Thread: Gwen Stefani admits to her 'obsession with weight'

Default Gwen Stefani admits to her 'obsession with weight'

New mother Gwen Stefani has revealed the extraordinary lengths to which she went in order to shed her baby weight.

The singer kept up her gruelling exercise regime until two weeks before the birth of son Kingston.

And she regained her pre-pregnancy figure in just three months with the help of a personal trainer.

Stefani, 37, told Elle magazine: "I worked out with my trainer throughout the whole pregnancy until about two weeks before.

"I cried during my last session. I was like, 'I can't breathe, I can't do this any more. What am I doing?' It was crazy. All of my life I've had to work hard to stay in shape.

"I've always struggled with it. I was a little chubby when I was younger and I didn't want to be that person forever. I'm extremely vain - I like wearing cute clothes."

Kingston, her son by husband Gavin Rossdale, is now eight months old.

Stefani said of her mission to get thin again: "There aren't any tricks, it's simple maths - you put this much food in, you burn that much working out.

"I gave myself three months - but if I didn't have an album coming out, there's no way I would have got back into shape in that time.

"I worked out with my trainer five days a week, with weekends off. I would really recommend doing weights."

The former No Doubt star said the size zero trend "sucks". But she admitted to an obsession with her weight.

"Clearly, I spend time thinking about it and it's something I've had to deal with in my life. As I get older I try not to focus on it. It's boring, it's a waste of life.

"What I have learned is that whether I'm fatter or thinner, people seem not to mind, they like me either way. It's more in your own mind than anyone else's."

Stefani is the latest celebrity to slim down in super-quick time after having a baby. Victoria Beckham, Liz Hurley and Anna Friel all regained their figures within a few months of giving birth.
    Gwen Stefani admits to her 'obsession with weight' | the Daily Mail

Good for her for being upfront. And I can sort of sympathise with the obsession. I was on the round side as a teen, and I always feel I have to be extra-careful with my weight now.

This sounds honest and sincere. Not everyone is naturally skinny and has uber-fast metabolism. Good for her to get the truth out: It's hard work staying in shape. Well worth it, but hard work.
    Last edited by tiggle; February 5th, 2007 at 06:52 AM. Reason: typo

At least she's honest about it. I'm probably just as obsessive as she is. I like my body to be a certain way.

Plus bonus points for admitting that she worked out hard. As opposed to waiting 'til the child is a bit older and just saying .."oh the weight came off, all I do is run around after my kid, nothing else."

What I like: She admitted she was/is obsessive, went to extraordinary lengths and that it takes her effort to keep her size (and to get back to it after the baby).

If most of us non-celeb folks with babies had 3 months off with adequate childcare that would allow us to be able work out several hours a day for five+ days a week, have balanced, low-cal, tasty meals properly prepared for us to eat at the right intervals throughout the day AND were able to get 8 hrs a day of sleep (again, childcare...probably at least a temporary live in) then popping back into pre-baby shape at light speed might actually be do-able.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

oh I love this. I'm glad that she didnt feel the need to shield it. Thank-god, finally some honesty!!
    "Don't think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look fuckable will help. Remember your in a rock and roll band. It's not "Fuck Me", It's "Fuck You!"
    Chrissie Hynde

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    If most of us non-celeb folks with babies had 3 months off with adequate childcare that would allow us to be able work out several hours a day for five+ days a week, have balanced, low-cal, tasty meals properly prepared for us to eat at the right intervals throughout the day AND were able to get 8 hrs a day of sleep (again, childcare...probably at least a temporary live in) then popping back into pre-baby shape at light speed might actually be do-able.
    So true. Not to dis Gwen, but I'm sure we could all do what she's done if we had the same resources.

I see what she means; its hard to look a certain way, and thats what everyone expects you to keep looking like, and when you start to look different, they're like, "Oh my god, what happened". Its not good, trust me. When you're a celebrity and you've got half the world thinking that, its got to be pressure.

However she looks she is fab.

She looked lovely when she was pregnant, and awesome now.

It's good to have someone admit they have to work damn hard to look so good. So many women say they eat like horses...yea right!

I love her cause she seems to keep it real. And she doesn't trot out the usual bs that other celebs do. she awknowledges how hard it is . . . she says what a sacrifice it is.

She looks stunning. Wish I had a tenth of her motivation. I have no baby and am still not in good shape, LOL!

I agree it's easier with Gwen's resources but you still need that inner drive to do it. We all know celebs are AREN'T in good shape despite all their money with/without kids.

At least she's telling us what's really on her mind.

Thread Information