Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another dead anorexic model

Default Yet another dead anorexic model

February 14, 2007
    Teenage model dies six months after anorexic sister

The death on the catwalk of a young woman who followed a starvation diet failed to deter her younger sister from pursuing a modelling career. Now she too is dead

Tom Hennigan in São Paulo

A teenage model has been found dead only six months after her model sister died at a fashion show of complications arising from anorexia.
    Eliana Ramos, 18, was found dead in her bedroom in Montevideo, Uraguay, by her grandmother, with whom she was staying. She is believed to have had a heart attack.

The findings of a post-mortem examination have yet to be released but local reports suggested that Ms Ramos, who was taking part in the Montevideo fashion week, suffered from "alimentary deficiency".

Her parents, who were on holiday at the time of her death, were said to be devastated by the loss of a second daughter in six months.

Luisel Ramos, 22, collapsed and died on the catwalk during a fashion show in Montevideo last year. Eliana had just embraced her sister and wished her good luck in what was their first show together.

Their father said afterwards that his daughter had been on a diet of lettuce and diet-cola in an attempt to lose weight. Her body mass index (BMI) was found to be below the level considered starvation by the World Health Organisation.

Despite her sister’s fate Ms Ramos, nicknamed Elle by family and friends, had decided to continue her modeling career. She had signed with one of Argentina’s top agencies and the blonde, blue-eyed teenager was considered to have a promising career in Europe and the US.

She had been signed up recently by Dotto Models, the agency that represented her sister. Pancho Dotto, the owner of the agency, today dismissed claims that an eating disorder was responsible for Elian's death.

"She was very healthy, she ate well and played sports,” said Mr Dotto. “She was never extremely thin. It is absurd to talk of alimentary deficiency, anorexia, bulimia and all that. It is clear that the deaths of the Ramos sisters are due to a genetic problem and not an eating disorder."

Luisel’s death, one of several among young South American models in recent months, sparked an intense debate in the fashion industry about the use of “size-zero” models. In Madrid and Milan, fashion week organisers imposed a BMI minimum for all models taking part.

London’s refusal to ban size-zero models sparked a furious debate about whether organisers were doing enough to protect young women desperate for success in an industry that demands that its models be thin.

In São Paulo organisers of the fashion week banned models under the age of 16 and demanded a health certificate from those taking part in runway shows, partly in response to the death last November of Ana Carolina Reston, 21, who died of complications arising from anorexia. At the time of her death she weighed only 6st (40kg).
    Teenage model dies six months after anorexic sister-News-World-US & Americas-TimesOnline

I can't believe the gall of the agency saying it must have been genetic. It's not genetic, it's an attempt to live on diet coke and lettuce leaves.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Elite Member

oh god that is so tragic.
    "Don't think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look fuckable will help. Remember your in a rock and roll band. It's not "Fuck Me", It's "Fuck You!"
    Chrissie Hynde

Hit By Ban Bus!

Fuck, fuck, fuck. This is so wrong. It's all Twiggy's fault (or of whoever launched her as too skinny is beautiful)! This makes stupid girls die in order to pursue a career that's highly competitive and short-lasting (instead of just being normal, and finishing high school at least, or something), makes stupid starlets adopt it as the ideal of beauty, makes stupid teenagers wanna be "just like the girls they see in magazines or TV", and makes the naturally skinny girls have very offensive (sometimes hateful) comments directed towards them by people who pursue that ideal or people who believe that skinny equates to disease, since the number of sick girls is now sky high (since they join the ones who are actually sick for more plausible reasons).

Wanna know? I don't feel the least bit sorry for this chick because she had every fucking example of what not to do under her nose. Don't feel sorry for those who are weak-headed to the point of actually going to extremes to try to be something they'll never be. The media doesn't fuck up anyone. People get fucked up by the media because they don't have it in them not to be manipulated.

OCD

I dont feel very sad myself. Most of the girls that I know who claim to be anorexic in my opinion aren't. They just want attention for being tiny, or sick and its stupid.

