Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39

Thread: Fashion company's shocking advert in the fight against size zero (NSFW)

  1. #16
    Elite Member NicoleWasHere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    kcmo
    Posts
    14,469

    Default

    OK, I'm probably gonna be beheaded for this, but am I the only one who thinks her right breast looks kinda like a scrotum? :S

  2. #17
    Elite Member TheMoog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    all bound for Koo-Koo Land.....
    Posts
    3,431

    Default

    Brave woman to get on that billboard.

    However, I think most anas will see it as thinspiration....

  3. #18
    Elite Member suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,580

    Default

    I don't think it was meant to help anorexics I think it was meant to help stop the celebration and use of models that are of anorexic size.

    I don't think it will help, maybe of the course of years and a lot of pressure onto the industry.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

  4. #19
    Elite Member Tiny Pixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    5,395

    Default

    I think this girl is very brave.
    Posing like that, naked, when you suffer from anorexia, must really be a hard thing to do.

    But I don't think these ads will have any effects at all.
    Girls and boys who suffer from anorexia don't "want to be a size zero". They don't bacome anorexic because they want to lose weight, it's more complicated than that. So I don't think this ad will help those who are on the verge of sinking into this terrible illness.

    As for pro-anas, they're so [sencored ] that I'm sure they'll find this pic beautiful and try as hard as they can to be as "perfect" as this poor girl.
    So there again, I don't think it's gonna do any good.

    But at least, it makes everyone face the problem, it shows the horror beneath the clothes, and that's a good start I think.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th


  5. #20
    Elite Member sweetness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    southeastern U.S.
    Posts
    11,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    But I don't think these ads will have any effects at all.
    Girls and boys who suffer from anorexia don't "want to be a size zero". They don't bacome anorexic because they want to lose weight, it's more complicated than that. So I don't think this ad will help those who are on the verge of sinking into this terrible illness.
    Not trying to be rude, but yes they do want to lose weight and be tiny. That's how it starts out anyway.

    I agree that these ads will not help at all. If anything, they'll make the problem worse as the anorexics will see how they can get even more attention...... because that's what it's really all about IMO.

  6. #21
    La vie en rose DitaPage*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    37,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blissfullyunaware View Post
    I don't think it will deter the anorexics, if anything, this lady will be considered "thinspiration". uuugghhh!
    Exactly.

  7. #22
    Super Moderator Tati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Your Pocket
    Posts
    18,328

    Default

    Did I read that right? That article says she weighs 12 pounds??
    It says "4 stone, 12 pounds", as in 4 stone and 12 pounds.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

    - Kahlil Gibran

  8. #23
    Gold Member piperdiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hell Fire, SoCal
    Posts
    986

    Default

    1 stone I think = 14 lbs
    Coffee is my happy drug

  9. #24
    Elite Member Rondette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Between uncertainty and acceptance
    Posts
    4,544

    Default

    yes she weighs 68 pounds.


    Sadly I agree with everyone else...this won't deter anorexics.

  10. #25
    Elite Member Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trolltopia
    Posts
    29,138

    Default

    I bet there are some pro-ana nutcases who put this ad up on their wall as a motivation.

  11. #26
    Elite Member Tiny Pixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    5,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    Not trying to be rude, but yes they do want to lose weight and be tiny. That's how it starts out anyway.
    Well it's not what I've been reading, but I guess as everyone is unique, we can't draw a unique conclusion ^_^

    But my cousin's been anorexic for years, and it had nothing to do with weight ... actually something terrible happened to her and I guess not eating anymore was for her a way to exteriorize (do you say that in english ?) the problem.

    ps : that wasn't rude by the way ^_^
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th


  12. #27
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    Not trying to be rude, but yes they do want to lose weight and be tiny. That's how it starts out anyway.

    I agree that these ads will not help at all. If anything, they'll make the problem worse as the anorexics will see how they can get even more attention...... because that's what it's really all about IMO.
    Its kinda true, but back to front. Usually it starts as something else. Its a control issue, a perfectionist issue. The eating/thin focus comes as a way to put your mind into something else in order to not deal with whats really going on. Its the same thing for alcoholics, workaholics etc. You wouldn't say that an alcoholic becomes an alcoholic just because they really really just want to be drunk all the time.

    The girls who go out in search of 'getting' anorexia are morons. The girls who seek 'thinspiration' are morons.

    Oh and for the attention thing, from my experience and from talking to other suffers, there is no desire for attention. If anything anorexia and being thin is meant to mean we disappear. Like I always said - The Desire to be a size Zero is a Desire to no longer exist.
    "Don't think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look fuckable will help. Remember your in a rock and roll band. It's not "Fuck Me", It's "Fuck You!"
    Chrissie Hynde


  13. #28
    Elite Member VenusInFauxFurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Back in the boxed wine.
    Posts
    21,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blissfullyunaware View Post
    I don't think it will deter the anorexics, if anything, this lady will be considered "thinspiration". uuugghhh!
    I must be very un-ana because I look at her and I want to eat. Suddenly very thin seems really disgusting to me.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

  14. #29
    Elite Member sweetness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    southeastern U.S.
    Posts
    11,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Oh and for the attention thing, from my experience and from talking to other suffers, there is no desire for attention. If anything anorexia and being thin is meant to mean we disappear. Like I always said - The Desire to be a size Zero is a Desire to no longer exist.
    That's so sad. It just seems that once they start to lose weight they start getting attention..... people will say, "Oh, you look great!" It fuels the fire, they want to lose more and more weight. Then when people start saying, "Oh, you are waaay too thin now" they still want to lose more weight.

    I'm sure this isn't the case for all anorexics/bulimics, but for the ones I've known it sure seems that way. It's all about low self-esteem and the longing for some kind of perfection that will never exist. The attention it brings equals love and acceptance maybe.

    Hell, I don't know and won't even try to pretend to understand it. Hopefully I haven't been offensive or insensitive in any way, I sure wasn't trying to be. I feel really badly for anyone who has to deal with this.

    Especially scary that my own 9 year old girl is already saying she is "fat" when clearly she is not.

  15. #30
    Elite Member Cali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    citizen of the world
    Posts
    5,443

    Default

    I'd have much more respect for this if it wasnt an advertisement. Like it or not, they have made this woman their spokesmodel.

    I respect what they are going for but I cant help but feeling that they are using it as a clever marketing ploy on the back of a seriously ill woman.

    its just wrong. And its ineffective and does nothing to make me want to buy their clothing. I'd be much more supportive if they had a beautiful, normal model in their ad, with the slogan of No-lita Anorexia."

    And the company's site is even worse: : NOLITA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: July 19th, 2007, 02:18 PM
  2. Illuminati tactics exposed!
    By AliceInWonderland in forum Politics and Issues
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: February 12th, 2007, 11:56 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 1st, 2006, 11:16 PM
  4. Centrist Democrats hit anti-Bush tactics
    By SVZ in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 28th, 2005, 08:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •