Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gisele Bundchen blames families for anorexia

Default Gisele Bundchen blames families for anorexia

Supermodel Gisele Bundchen says troubled families are to blame for anorexia — not the fashion industry, which has been widely criticized for promoting waifish silhouettes.

“I never suffered from this problem (anorexia), because I had a very strong family base. Parents are responsible, not the fashion industry,” Bundchen said in the Friday edition of O Globo newspaper.

Bundchen, 26, was visiting her native Brazil this week for the Fashion Rio show, which has banned models who are under 16 and has required proof of good health after the death of a Brazilian model from complications due to starvation last year.
    In September, Spain barred models below a certain weight from Madrid fashion shows, while the Italian government and its fashion chiefs signed a pact to keep sickly thin girls off the catwalk.

Bundchen, the former girlfriend of actor Leonardo DiCaprio, said being a model is a matter of genetics.

“Everybody knows that the norm in fashion is thin,” she said. “But excuse me, there are people born with the right genes for this profession.”

Bundchen, who was ranked 16th on Forbes magazine’s list of the 20 richest women in entertainment this week, said as a child her peers teased her for being skinny with names like Olive Oyl, the gangly character from the Popeye cartoons.

“In fashion I felt accepted ... I never felt lonely, because I always relied on my family.”

source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16710684/
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

That only proves models are truly stupid. Families fault?! That's your fucking fault. Yours and the whole fashion industry. I bet if there were rounded models on the catwalk, girls with anorexia wouldn't be such a common thing.

But excuse me...NO parents are not to blame you complete cretin

Elite Member

oh now this just pisses me off. My family have done nothing but be supportive and helpfull during my recovery. I wouldnt want them to be so apart of it if I didnt trust them completely.

Its not wholely the fashion Industry though. it is a mental illness, a personality trait, that goes hand in hand with obsessive compulsive disorder and any addiction. That said, if the fashion industry wasnt as it is now, with curvier more natural women then society wouldnt breed body dysmorphia. At my worst, I could flip through ANY magazine aimed at women including the health and fitness mags, and find 'logical' and 'justifiable' reasons for looking the way I did/do.
    "Don't think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look fuckable will help. Remember your in a rock and roll band. It's not "Fuck Me", It's "Fuck You!"
    Chrissie Hynde

It might be the family if they are critical of the girls weight... but most people I know who've suffered with eating disorders were influenced by skinny celebrities.

Silver Member

My bout with bulimia was wholly do to body dysmorphia/self loathing/shame cycle/self esteem issues. HOWEVER any time I needed any " inspiration" to abuse my body...there it was.
    I dare you to go stand in a supermarket line and not see any magazines with the words thin, skinny, diet or very slender people on the covers.
    It's like being an alcoholic and the entire world is yelling " Drink up! Drunk is great! If you are drunk people will love you!"
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

Bronze Member

I agree with Gisele. She's just trying to say that when girls put their family values under their desire of being models they can choose.

I can understand where she is coming from. She gets a lot of flack for being in an industry which supposidly promotes eating disorders. I can see how she'd want to justify what she is doing.
    A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

giselle is a fucking bitch, everytime i see her give an interview on tv she comes across as a rude, obnoxious moron

i see print articles are no different

Actually I'm not saying this is ALWAYS the case...but in a way I kind of agree with Gisele...

When I was a teenager, starting at about 16...I struggled on and off with very serious bouts of both anorexia and bulimia for years and still do...(I didn't realize it AT the time...but the underlying issues of my ED had a lot to do with a lot of family problems...I was worried about a certain family member...and was just watching my family deteriorate right before my eyes...I felt lost and had no one to turn to...I was losing control of everything in my life and that's when my ED began...)

But it's not like my family wasn't supportive...they were in denial and no one confronted me until it was too late...

I'm not saying anything like 'Oh if you have a sucky family life you will most likely develop an eating disorder!'

No...I'm just saying that it seems in a lot of eating disorder cases the sufferer has come from a dysfunctional family or has experienced trauma of some kind...whether it be abuse, rape, etc...

But not ALWAYS...so don't get the wrong idea please...

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

Gold Member

Some biatches look better with their mouths closed!!!!!! You can have all the solid support of a family all day long but when your 14 STILL developing, looking at all these "gazelles" if you will getting all the jobs, making all the money hell your going to want to look like them. That goes for those who are 20ish as well! If your constantly going to go sees and being told your fycking fluffy over and over that's gonna fyck with a females brain. THATS JUST A FEMALE TRAIT BELIEVE IT OR NOT. AND as far as G. Bundchen is concerned she can shut that shyt, she's 26 a mere elder in the modeling biz her reign is about up. This chick shows off for the cam, but if I did Pilates all fycking day and ate O carbs I'd look like that too. Her eating burgers and shyt is just for the camera!

Gold Member

In that same breath I don't want to see some size 10/12 above or as some would say "average" woman wearing my Dior or Chanel couture either. I love going to fashion shows and I prefer skinny models, they simply look better in Haute Couture.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyJenny86 View Post
    Actually I'm not saying this is ALWAYS the case...but in a way I kind of agree with Gisele...

When I was a teenager, starting at about 16...I struggled on and off with very serious bouts of both anorexia and bulimia for years and still do...(I didn't realize it AT the time...but the underlying issues of my ED had a lot to do with a lot of family problems...I was worried about a certain family member...and was just watching my family deteriorate right before my eyes...I felt lost and had no one to turn to...I was losing control of everything in my life and that's when my ED began...)

But it's not like my family wasn't supportive...they were in denial and no one confronted me until it was too late...

I'm not saying anything like 'Oh if you have a sucky family life you will most likely develop an eating disorder!'

No...I'm just saying that it seems in a lot of eating disorder cases the sufferer has come from a dysfunctional family or has experienced trauma of some kind...whether it be abuse, rape, etc...

But not ALWAYS...so don't get the wrong idea please...
    Thank you for posting this! I totally agree. When I suffered family trauma, my weight ballooned. It leveled off, but I was still big. Then about 6yrs later, I ended a really bad relationship and developed an ED, mainly exercising and doing a lot of coke. so, i think it can go either way with EDs-you can binge, or not eat, or in my case, find bad ways to lose weight.

Didn't Giselle get criticized because she had more curves than most of the other models? She doesn't look nearly as thin or unhealthy as the majority of them do. Same thing goes for Naomi Campbell and Tyra Banks. Curvy and fit is sexy. Not flat and scrawny, unless you're meant to be that way.
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I agree. It seems that many parents these days like to point the finger at the music, the movies, the models, and everything else except themselves and the examples they set. It's much easier to blame 'society' which is this sort of nameless, faceless entity that we can't really contain. When you look at how many kids come from broken homes, if their parents were ever together to begin with, and the lifestyles many parents lead, it doesn't surprise me at all. No, it isn't all parents. But many girls are growing up with moms who are distracted by their own relationship dramas with their men of the month, many of whom are 'living with' the mom and her kids, not to mention the dads who are involved in capturing their latest piece of ass, all while working 60 hours a week. It seems kids are left unattended with the media(TV, movies, magazines) instead of real face time with their parents. That and too many parent sare afraid of confronting their kids about their behaviors such as eating, sex, alcohol/drug use, because gawd forbid Kaylee doesn't want to be your best friend anymore. There are parents who criticize their daughters for eating that biscuit, letting them know no one will want to date a fatty and teasing kids about being chubby when they are young. I've been in the counseling field too long to ignore a lot of what I've seen over and over. The pressure to overextend yourself and to overachieve is also correlated with eating disorders and we know that girls are more likely than boys to turn their negative emotions inward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information