And like someone else said, yes they may want attention, but only in the way that they don't know how to verbalize their inner war or reach out to someone. It's not like it can be solved by getting more Twitter followers.
    The guilt would kill me if I thought I'd overeaten my daily calories when I was anorexic.

It really would. As if I didn't have problems enough already, eh?

And my enemy, the bathroom scales! I'd weigh myself all the time! It sounds insane now, and it would to those who haven't suffered from an eating disorder, but I'd weigh myself several times a day.

When I recovered, and this was many moons ago, I'm an aging old hag now, one of the first presents that I gave to myself was to get rid of that cursed bathroom scale.

To this day, I do not allow scales of any kind in our house. I am adamant about it. It's the same as allowing sliced white bread, SPAM, de-caffeinated coffee and de-alcoholized beer into our house.

I was weighed in 2011 at a hospital I was in, and that's the last time I was weighed. I didn't want to know...but had to skip up onto the scales for the hospitals' records. Have no idea what my weight is now, I feel it is a little lower, judging by my appearance and the fit of the clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
    Like several others here, I also suffered with bulimia and borderline anorexia for several years. In no way did I do it for attention or enjoy any attention I received from this illness. I was very depressed and was also diagnosed with OCD. I simply hated myself and tried to be the perfect daughter to my adoptive parents. My adoptive sister was a total screw up while I was the "good girl". I felt this was my role in the family (through absolutely no fault of my parents) and tried to fill it with high marks in school and a perfect appearance. Couldn't do either of course, but I kept trying. A lot of the warped sense of self comes from feeling rejected by my birth mother and being afraid that my adoptive parents would regret having adopted me if I was not a perfect child. In no way did I look like this poor woman in these photos. Putting myself into the frame of mind I had many years ago, I am guessing that this woman does not see what we see when she looks in the mirror. I suspect she thinks she looks great. This is a very common characteristic of people with these disorders-almost body dysmorphic disorder. We often do not see what everyone else sees when we look at ourselves. It is a horrible thing to go through and I would not wish it on anyone.
    (((Sparkles))) The elusive aim for perfection...you must have gone through hell with that.

You make an excellent point, though, which I hadn't thought of by saying that anorexia is "almost body dysmorphic disorder". I don't think that it is almost body dysmorphic disorder, it is. Thank you for being sensitive enough to realize it. You are entirely right.

How often did we look at ourselves in a full-length mirror (and we all did) and see what we perceived to be a chunky person?

I wouldn't wish anorexia or bulimia on anyone else, either.

What is disturbing also is that there are sites that are pro-ana. I did a quick google a few years ago and this shocked me, too...support groups encouraging this illness. My heart just sank.
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; October 4th, 2013 at 02:29 PM.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information