Thread: Brittany Snow: dieting was 'my best friend'

Default Brittany Snow: dieting was 'my best friend'

Brittany Snow: Dieting Was 'My Best Friend'

Brittany Snow's descent into the dark world of eating disorders began when she landed the role of Susan Lemay on TV's Guiding Light, the actress, now 21, tells MTVU.com.

"I remember looking around at all these women who were on the soap opera who were working out and dieting," Snow says.

Taking their cue, a 12-year-old Snow tried her first diet, called Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type. "I took it to the extreme," the Hairspray star admits, which included a two-month stint when she "lived on pineapple."

After losing 10 lbs. on the diet, Snow says she heard compliments and felt accepted from those around her. Soon it was a feeling she couldn't get enough of.

"It kind of progressed into this thing where I needed to always be dieting and losing weight and more weight," she says in the site's interview series Half of Us, which addresses mental health issues and ways to get help. "It became my life and I didn't have any friends and this was definitely my best friend and I held on to it really tight."

At 15, Snow was stepping onto the scale 10 to 15 times a day and weighed only 85 lbs.

"I knew that was a really low number and I knew that my hair was falling out and I had really weird skin. My face looked really weird and I was getting this fuzz on my face and I was always cold – always to the point of uncontrollably shaking," she says. " But "I was more scared that 85 lbs. wasn't good enough. I wanted to be lower."

Rock bottom came when Snow began cutting herself. "I would look at the scars and what I had done to myself and that would convince me not to eat," she says. "I also was crying for attention and I also really wanted someone to see my scars and help me and give me a hug."

By 19, Snow was in rehab and things took a turn for the better. She stopped cutting and got help for her depression. "But the eating stuff was still really hard to deal with," she says. "It's still a struggle."

Her advice to girls who are going though a similar situation is to take baby steps. "It's very important to talk to anybody. Maybe the first step is just to talk to a friend about it," she says. "Probably they'll relate in some way."

Brittany Snow: Dieting Was 'My Best Friend' - Brittany Snow : People.com

Wow.. I had no idea. I always thought she was really healthy and admired her for not giving into the 'thin' trend. I guess it's a lot more common than people realize.

Not surprised, she was so skinny when she was on American Dreams. Happy to hear she is realizing how bad that was.
    Love ya,
    Dara

Gold Member

Poor thing. So many people are so messed up with these ED.

wow. i'm actually sad for her.
    Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul.
    Marilyn Monroe

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

God, I'm sick of all this "I used to have an eating disorder but now I just try to be healthy" crap they spew. First of all, I bet you still obsess over your weight and size. Secondly, I really think it is just another press opportunity concealed as an effort to help others.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    God, I'm sick of all this "I used to have an eating disorder but now I just try to be healthy" crap they spew. First of all, I bet you still obsess over your weight and size. Secondly, I really think it is just another press opportunity concealed as an effort to help others.
    I agree.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Off to my second cup of ice cream. This dieting/ED celeb drama only makes me hungrier.

Rehab and EDs are so in... but seriously, even recovered, there is a good chance she still obssesses, or has some obssessive thoughts. That's part of the reason it's an illness; people have a horrible time changing their way of thinking and viewing themselves and food. Still, I do think many of these celebs are coming forward mainly for press. Sometimes I think by so many famous people admitting they had an eating disorder, young people might see it as glamorous and normal and a stage to go through, if that makes any sense. I do appreciate honesty though.

Thread Information