Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Lewis unveils its 'size normal' model girls

Default John Lewis unveils its 'size normal' model girls

John Lewis unveils its 'size normal' model girls

John Lewis unveils its 'size normal' model girls | the Daily Mail

Bigger range: Size 12 Lauren Moller is the way forward

John Lewis plans to capitalise on the backlash against size-zero models by using "normal-sized" women to advertise its clothes.

In a bold stance, the department store will employ a variety of women of different shapes and weights and will even use larger mannequins in its shop windows.
    John Lewis believes that it has laid down the gauntlet for other High Street retailers to convey a "realistic" image of what women look like.
    It hopes the move will help to combat anorexia, the potentially fatal eating disorder that affects thousands of girls and young women, which critics say is fuelled by images of routinely ultra-slim models.
    Bosses also think the campaign could have a similar impact to the marketing for Dove skincare products.
    Sales rocketed thanks to its advertisements showing women with fuller figures.
    While the average British woman is a size 16, most models are a size eight, ten or even six.
    John Lewis is already using a size 12 model to market its 2007 summer swimwear collection.
    Old standard: Slim model Petra Nemcova

But it was forced to recruit South African Lauren Moller because none of its British model suppliers had women of that size on their books.
    John Lewis spokesman Mark Forsyth said the company would not necessarily stop using size eight models but would ensure more variety.
    He said: "It's about health and promoting diversity. We are hoping that this will stimulate a debate."
    The company has recruited Britain's leading campaigner on how the media and fashion industry influence eating disorders to advise it how to switch to its new, "more responsible" policy.
    Susan Ringwood, of Beat, the eating disorders association, will tell designers and executives that while advertising featuring skinny models does not itself cause eating disorders, it can help young women at risk of developing anorexia or bulimia to justify bad eating habits.
    "I'm delighted that John Lewis has approached me to do this and are showing some leadership in this area,"she said.
    "They feel that people on the High Street aren't going forward as quickly as they should be.
    "It's brave of them to be seen to be addressing these challenging issues."
    Seven years ago, Marks & Spencer paid the price of such bravery. It saw sales fall after a TV commercial for its fashion range featured a size 16 model tearing her clothes off.
    John Lewis's announcement comes in the week that the British Fashion Council will unveil the results of an independent inquiry into the negative influence of ultra-thin models.
    The BFC was criticised for failing to follow other international fashion shows by banning such models from its catwalks at London Fashion Week in February. It has been warned that the inquiry, led by Labour peer Baroness Kingsmill, is the industry's last chance to "put its house in order" over the situation before the Government intervenes.

Hooray! The swimwear model above looks amazing and so much healthier than the emaciated twelve year olds that a lot of retailers use, she's gorgeous. John Lewis is a good department store, i'm glad they're doint this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

The model in the swimsuit is completely succulent! Hooray for bodies with actual flesh on them. She's still thin, but more realistic and in my opinion more attractive than the skinnier model.

Petra Nemcova used to be very skinny. I wasn't aware of that. She looks so much better now.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

So they're going the JC Penny or Sears route then?

GuvmentCheese

To me, the size 12 model has an ideal figure.

woooohoooo! It is about dang time people realized that a two by four has not curves, only straight lines and right angles. Notice us curvy, sexy beasts.

*shakes big butt and bounce tig ole bitties*

Those girls are gorgeous, but still kinda small. How does a UK 12 translate to US sizes?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Elite Member

So, she's UK size 12, that means she's US size 8. That's a realistic size for most women. As I have discovered, it is almost impossible to diet/exercise below a size 4 unless you're just naturally inclined to fall there.

GuvmentCheese

To me, that model looks like an American, size 10. She seems to be blessed with a very nice and proportionate shape. Womanly yet fit.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    The model in the swimsuit is completely succulent! Hooray for bodies with actual flesh on them. She's still thin, but more realistic and in my opinion more attractive than the skinnier model.
    I totally agree. That's a healthy, realistically attainable size. She looks beautiful!

Hit By Ban Bus!

she still looks thin to me, but her boobies are pretty big. definately real though.

That's a very good start. The models face and body are very beautiful.She looks healthy and I agree that, this is attainable to the average woman.
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

It's sad that a majority of designers would have passed this girl up for someone hideous like Kate Moss. Laura is stunning, and her body is beautiful. Hooray! I hope other designers follow suit.

Elite Member

God the size 12 model is an absolute stunner. Talk about a goddess!
    "Don't think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look fuckable will help. Remember your in a rock and roll band. It's not "Fuck Me", It's "Fuck You!"
    Chrissie Hynde

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information