Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Greece’s Most Beautiful Model Nana Karagianni Battles Anorexia (Shocking Pictures)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Excuse me?! What's your point?! How is it ignorant to say they are attention whores? It starts with a screwed up sense of self or some area in their lives they can't control or they look in the mirror and see themselves as a cow, so they don't eat or they throw up their food, all to have "control" over something. But then, they start getting attention from others and these girls THRIVE on it. This chick in the thread is the perfect example of that.

ETA: And why are you calling ME ignorant when others on this thread have implied the same thing?! What's your problem, dear? Huh?
    I was anorexic for about year when I was 16. I didn't do it for attention, I have always hated attention. I was trying to make myself disappear and become invisible. How can you just randomly assume all anorexic girls are attention whores?

Quote Originally Posted by Lalique View Post
    I was anorexic for about year when I was 16. I didn't do it for attention, I have always hated attention. I was trying to make myself disappear and become invisible. How can you just randomly assume all anorexic girls are attention whores?
    That breaks my heart, Lalique and I hate that you went through that. I hope you are doing better now. *hugs*

My assumption wasn't at random, trust me. I've worked with anorexics and been around them and in every case, (that I have been involved with) they were seeking attention, which prohibited their recovery. What it does to their loved ones is as damaging as a drug or alcohol addiction. I've seen it. It ain't pretty.

You clearly are the exception. I hope you still don't feel the need to disappear. *hugs, again*
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

science has started to show that anorexia has neurological factors. many people with anorexia show links to forms of autism. many have types of OCD's that manifest as eating disorders.

so maybe in your working with anorexics, you should read up on some of the science before blasting them all as attention whores. if that's truly how you view them i pity the ones that you're working with.

this woman might be an attention whore, but the causes and the experiences of anorexics are many and should not be reduced and universalized.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; September 27th, 2013 at 12:46 PM.
    sputnik, Sarzy, Lalique and 6 others like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^^
    ITA.
    also, bluebonnet, you're focusing on the wrong aspect of this. sure, some mentally ill people thrive or seek out attention but that attention-seeking isn't the cause of their illnesses, it's merely a symptom. they are seeking validation in all the wrong ways, because their self-esteem and sense of self-worth is completely fucked up.
    besides, not all anorexics are attention-seekers. like another poster mentioned above, a lot of anorexics are the opposite and avoid drawing attention to themselves in every way. in fact, most of the people i've met with eating disorders fit that description way more than the attention-seeking variety.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    sure, some mentally ill people thrive or seek out attention but that attention-seeking isn't the cause of their illnesses, it's merely a symptom. they are seeking validation in all the wrong ways, because their self-esteem and sense of self-worth is completely fucked up.
    exactly.

even people who are physically ill for long periods have been known do this in some form. the attention seeking/getting may become a component of the original illness.
    MissyAutomatic likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

One of my teachers had anorexia, but her husband got her pregnant and she had to start eating to save the baby. She was a good and liked teacher when she was "normal" (she's naturally skinny I think) but after the baby, she became this bitchy teacher everyone hated. I saw her a few months ago in a shop and she's still skinny wearing baggy clothes. She's about 40 I think.

I was trying to find recent information about her, but it doesn't look like anything has been written since June of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I was trying to find recent information about her, but it doesn't look like anything has been written since June of this year.

Well, like I wrote, two weeks ago she was definitely alive, I saw her. Now if she is getting her name in the papers and appearing on TV just for being skinny, I guess so? I don't keep up with tabloids or with TV. I hope her scary appearance can work to get some sense into anorexics going down that path.

I knew one anorexic girl and she was definitely not doing it for attention. It was more about having one aspect of her life completely under her control. Luckily she managed to beat the disease and she's doing great now.
    Bluebonnet and Rachel like this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    there are two types of anorexia- purging and restricting. many anorexics purge.

The main difference between diagnoses is that anorexia nervosa is a syndrome of self-starvation involving significant weight loss of 15 percent or more of ideal body weight, whereas patients with bulimia nervosa are, by definition, at normal weight or above.
    Frequently Asked Questions About Anorexia, Bulimia, and Other Eating Disorders - Johns Hopkins
    I have never heard it referred to as that, thanks. My ex's mother was an anorexic and bulimic. ...and alcoholic...fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Well, like I wrote, two weeks ago she was definitely alive, I saw her. Now if she is getting her name in the papers and appearing on TV just for being skinny, I guess so? I don't keep up with tabloids or with TV. I hope her scary appearance can work to get some sense into anorexics going down that path.
    Thanks, Yanna. In all seriousness, I think she is at a point where you almost need a weekly report to validate that she's still alive. I would have thought by this point, her electrolytes would have been so out of whack from starvation that she would have had a heart attack a long time ago.
    rollo, I'mNotBitter and Rachel like this.

Silver Member

Anorexia is one of the diseases that creeps me out. I don't get it. I had a neighbour who had the disease. She had a daughter who developed it, too, largely in part to pressure from her parents to stay thin, and tips from her Mom on how to be ano. I wound up reporting them to the girl's pediatrician, grandparents, child services, etc., because I thought she would die without intervention, and she was finally taken away at age 12 and put into treatment. She later died at age 21 from a damaged heart. As soon as she died, the mother went back to a normal diet, gained a ton of weight. She's actually quite portly now. What really bugs me is that she lies about what her daughter died from. She tells everyone she was born with a heart defect and skims over the anorexia.

These photos are shocking. As for the attention-whore thing, it looks like maybe this woman's personality may just naturally be outgoing and attention seeking, and if she were not sick it would not seem unusual, esp for a TV personality.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

A*O

Models and media types are no shrinking violets by definition. I don't think this woman is showcasing her anorexia, she just enjoys being in the limelight anyway but can't see how people recoil from her ghoulish appearance. Thats the problem with anas, they truly can't see themselves as others see them.
    Serendipity and Clubber Lang like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I had to be in inpatient treatment for a very short time, and though I wasn't in there for an eating disorder I did have disordered eating (binging then restricting, or rarely, purging) so I was on meal support (eat meals together following a strict plan, talk about how you feel afterwards, regulated snacks) and so I not only got to know a lot of girls with eating disorders, I also spent every single meal eating alongside girls with EDs, or with disordered eating similar to or worse than mine. I would watch girls break down crying after only eating maybe 1/5 of their meal, or have genuine panic attacks afterwards. I don't know how you can trivialize this issue, Bluebonnet. Sure, this girl seems to be enjoying the fame it brings her, but to apply the possible motive of this woman to all women with ED, is definitely ridiculous. And like someone else said, yes they may want attention, but only in the way that they don't know how to verbalize their inner war or reach out to someone. It's not like it can be solved by getting more Twitter followers.
    stef, Mrs P, Rachel and 2 others like this.

So sad and the pics are frightening. My best friend in high school went anorexic for a while. We were both chubby 14 year olds and she decided to lose weight. Once she did and got lots of attention from boys, she wanted to lose more. It got to the point of her eating maybe a piece of toast in the morning and a few pieces of lettuce for lunch, and that was it. Her parents finally sent her to an ED treatment program and thankfully, it worked.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information