Thread: Italy moves to stop ultra-skinny models

Elite Member

Default Italy moves to stop ultra-skinny models

ROME (Reuters) - Italy's government and its fashion chiefs are working on a manifesto to crack down on the use of ultra-thin teenagers on the catwalk, as pressure grows on the fashion world to promote healthier looks.
    After Spain barred models below a certain weight from a Madrid fashion show in September, industry leaders in Argentina and now Brazil have joined a campaign to ensure models are over 16 years old and are not excessively thin.
    Powerful Milan fashion houses first resisted calls to copy the Spanish regulations, with Italian National Fashion Chamber head Mario Boselli saying in September that only "maybe one girl in a hundred" could be defined as too skinny.
    But after Boselli, whose lobby represents big names like Armani, Versace and Prada, met Italian Youth Minister Giovanna Melandri this week, he agreed to work with the ministry on a self regulatory code of good practice.
    "Italy has an important strategic role in world fashion so we have to send a strong signal," said Flaminia Spadone, an aide to the minister.
    The manifesto will be launched before the Milan women's fashion week in February, a major event in the catwalk calendar.
    "We'd like fashion houses, modelling agencies, photographers and everyone working in the fashion world to sign the charter," she said. "It would be voluntary but professional bodies could decide to impose sanctions on people who don't sign, preventing them from taking part in fashion shows."
    Boselli told Reuters the charter might require women to undergo medical checks for body weight, though it would also take into account factors like genetic influences on weight.
    ULTRA-SLIM LOOK
    The use of underweight models promoting the ultra-slim look has held sway in much of world fashion since the 1990s, and was epitomised by supermodel Kate Moss.
    But it has come into sharp critical focus since the death of Brazilian model Ana Carolina Resto last month from complications derived from the slimming disease anorexia. There are calls for a return to the slim but more curvaceous models of the 1980s, like Cindy Crawford and Claudia Schiffer.
    "We won't have a specific limit on body mass index as they do in Spain," said Boselli.
    But Spadone said the ministry would ideally like to follow the Spanish example and impose a limit on the body mass index, which takes into account the model's height versus weight.
    She said models who came under 18.5 on the index -- the World Health Organisation's definition of underweight -- should be banned from working for the sake of their own health.
    "In the Third World, if someone has an index of less than 18.5, they send in humanitarian aide," she said.

Source

I wont hold my breath, but it does appear that things might be changing in the world finally when it comes to womens bodies.
    "Don't think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look fuckable will help. Remember your in a rock and roll band. It's not "Fuck Me", It's "Fuck You!"
    Chrissie Hynde

That's a positive step-no matter how small, any move to shift attitudes is a good thing.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Sure they are going to start making changes. I remember hearing about this back in the early nineties. I don't see anything has changed. Those models will always kill themselve to be thin and gross, slimmy looking.. Looking like a skeletor, isn't beautiful

It never worried me, they look atrocious. I've always thought of catwalk models as coathangers.

It's about time!!!!!!!!
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Yea good luck with that. I'll believe it when I see it.

What will actually happen:

Pissy reactionary designer will send out obese chicks with fat rolls hanging out of lingerie that even a slim but not model-thin woman would feel insecure in (AGAIN).

For one or two very publicized shows they will send out models who skate the very edge of underweight but look *big* by comparison to the current ones who look like they should have a nurse following them with an IV pole and a crash cart. And maybe even take the ridiculousness further like bragging about how their 6 FT TALL models are now size 4's, not 0's and 00's!
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Bronze Member

BMI of 18.5 is a little big for models. BMI 17 or possibly 16.5 (depending on age) is still healthy.

I disagree. A BMI of 18.5 on a 6 ft woman is pretty thin. I don't think it's asking much for a 6ft tall female...even if she's a model...to be at least 136.5 pounds. (http://www.whathealth.com/bmi/calculator.html)

And if they actually ate food and worked out to keep thin, that same weight would look even smaller on them than 136.5 already does on someone that height!

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

They should get models who are fit and athletic... not boneracks without an ounce of muscle tissue who wouldn't be able to open a door, and not huge muscly bulky women that the clothes would fit weirdly on.

Fit and toned, people.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I agree. And even if she works out like a demon, there's practically no chance a woman the height of your average model is going to be *heavily muscled* if her BMI is 18.5. Since muscle weighs more and is going to up the BMI number you'd think these models would jump on it and start lifting weights.

Far from model type body here, but a couple years after I first started lifting I actually wore a smaller size than previously, which was pretty amazing since I was about 12-15# heavier! If a shorty like me can make that kind of transformation (10+ extra # and a size drop) then it should be a cakewalk for a tall thin broad.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    They should get models who are fit and athletic... not boneracks without an ounce of muscle tissue who wouldn't be able to open a door, and not huge muscly bulky women that the clothes would fit weirdly on.

Fit and toned, people.
    Totally agree.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

The fashion industry has been promising to change things since it came into being. I don't believe a word of it.

Not only the fashion industry, but Hollywood as well. I was always a stick my whole life and recently have gained weight. I'm 5 ft 9 in and 125 pounds. I hate watching movies or tv because I feel like a cow. It's horrible. How are we supposed to live up to these standards?

Thread Information