Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After 150lb weight loss, Ruby Gettinger says friends have tried to sabotage her

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    The same people who have ragged on me for being heavy, have also criticized me when I've lost weight. "Now you're TOO skinny.", they'd say. I say fuck 'em, Ruby, and do what you need to do for yourself.
    99% of people are wishy-washy. First they support you, then they shank you in the back. Fuck off you bitchettes, I say!

Elite Member

Friends can derail efforts to lose weight, quit smoking, etc. People are supportive, but continued success is threatening. It's not so much that they want you to fail, but your success makes them feel inferior because they can't do the same with whatever they are trying to control.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Doll View Post
    99% of people are wishy-washy. First they support you, then they shank you in the back. Fuck off you bitchettes, I say!
    Even The Oprah complained about this in her really skinny days. Fans would tell her that they felt uncomfortable with her being thin, 'cause she was no longer "one of them"....whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
    Friends can derail efforts to lose weight, quit smoking, etc. People are supportive, but continued success is threatening. It's not so much that they want you to fail, but your success makes them feel inferior because they can't do the same with whatever they are trying to control.
    Perfectly said.

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    I watch the show. Her friends seem supportive at first, but then they do things like eat fattening food in front of her and enable her cheating.

I only watched a few times, but i noticed the same thing. I started to not like her friends or her nephew very much. I thought they were worse than the ex boyfriend.

Happy trails to you...until we meet again.
    I love & miss you Dad.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

As you make changes to your life your confidence and resilience improves and you stop being such a pushover when people lean on you to do things "their way" and you stop being just a "pleaser-bot" and start looking to doing things for yourself, too. I wonder if that is a reason why some people are trying to sabotage her?

I wonder if that is a reason why some people are trying to sabotage her?
    That and I get the impression that they like feeling superior to Ruby. Maybe I'm reading too much into it though. Sometimes people like seeing a friend down, then they feel better about their own lives.

That and I get the impression that they like feeling superior to Ruby. Maybe I'm reading too much into it though. Sometimes people like seeing a friend down, then they feel better about their own lives.
    No, bellini, I think that you are correct. People can be like that. I've seen people try to get recovering alcoholics to drink again for the exact same reason.

So true.

I watch the show. Her friends seem supportive at first, but then they do things like eat fattening food in front of her and enable her cheating.

Sometimes the people in a person who is trying to change's life have a lot invested in that person staying the same. It's very weird but they get threatened when someone gets themselves together. They'd rather see you down because it makes them feel good. I saw this when my brother was trying to quit smoking. His smoker friends did a lot to get him smoking again. He had to ditch one of them who wouldn't respect his request not to smoke around him.
    Sounds like maybe he should've ditched more of them....

The same people who have ragged on me for being heavy, have also criticized me when I've lost weight. "Now you're TOO skinny.", they'd say. I say fuck 'em, Ruby, and do what you need to do for yourself.
    Now, my SIL is too skinny, she's all bobble-head & teeny body... That was at Xmas & apparently she's lost even more... hasn't toned anything up, has just lost weight... madness...
    Just saying....

No, bellini, I think that you are correct. People can be like that. I've seen people try to get recovering alcoholics to drink again for the exact same reason.
    & they were alcoholics too? I've seen that happen...

She's got another 150lbs to go & she's doing great. Drop the friends like you dropped the first 100lbs. Send the candy to a homeless shelter or goodwill or sell it on ebay to pay for the new sexy clothes you're going to need.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    & they were alcoholics too? I've seen that happen...
    Oh yeah. I've seen it happen too. Just haters, and people who don't want to see someone else do better, or it will force them to look at their own lives.

When you are trying to abstain from booze, drugs, excess food, whatever, many times it involves cutting ties with people you are close to; it's the only way for some.

check out the forums for Ruby's show, I went there for the first time yesterday; those people are as crazy as the Brangelina fantards. If anybody dares to say one thing negative about the show they all jump on them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information