Thread: Skinny or not, celebrity women are still women

Default Skinny or not, celebrity women are still women

Over the past year, celebrities have gotten skinnier and skinnier. Everyone has noticed and talked about it ad infinitum, but whatís the point? The rest of us are still just as hefty as ever even the slimmest among us. Few are as tiny as Nicole Richie who, at her arrest for drunk driving, weighed in at 85 pounds and measured 5 feet 1 inches. And Victoria Beckham is apparently a size 00 - DOUBLE zero.
    Last week, Diane von Furstenberg, the president of the Council of Fashion Designers of America, sent a letter to members:
    Öas designers, we cannot ignore the impact fashion has on body image. We share a responsibility to protect women, and very young girls in particular, within the industry, sending the message that health is beauty.
    September Fashion week in Madrid limited participation in shows to models who were above a BMI of 18. and Italian fashion trade group, the Camera Nazionale della Moda, is set to follow in February.
    All this attention isnít necessarily a bad thing, but I wonder how much of it is really going to impact the majority of people worldwide. Certainly, it may influence the millions of people affected with anorexia nervosa and associated disorders. For most people, however, there are far more important concerns than the size of celebrities and models. What about African women dying of AIDS, others dying of heart disease and cancer, and the many women suffering domestic abuse?

Iím glad fashionistas are trying to encourage a healthy body image in their industry. Letís not forget, however, that health is more than just weight and height. Healthy minds, healthy hearts, and healthy all around lifestyle are critical for every woman and girl whether or not they look to the stars for guidance. And I hope there are plenty of normal, everyday, happy people who surround all women with unconditional love because I think thatís what these celebs really need.
    http://www.livelywomen.com/2006/12/1...e-still-women/

Elite Member

I've seen more really thin women here in my home city in the last 6 months than ever before. I think most people are at the extremes. Either 30+ lb. overweight or super skinny. When I've been shopping I've heard more women asking for a size 0 than ever before. I saw this chick at the mall the other day who was so narrow when she turned sideways I wondered out loud how her organs can all fit in there.

^^^
    IAWTC hotncmom...

When I went to the mall Christmas shopping, I couldn't help but just look at the teenage girls and how thin they are now. I just kept thinking, damn...we were NOT that skinny back then.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    I've seen more really thin women here in my home city in the last 6 months than ever before. I think most people are at the extremes. Either 30+ lb. overweight or super skinny. When I've been shopping I've heard more women asking for a size 0 than ever before. I saw this chick at the mall the other day who was so narrow when she turned sideways I wondered out loud how her organs can all fit in there.
    Yeah, I completey agree with this. I think the world has gotten wacko about weight: either obese or underweight. It's like the world is slowly forgetting what normal is.

I live in Los Angeles, and am visiting family in the South for the holidays. And its just those two extremes: in LA, as a size 6, I am fat. In the Southern states, as a size 6, I'm perfect, maybe a bit thin to many.

Its weird. Something has to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Calimoonchild View Post
    Yeah, I completey agree with this. I think the world has gotten wacko about weight: either obese or underweight. It's like the world is slowly forgetting what normal is.

I live in Los Angeles, and am visiting family in the South for the holidays. And its just those two extremes: in LA, as a size 6, I am fat. In the Southern states, as a size 6, I'm perfect, maybe a bit thin to many.

Its weird. Something has to change.
    Cali, just to say...a size 6 is my DREAM size! I cannot believe that is considered fat in LA...very sad. Are most of the girls 0's & 2's?

So disturbing...
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Thumbs down

This year I saw an anorexic woman for the first time her bones were protruding out and she looked sucken in.I said to my friend maybe she is recovering from some illness she may not have an eating disorder but my friend pointed out to me she had a tan.

I dont understand why people focus so much on celebrity weight.
    Just look at this website you have to register first to enter but look under its photo thread it is so sad.

http://deadfaerie69.conforums.com/

All this talk about celebrities weight reflects an obsession with size that's typically American - I can't recall any article about actresses' weight in France

Quote Originally Posted by prnjcq7 View Post
    Cali, just to say...a size 6 is my DREAM size! I cannot believe that is considered fat in LA...very sad. Are most of the girls 0's & 2's?

So disturbing...
    Goodness! I couldn't even dream of being a size 6! But at least I know why I get stared at when I'm in LA! I have curves!

Thread Information