Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Cosby mom' Phylicia Rashad has lost 35 lbs

Echoing Sputnik ... A pound a week on average is all it's really safe to lose. Lose more and you can't get enough nutrients, esp if you're a woman, since we get fewer total calories anyway. And losing at this rate shows that you're making a lifestyle change, not just going on a diet temporarily, only to return to old patterns later and regain the weight. This also keeps the metabolism steady by avoiding starvation mode.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    If I was paying all that money and living off thier foods I would expect to drop more than 4 lbs a month.
    Like with most people, her weight loss was probably front loaded. The last 10 lbs probably took it's sweet old time. A diet like this is going to have several frustrating plateaus. Another consideration is that she may have cheated here and there, thereby slowing down her rate of loss.

Also, I don't know anybody who's lost large chunks of weight in a short period of time who's kept it off. If anything they're fatter for their dieting efforts. Slow and steady wins the race.

I am well aware that a pound a week is good. The point you are all missing is that anyone else would be paying a lot of money to lose this weight. If I am was going to pay all that money for this great program I would expect greater loss. You can get rid of a pound a week by simply cutting out 500 calories per day.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I understood your point Sluce. Paying that kind of money for a 35 lb weight loss in that period of time would be worth it to me only if the weight were guaranteed to stay off. Money well spent then, but you know how weight loss goes, especially with low calorie diets.

I wouldn't consider the Jenny Craig program all that great. It's expensive, too low calorie, the food is very processed and the rate of recidivism is high - I've yet to see anyone in real life keep the Jenny Craig weight off after they stop the program. I've watched friends struggle to make make good food choices afterwards. Kirsty Alley's story is not uncommon.

I agree qwerty. It is not a lifestyle change. You are simply taking the daily decision making out of the equation. Once you stop buying their food you are right back to square one and realize that other foods tastes so much better.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

1-2 pounds a week is a safe and healthy weight loss. Anything more than that and your chances of gaining it back are greatly increased. I look at it this way...you didn't gain 5 pounds a week so you are not supposed to take it off that fast.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I am well aware that a pound a week is good. The point you are all missing is that anyone else would be paying a lot of money to lose this weight. If I am was going to pay all that money for this great program I would expect greater loss. You can get rid of a pound a week by simply cutting out 500 calories per day.
    I didn't miss your point--I just don't agree. I wouldn't pay someone to encourage me to lose weight too quickly.

Cutting out 500 calories a day is a big deal. That's actually very hard to do without compromising nutrition. Based on my height and weight, for example, I only should be eating about 1800 calories per day. Five hundred calories is obviously a huge percentage of that. So personally, if I were looking for weight-loss support, I would be hoping not to lose weight faster, but for guidance in maintaining good health while losing it.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Gold Member

Most diets are said to fail anyway. It doesn't matter how you lose the weight as the biggest and hardest battle is keeping to a new healthy lifestyle and not putting it back on. She looks good for 61 but black people tend to age better.

She looks healthy and fit.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information