Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Carnie Wilson

Elite Member

If you don't figure out why you eat, you are destined to regain the weight, no matter how you've lost it.

I have lost hundreds of pounds in my life...and gained hundreds. Losing weight is easy. It's keeping it off and completely changing your lifestyle to support those changes and maintain your weight that is hard. For the first time in I don't know how long, I have maintained my weight for 8 months. I have some more to lose, but I am content right now with actually keeping off the 60 lbs I lost.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ damn that sounds really exhausting on your mind and body tulip!

Elite Member

It is. I have been dieting for about 25 years. Lose 20, gain 25, lose 25, gain 30, lose 30, gain 35... you get the picture.

It has taken me years to realize that you can not diet, you absolutely must change your lifestyle. No more "on" and "off" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    It is. I have been dieting for about 25 years. Lose 20, gain 25, lose 25, gain 30, lose 30, gain 35... you get the picture.

It has taken me years to realize that you can not diet, you absolutely must change your lifestyle. No more "on" and "off" for me.
    That is the hardest thing for all of us to do on a permanent basis. Bad foods and overeating are pretty much addictions on par with other addictions that are bad for you.

These past two months were incredibly hard for me in terms of dieting and exercising. Before this routine, my gut and man boobs would not budge even though I was on a normal exercise routine that would get an 'ordinary' person in great shape, cardio for an hour at least 4 times a week, lifting weights 2-3 times a week. The problem was simple, it was bad food and eating too much. Those calories really add up without you even realizing it, very insidious. Now my gut and moobs are somewhat better looking than before, but man it took a lot of hard work and sacrifice to shock my body into losing weight and shape.

But it would only take a few weeks of bad food choices and lack of portion control to ruin all that hard work. And all it takes is that one day you decide to eat big mac with fries, then the next day, ice cream and pizza, and so on and so forth. Before you know it back to square one and worse.

So it's definitely necessary to change your lifestyle.

Now getting back to Carnie there's this sense that people are like, WTF is going on here. As said before her gastric surgery was supposed to be a huge "inspiration" to all overweight people in the world, wasn't she on magazine covers showing off how thin she got? Next thing you know, she's on a magazine cover proclaiming that she's going to lose 40 pounds. Same thing the year after, over and over. It's like, what's she doing here???

so really if you could just change the reasons why you eat so much you don't need to spend thousands on the bloody surgery in the first place.

how sad.

i wonder though, when someone is really big and they lose weight do they have to get surgery to get rid of the excess skin?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    so really if you could just change the reasons why you eat so much you don't need to spend thousands on the bloody surgery in the first place.

how sad.

i wonder though, when someone is really big and they lose weight do they have to get surgery to get rid of the excess skin?
    I think for people who are really, morbidly obese, gastric bypass can be a life-saver, if they are truly ready to change their lives.

When you lose weight that quickly, you're going to have a lot of sagging skin. My friend lost 90+ lbs in 4 months. I bet a lot of them do have surgery to get rid of the skin.

I feel for people like Carnie -- it must really screw with your mind to go through the surgery, etc. and still have the issues and still have to struggle.

I don't feel sorry for her at all. I can't stand her, she is so annoying!

I used to work with a woman whose doctor wouldn't
    okay a bypass or a Lap-band. She was huge, I watched
    her gain like 60 pounds in a year. And she was a vile, loud,
    miserable person who ate only crap. And a LOT of it.
    Maybe her doctor recognized that she needed more help
    than a surgery could provide? I don't know. I always
    wondered though.
    Do patients have to undergo any mental evaluations for
    these things?

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I think for people who are really, morbidly obese, gastric bypass can be a life-saver, if they are truly ready to change their lives.

When you lose weight that quickly, you're going to have a lot of sagging skin. My friend lost 90+ lbs in 4 months. I bet a lot of them do have surgery to get rid of the skin.

