View Poll Results: Are most of these stickfigure models really anorexic?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes most are..they have a disorder/anorexia

30 55.56%
  • No most know they are skin and bones and are just skinny to fit the image and compete

18 33.33%
  • other

6 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these stick-thin models really anorexic..?

Default Are these stick-thin models really anorexic..?

I have a feeling that alot of these stick-thin models are really not anorexic(some might be). To really be anorexic in my mind they have to think they look normal, and do not have a problem, and have to see themselves in a way they really are not(having some sort of body dysmorphic disorder where they really think they look fat/overweight. I have a feeling that many of these models just know that thin is in and they are doing what they are doing just to make it in their business, and maybe some for the attention.

What do you think?

I know that some must really have the disorder, but I have a hard time applying it to many of them. I think alot of them know they are underweight stick figures, would actually like to gain weight and all, but are doing what they are doing to 'fit an image'..not because they think they are fat..
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

i don't know what the exact proportion of anorexic vs. naturally skinny is but while it's true a lot of models stay that thin by having eating disorders or close, or by doing drugs or being exercise junkies, but there are definitely girls that have the body type and metabolism to model. i know a girl that models and does runway for the big fashion houses and she's not anorexic. she's french and 20 and has the look naturally and keeps it with a bit of exercise and watching what she eats and being pretty active - she's a law student, model and walks and takes the métro everywhere. and it's her natural build. she's 1m79 but with a very thin, slender bone structure usually only found on girls that are much shorter and she did ballet for years. it pretty much comes naturally.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Also note that I did specify 'stickthin' not just thin and slender. I mean the kind where you look at them and go OMG! Are they really sick..or do they know they are dangerously thin..but think they can get away with it and do it for the work, to compete, to stand out, etc. ?

I just wonder which ones of the stickfigure-type models really are sick, and which ones know damn well what they are doing, but do it anyway because of the business they are in?
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

In all honesty, i think the term 'anorexic' is thrown around far too often when it doesn't apply. I'm accused of being an anorexic when i am nowhere near as scrawny as these stickthin models. Celebrities are either "fat" or "anorexic" and there is no inbetween ground where the media would be satisfied with a celebrities weight. My point being is even if you look somewhat slim/stick figurish then by media logic you are an anorexic. Personally i believe that models recognise that being thin is in for the catwalk and therefore they become thin to fulfil that job requirement - i'm sure some have eating disorders just as other models recognise that they are thin but keep it up to compete on the catwalk.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Maybe several don't have all the deep-rooted issues that true anorexics do, but I think the majority are technically speaking, anorexic due to the ridiculous demands of the job. With quite a few moving becoming truly pathological.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Hit By Ban Bus!

i think lots of them are naturally thin. alot of girls can stay slim eating (not a high) but normal caloric intake. i mean if you ate healthy and you had a good metabolism you could stay quite thin.

others i think are anorexic, and some are not anorexic but on drugs.

Whether they're starving to get that thing or it comes "naturally", they're both unhealthy so they both need help.
    I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and sky...

Hit By Ban Bus!

why should you get help if it comes naturally to be thin? as long as you don't have any medical problems. i've had friends completely tiny and they were all very healthy and ate well. they were just really thin! lucky them i say. and to be really tall and naturally thin, i'd be a model too!

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenseventeen View Post
    Whether they're starving to get that thing or it comes "naturally", they're both unhealthy so they both need help.
    this is total bullshit I am naturally thin and the doctors have told me to enjoy it I've tried everything to gain weight and eat like a horse. There is no help for me i just have a high metabolism
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

I agree! Some people are just going to be thin. Especially when younger-at 18 I was able to eat anything without gaining a pound. hat did not last,alas.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

lookin 4 Firecrotch Lohan as i reload my gun!

and keep in mind.....there are some people walking around that are very skinny not cuz they choose to be but because there may be medical issues involved.
    "I was stoned. It seemed like a fun thing to do at the time. " -Jim Morrison

Im still funny over the Kiera Knightley Photos...did anyone see Bend it like Beckham, this girl is not going to put a KG on till she stops and has 30 minutes alone with a tube of pringles, after filming......or would it be better that in the pick up shoots for Worlds end (the last Pirates movie) she looks like a tellitubbie......its a job and shes keeping the continuity....aside from being naturally skinny......I know the silly fatties can be jellous, but give the movie going public a moments grace

another good example....do any of you watch the show The Agency?? i've seen several examples on this show where they are trying to pick female models and constantly going thru their pics and talking about "she's too fat" "shes not skinny enuf" or even telling them "your waist is too big, you need to lose at least 3 inches off your waist!" my guess is that if you want to be in the business, you'd better expect to be very thin at some point.

could drugs come into play <koff kate moss>
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    could drugs come into play <koff kate moss>
    i would think that some of them might use drugs....i personally know many people that use them for weight loss. so if it's that easy for non-celebrities to use them it wouldn't be unheard of for celebrities to use them, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information