Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Aretha Franklin looking skeletal

I'm also leaning towards illness. She looks frail in that photo with the shorts.
    Wisher and arie_skop like this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    I'm also leaning towards illness. She looks frail in that photo with the shorts.
    That's what is making me think illness too. There is a real frailness to her now.
    Wisher likes this.

I agree. There have been rumours for a long time of her having cancer. Sad.

What I find really sad is that she's might be ill, yet her weight loss is being glorified.
    Who cares if she's ill right? As long as she is slim it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Melyanna View Post
    What I find really sad is that she's might be ill, yet her weight loss is being glorified.
    Who cares if she's ill right? As long as she is slim it's all good.
    Well to be fair, she's not confirmed the rumors about being sick. (Although now that it's been brought up, I agree it seems likely).

And her weight before was a health issue in and of itself. If one were to take her at face value and assume she didn't have cancer or other illness, this weight loss would be a very good thing for her.

I don't think people are fixating on her weight as a vanity thing, more of a concern for the health of a legend we want to be around for longer. At least that's where I'm coming from.
    Wisher, holly and czb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Well to be fair, she's not confirmed the rumors about being sick. (Although now that it's been brought up, I agree it seems likely).

And her weight before was a health issue in and of itself. If one were to take her at face value and assume she didn't have cancer or other illness, this weight loss would be a very good thing for her.

I don't think people are fixating on her weight as a vanity thing, more of a concern for the health of a legend we want to be around for longer. At least that's where I'm coming from.
    I am referring to the article specifically, I find it a bit unsettling how it cheerfully mentions she's "stunning fans" with her new figure now that she's back from an illness.
    Maybe I am reading too much into it, but it seems a bit off to me.

Aretha Franklin's Stunning Weight Loss

August 2, 2017

Kesha Monk

She's baaaaaaack! After months of rest under doctor's orders, the Queen of Soul recently returned to the stage sporting an entirely new frame..
    Fans were totally surprised during a recent appearance in Virginia a few days ago when Aretha emerged on stage revealing a significant weight loss. After an illnesses sidelined her from a number of shows last year and this summer, she boasted a brand new confidence. Fans gave her an extremely warm welcome back as she sang one of her hits, showing her voice hasn’t changed a bit! The 75 year old superstar is currently on her final concert tour and she's looking forward to retirement from live performances, although said she might continue to record.

If she is sick, she obviously doesn't want anyone to know, so I get why media outlets choose to go along with that positive slant, even if it's obvious she's probably not well. And fans probably just want to believe she's fine.

The thing that most gave me pause is how she performed sitting down in a big stuffed armchair that belongs in a living room. But it's her health and she has every right to want to keep it private, so...

Whoah. That's a lot of lost weight...
    Wisher likes this.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    AGC.com says she's ill; whatever was in remission, has come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I do....it's so sad. Poor Aretha...what a life she's led.
    Yes I had heard that too. Something isn't right whatever it is and since she's not sharing what it is. I guess we have to respect that
    and wish her well. What a legend she is.
    Reset my laptop and my old name Wisher came up when I logged in.
    Eat it, it'll put hairs on your chest
    Well, dye me red and call me blondie

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    no way she lost that weight from a diet. she's either sick or she had surgery. i also think she looks ill.
    Surgery alone doesn't cause a hugely significant loss like that. It's in conjunction with a very strict diet. You can have an egg sized stomach and still experience weight gain. It's about food choices.

That being said, she looks frail to me but I do know some who had WLS and lost tons of weight like that and looked frail. The body eats itself and you become skinny fat until you stabilize and re-build some muscle.

Blind Gossip has a story about a "legend" who got HIV from someone and the meds are no longer working, sure sounds like Aretha to me.

Silver Member

^ Whoa! That's sad if true.
    Reset my laptop and my old name Wisher came up when I logged in.
    Eat it, it'll put hairs on your chest
    Well, dye me red and call me blondie

doesn't it sound like it could be her? terrible

Legend Has AIDS

AUGUST 10, 2017 BLIND GOSSIP

[Media Take Out] Some shocking news that hurt our heart – and it’s about a legendary African-American celebrity.

According to our snitch, the female celeb, who is seen as a legend in this country, contracted HIV from a male partner back in the 1980s and has been on medication.

Well the snitch says that the medication is no longer working, and she now has full blown AIDS.

When she dies, and that could happen shortly, the cause of death will be a “rare cancer.”

Similar: At The Hospital

Celebrity:

Did you suspect she was ill?

^Well, that's a real narrow description. "She", "African-American", "legend" and "1980's". Who is alive now among the female A-A celebs who is considered a legend? I can only think of Tina Turner and she's been married to that German dude forever (not that that is a guarantee, but still) and Dionne Warwick, maybe.
    Palermo likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

It's obviously meant to be Aretha. Not sure I buy it though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information