Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lena Headey too 'emaciated' for role in the TV Terminator

Default Lena Headey too 'emaciated' for role in the TV Terminator

British actress Lena Headey has been criticised for looking too "emaciated" to play iconic action heroine Sarah Connor in a new Terminator TV series.

While the show made an impressive debut, with more than 18million US viewers last week, Headey's lean physique has quickly been put under the microscope, with some deeming her unsuitable for the part.
    Scroll down for more...
    Slender: Lena Headey is under fire for her 'toothpick-thin' physique

Action: The actress plays Sarah Connor in the new American series

The role was first made famous by iron-pumping Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

Hamilton turned the character into a "butt-kicking inspiration to millions of women," according to the Los Angeles Times.

But now a critic writing for the paper says: "Some who worship at the altar of Sarah Connor detect heresy in the casting of Headey, who's healthy-looking and attractive but not exactly Ms Olympia."
    Scroll down for more...
    Muscles: Linda Hamilton got seriously toned for her role in Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Others are less gentle in their criticism of the West Yorkshire-born actress, whose films credits include The Remains Of The Day, 300 and St Trinian's.

Under the microscope: the British actress' new show is a hit but her body has attracted criticism

Boston Herald critic Mark Perigard wrote: "I'd like to give her time - and some pasta - to help her grow into her jeans. Headey looks remarkably like actress Lara Flynn Boyle. She's a twig of an action heroine."

The Sarah Connor Charm School, a Terminator fan group which focuses on "physical feminist empowerment", is also unimpressed by the choice.

The group's spokesperson Kym Lambert said: "We were very upset to find out that a very thin and non-athletic actress had been chosen out of, supposedly, hundreds to play a role that we as physical feminists found so inspiring."

British feminist and novelist Bidisha echoed the group's concerns.

She said: "I am shocked to find out that the producers are clearly sanctioning a new, weedy silhouette in such an iconic and genuinely groundbreaking role.

"There are two issues here: having a toothpick-thin, feeble-looking Sarah Connor is a crime against the iconography of the character; and presenting a clearly emaciated actress as a heroine is a crime against women."

For her part, Headey has played down the unflattering comparions to Hamilton, blaming her lack of bulging biceps on a shortage of time to work out.

She has said: "The film had the luxury of more money and more time."

"If they were going to give me a month, and a trainer every day, and a chef, then it would be fantastic... it's a TV show, for God's sake!"
    Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which also sees British star Owain Yeoman fill Arnold Schwarzenegger's original part, will air in the UK next month.
    Original: Arnold Schwarzenegger, pictured here in Terminator 2: Judgment Day, does not appear in the new TV series - the role has been filled by British star Owain Yeoman

Leaner Lena Headey too 'emaciated' for role in the TV Terminator | the Daily Mail

Isn't is also a "crime against women" to use an actress with bodily proportions of muscle mass that most women will never achieve without costly specialty intervention, such as intense dieting, strategic weight training and a little bit of "vitamins"? And that some women will never achieve period? I'm not necessarily saying it is, but if you follow the arguments offered here, this is the same line of logic.

I don't see a "weedy" toothpick. The flesh on her bones looks proportionate to her bone structure. I'm not sure how much an ectomorphic body is going to have to put on before it is deemed "healthy looking." If anything, I'm glad that she doesn't look plastic, starved, or like she's been popping testosterone for the past 7 months. Analytically, this strikes me as a somewhat separate issue to whether this was an instance of good casting (and it doesn't seem ideal, after all, though I thought she was great in Imagine You and Me lol).
    Last edited by ariesallover; January 22nd, 2008 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Anti-punctuation moment. Maybe I just didn't eat enough to be functional.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Hit By Ban Bus!

I think she looks toned and fabulous.

She doesn't look emaciated to me. Maybe not quite as buff as Linda Hamilton, but hell...many women aren't able to achieve that anyway. Especially if ectomorphic.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Just judging from these pics alone, I don't see emancipated. I have certainly seen worse. I think she looks okay. But just from a few pics I can't really be sure.

I do not think she appears emaciated; Summer Glau captures that title. If Lena is emaciated, Summer Glau should be force fed.

I do feel the show is entertaining, while feeling Lena was not the best actress for the role. For me, she doesn't quite "fit".

Not every woman can look like the bulky female tennis players. We can be strong and feminine.

She doesn't look emaciated, but she does look as if her ass could easily be kicked.

I haven't seen the show, but she doesn't seem like a very good fit IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    She doesn't look emaciated, but she does look as if her ass could easily be kicked.
    That's a good description. She looks kind of model-y too. I picture Sarah Connor being more tomboyish. I've heard people say they think the John Connor role is miscast too.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post

TOok the words right out of my mouth. ABsolutely. I wouldnt say she is emaciated but she does look like a toned toothpick and should have some more muscle and bulk on her if she is trying to look like the Sarah Conner she is suppose to look like. They should have told her to bulk up.
    If the mind, that rules the body, ever so far forgets itself as to trample on its slave, the slave is never generous enough to forgive the injury, but will rise and smite the oppressor. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

She hardly looks emaciated, but I agree, she might have tried a bit more exercise prior to the role.

Having said that, very few actresses could look as awesome as Linda Hamilton in Terminator too. I'm not even generally fond of overly muscly women, but she looked FIERCE!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

She's not emaciated at all, she looks great. A bit weak, maybe, that I have to admit.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I think she looks great and find her to be quite stunning to look at on TV. The show on the other hand...eh, it seems a bit flat.

Meh...you don't need a ton of muscles to handle a gun.

This girl does not look emaciated.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Headey has played down the unflattering comparions to Hamilton, blaming her lack of bulging biceps on a shortage of time to work out.
    Honey, if I can lift weights in 30 minutes and bulk up so can you. You don't need a fucking trainer, you jus need to pick up a set of free weights and do 3 sets of 10.

Fuck, if you cant do that then do 100 slow pushups in blocks of 20. Takes like 10 minutes and bulks you up damn well.

Lazy ass.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

She was gorgeous in 300...long live Queen Gorgo.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information