Thread: Catherine Zeta-Jones laughs off anorexia rumors

Default Catherine Zeta-Jones laughs off anorexia rumors

10/28/2007

By K.C. Baker

Catherine Zeta-Jones is brushing off questions about her recent weight loss, saying she's merely exercising and eating well to keep her svelte figure.

The actress told PEOPLE she laughed when her husband, Michael Douglas, informed her that reports had surfaced suggesting she had an eating disorder. "Michael was laughing at me. He told me what [people had] said – that stories say I'm anorexic. Do I look anorexic?" she told PEOPLE Saturday at the Savannah Film Festival. "How could I ever, ever be anorexic?"

The actress, who joined her husband and their two children, Dylan, 7, and Carys, 4, at the Savannah College of Art and Design's 10th Annual Savannah Film Festival where Douglas was given a Lifetime Achievement Award for acting, said that her eating habits have simply changed a little.

In the past she was a "bread girl," she said, adding, "I looooove bread."
 But these days, "I'm just working out and not chomping down what I usually chomp down."

Zeta-Jones, wearing a black strapless dress at a festival afterparty, said she's concerned about the attention on women's weight. "There are many women [who are] maybe a little fragile, and it becomes a huge issue."

Douglas Jokes About Lifetime Achievement Award
    Earlier in the evening, after viewing a montage of Douglas's film career, the actor thanked the Savannah Film Festival for the award. "As far as a lifetime achievement award goes, you always think, 'Have they talked to your doctor?'" he quipped.

He also thanked his father, Kirk Douglas, for his support, his mentor, Karl Malden, who starred with him in The Streets of San Francisco, and his mother, Diana. "My mother is an actress…[She's] not anywhere as famous as my father, but my mother always had such a love of acting, such a joy. It wasn't how successful she was in her career but how much she loved acting and that helped me a lot.

Douglas, 63, also joked about how his children are too young to know much about their father's career. "Dylan is 7 and Carys is 4. I don't have a movie that they can see. So up until tonight, they knew mommy is an actress and daddy makes pancakes. So thank you. Now they know what their father does."
    Source: Catherine Zeta-Jones Laughs Off Anorexia Rumors - Bodywatch, Catherine Zeta-Jones : People.com
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

I hate when somebody loses weight and its instantly 'anorexia'. Diet and exercise works wonders. Catherine looks great, not too skinny at all.

Bronze Member

her arm has that extra loose skin from loosing weight too fast at her age. she may not have an eating disorder but she appears to be trying to keep up the 'bridget jones' in terms on small

That is NOT anorexic. That is a ten pound weight loss at most.

I hate it that the media has perpetrated the stereotype that a little weight loss is the same as anorexia. Anorexia is a serious psychological disease.. passing it off as 'eating less and losing weight' is irresponsible journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    That is NOT anorexic. That is a ten pound weight loss at most.

I hate it that the media has perpetrated the stereotype that a little weight loss is the same as anorexia. Anorexia is a serious psychological disease.. passing it off as 'eating less and losing weight' is irresponsible journalism.
    Bravo.

Catherine looks skinnier (I like her with a little more meat on her bones), but she certainly doesn't look sick. She doesn't look sick at all.

ITA.

Anorexia is a life-long condition. I remember when I lost a startling amount of weight people started questioning me about whether I was Anorexic or not. I wasn't, people just didn't realise how much junk food I'd put away when I was larger!

I do wonder whether there is not a touch of jealousy when accusing slimmed down people as being Anorexic.

She has lost weight but an eating disorder never crossed by mind. She looks good.
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung View Post
    I hate when somebody loses weight and its instantly 'anorexia'. Diet and exercise works wonders. Catherine looks great, not too skinny at all.
    Haha, my favourite is when a celeb gains five pounds. The gossip mags instantly develop a cover page with the headline: "So-And-So: PREGNANT?"
    I saw a film today, oh boy.

You cant judge on weight alone ,
    someone can be anorexic and then bulimic or binge eater, ect and not really "look" it. I am not saying Catherine is , what i am saying is "SHE doesnt LOOK anorexic" doesnt mean she isn't. There are varying degrees.
    If the mind, that rules the body, ever so far forgets itself as to trample on its slave, the slave is never generous enough to forgive the injury, but will rise and smite the oppressor. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I don't remember any stories about her being anorexic......

I don't like her in that pic. I think she looks gorgeous with more curves.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
    I don't like her in that pic. I think she looks gorgeous with more curves.
    I don't either, I think she's a little too skinny now.

I think she looked better a bit bigger.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Thread Information