Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fashion company's shocking advert in the fight against size zero (NSFW)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    Especially scary that my own 9 year old girl is already saying she is "fat" when clearly she is not.
    I haven't got any child yet but I really wonder ... how to deal with that ?
    How to tell you're daughter she's just fine when obviously she's gonna say "you say that because you're my mum !"
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I'm sure this picture has been modified. Nobody who is currently alive or healthy enough to do photoshoots can look like this.
    Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul.
    Marilyn Monroe

Gold Member

^ I know it's hard to believe, but people can survive that skinny. Ever seen the pics of concentration camp survivors from WWII? Horrifying. They looked like living skeletons.

Gold Member

Ana is going to see that and be inspired if anything. If she don't long to be that she long to be less than that. Ana is going to love it when she sees ribs and bones protruding. If she gets tempted she'll just call Mia.

Quote Originally Posted by Goely View Post
    I'm sure this picture has been modified. Nobody who is currently alive or healthy enough to do photoshoots can look like this.
    I saw this girl on French TV 2 days ago and she's alive ... well, as alive as you can be when you're that skinny.

By the way, this ad has been forbidden in France by the CSA (audiovisual councellors and censorship) because they claim it's mere propaganda for an unknown brand ...
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

That is just gross but hopefully this will open people's eyes.

I dont know , but i kind of think this is exploitation of anorexia. I know the point is to discourage it , but it seems like it can be taken as a way to desensitize people and even used as a pro-ana advertizement for all the whack jobs. I am torn about this. As a former sufferer myself i realize it takes great courage from the woman to do this , but wonder if she is doing this because she feels she must be the poster child for anorexia and if this is just something that is going to further promote her illness and make this her identity. It is almost like it validates her reasons for being ill.
    If the mind, that rules the body, ever so far forgets itself as to trample on its slave, the slave is never generous enough to forgive the injury, but will rise and smite the oppressor. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by esmereldagrubb View Post
    I dont know , but i kind of think this is exploitation of anorexia. I know the point is to discourage it , but it seems like it can be taken as a way to desensitize people and even used as a pro-ana advertizement for all the whack jobs. I am torn about this. As a former sufferer myself i realize it takes great courage from the woman to do this , but wonder if she is doing this because she feels she must be the poster child for anorexia and if this is just something that is going to further promote her illness and make this her identity. It is almost like it validates her reasons for being ill.
    I agree with you, if they took the label off the ad it would give more meaning to their message, at least to me anyway. Do the good deed without expecting the reward which in this is notoriety.

A friend recently sent me a link to yet another type of eating disorder. She feels this one better explains her symptoms over the years. She was always classified as anorexic but it doesn't quite fit. I'll see if I can find the link again...
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

Quote Originally Posted by mklady View Post
    I agree with you, if they took the label off the ad it would give more meaning to their message, at least to me anyway. Do the good deed without expecting the reward which in this is notoriety.

A friend recently sent me a link to yet another type of eating disorder. She feels this one better explains her symptoms over the years. She was always classified as anorexic but it doesn't quite fit. I'll see if I can find the link again...
    Is it ORTHOREXIA? Extreme health conscious eating?
    If the mind, that rules the body, ever so far forgets itself as to trample on its slave, the slave is never generous enough to forgive the injury, but will rise and smite the oppressor. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information