The people I have known who are actually anorexic don't lay around and lament about it, or be sure everyone knows how little the eat.

This thin crap is getting really tiresome.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    The media doesn't fuck up anyone. People get fucked up by the media because they don't have it in them not to be manipulated.
    Amen.

More bleach for the gene pool
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Their family is soooo messed up. The dad should've tried to have this sister hospitalised or something, especially after the other sister died.
    I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and sky...

Silver Member

This is really sad. My thoughts are with her family

I see her agency tried the "Mary Kate Olsen" route of explaining things...the girl certainly couldn't have been anorexic, it was genes(or blonde hair ).

Her parents knew she was on a diet of lettuce and diet soda and chose not to step in even though they had a daughter die six months earlier from the same condition I blame the parents on this one.

This whole strive to be the thinnest is soooo last year. Can we get another trend going??
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

I blame the stupid bitches who killed themselves firstly. Nobody held a gun to their heads. They made the choice to start.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I blame the stupid bitches who killed themselves firstly. Nobody held a gun to their heads. They made the choice to start.
    That's true. I just know if I saw my child going down this path I would step in and TRY to help them. Especially if I already had one die from the same circumstances.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Way to go for the parents... They lose one daughter but don't notice the other one is heading down the same road. Parents of the year, these guys...

WTF is wrong with that family??? Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I'd like to first point out that I'm not flaming this statement...

I just would like to give my input...

Now, being in the modeling business is obviously very brutal at times. You are in a world where you practically have to be flawless in every way. You have to be skinny and tall with long legs and a long neck. You have to be able to emulate or set the bar for perfection and beauty...I mean that's a lot of pressure...(especially for an 18 year old...)

My point is...no one chooses to develop anorexia or any other eating disorder...(in psychological terms...like I'm talking about the ACTUAL illness...not just some girl not eating for a few days and claiming she's anorexic...)

Something usually triggers the ED to develop. Personally I've struggled with anorexia and I most certainly did not choose to starve myself...like I didn't just wake up one morning and go, 'Gee, I think I'll be anorexic today...' it started off as a diet and just happened out of nowhere one summer, literally. Neither I nor my friends and family even realized what was going on until it was too late. I mean at the time I didn't even realize I had anorexia...I thought everything was as is only I had control over something. Like I just didn't process at the time or put two and two together that me not eating and fearing food= anorexia. I had no idea. I just feared food and hated it. I didn't know why, I guess I was just so deeply in denial that I couldn't see anything clearly, everything about that time is still kind of fuzzy, but it was like I was seeing life through some kind of gauzy veil...it's a very scary, lonely and dark experience...at least in my case it was...

I mean, you can intentionally starve yourself solely to loose weight and not have 'anorexic tendencies' which would just basically be a crash diet or something. But anorexia is a psychological illness that kills, which is obviously proven once again in this poor girl's case...

I mean when I struggled with my ED it wasn't even about loosing weight, (at first it was- before the ED...I just wanted to lose a few before school started...) but after the ED set in, it become all about control and trying to obtain some kind of purity.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense I'm kind of rambling now but the thing is is that this girl obviously needed some kind of intervention and unfortunately she didn't get it. Probably having a lot to do with the profession she was in, since models are expected to be so thin I guess nobody felt the need to step in...either that or they were just deeply in denial...(which was the case with my family when I was sick...)

I mean I didn't ask to develop an ED...I didn't choose it...it just happened...

Sorry for the ramble, I just feel rather strongly about issues like this...

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

I am kind of torn. In one sense I can think that these stupid idiots deserve what they get..they only have themselves to blame...but then remembering my own problems with this, I can think well if they were clinically depressed and killed themselves would I still think that way? True anorexia is a clinical psychological disorder. But it remains that only the person with the disorder can really not only seek treatment, but follow through with it. People can make them aware(or try to)of what they are doing and that they need help, but it is up to them to receive the help and try to get better. In the end you cannot save someone from themself-only they can save themselves.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information