I feel for people like Carnie -- it must really screw with your mind to go through the surgery, etc. and still have the issues and still have to struggle.

yeah, i suppose if you are teetering on the brink of a heart attack/diabetes/stroke implosion, you are gonna need to lose the weight fast.

but, i don't understand how it works. i mean if you eat too much do you just throw it up? or does your body push it through too fast and you get really sick. you would probably have to learn new behaviour. i just don't understand how someone can go from being used to eating lots of food one day, getting the surgery, then starving after that. wouldn't they get incredibly hungry (mentally) because they are used to eating so much?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    yeah, i suppose if you are teetering on the brink of a heart attack/diabetes/stroke implosion, you are gonna need to lose the weight fast.

but, i don't understand how it works. i mean if you eat too much do you just throw it up? or does your body push it through too fast and you get really sick. you would probably have to learn new behaviour. i just don't understand how someone can go from being used to eating lots of food one day, getting the surgery, then starving after that. wouldn't they get incredibly hungry (mentally) because they are used to eating so much?
    From what I understand, they make your stomach incredibly small, like the size of a 2-year-old's, and then they do some re-routing with your intestines. It is major surgery. Once you start eating after the surgery (you are on liquids at first), you can only eat about 1-2 tablespoons of food at a time. If you eat food that is too high in fat, it can cause problems with your digestive track, and too much sugar can cause the "dumping" syndrome. I think that for the first few months it is easy to stick to it, because you are recovering from major surgery, riding the high of losing weight fast, etc. You simply cannot physically eat more. Once you settle in to things, and you are able to eat a bit more and not feel physically ill, you begin to have to deal with wanting to eat, and having to use moderation and willpower. Your pouch can stretch and if you "dump" or have a high-fat digestive situation, you are miserable, but you won't be the next time you do it -- so that's a situation you have to avoid. The surgery is an aid to weight loss, but you have to eat healthy and exercise to make it a permanent change. Some people who have surgery have turned to other addictive behaviors -- replacing food with alcohol or excessive shopping. It's not something you enter into lightly. You need to be aware of the pros and cons. My friend went through months of counseling before she was approved for it. I don't know if that is the case everywhere.

My husband had gastric bypass surgery about 6 yrs ago. He lost 170 lbs and has kept it off since. His diabetes went away in the first week after surgery. It is most definately a treatment not a cure. A person truly has to want to stay alive to decide on this type of surgery as it is a last resort. The place where we went would not even accept anyone ie: pre-screening tests until they proved to have tried every type of diet pretty much. He underwent many, many types of test before they approved him.

Yes if not careful then a dumping syndrome episode can occur and small portions are encouraged at first. It was amazing to see him full on a half of a small McDonald's hamburger when months before he would eat a large Whopper. We were also told for him not to have carbonated drinks as it will stretch out the stomach.

His biggest fear was that the surgery would not work. He also felt that why do this major surgery if you are not going to be serious about it. It is done laproscopically but it is still major surgery.

This surgery had truly saved his life. All of his organs were shutting down.

I suppose it is possible to transfer the vice of overeating to other vices but fortunately for him he did not.

I had to lose 25 lbs so as not to become diabetic. I did three years ago and have kept it off. I have a new respect for anyone who has a weight problem and continues to diet. It is dam hard. Bravo to anyone who has dieted or is dieting and has lost some of the weight.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

good for you viggofan!!! diabetes is a scary fucking disease and i think a lot of ppl are de-sensitized to it; but it really ruins the quality of your life and in a lot of cases shortens it significantly so im glad u guys didn't get it!

thats 1 reason why i try pretty hard to keep in shape cuz diabetes runs like a bitch in the Italian side of my family no matter what you size even. its scary. i've seen what it does to ppl first hand.

^^ thank you

the sad part is that my hubby's diabetes was so out of control (not by his part) that it left him now on dialysis with kidney failure, the need for a transplant, and in the throes of blindness. The diabetes is gone but it risidual effects are devastating. He is only 53 yrs old.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by viggofan View Post
    ^^ thank you

the sad part is that my hubby's diabetes was so out of control (not by his part) that it left him now on dialysis with kidney failure, the need for a transplant, and in the throes of blindness. The diabetes is gone but it risidual effects are devastating. He is only 53 yrs old.
    Wow. I'm sorry to hear that. I don't think people realize how bad diabetes can be.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread Information