Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twiggy thinks actresses are too skinny

Default Twiggy thinks actresses are too skinny

Twiggy lashes out at 'size zero' actresses

By LOUISA BARNETT,
    Mail on Sunday
    19th November 2006

Now even Twiggy is hitting out at the 'size zero' craze.
    Her name was once a byword for super-skinny models. Yet Twiggy says she is 'terrified' by the new so-called 'size zero' trend - and she puts the blame on Hollywood actresses.
    The Sixties icon, who picked up her nickname for her waif-like figure, says actresses, not models, are responsible for the growing trend of extreme diets.

Hollywood stars such as Lindsay Lohan and Mischa Barton have attracted attention for their near-skeletal appearance, and anorexia campaigners fear teenage girls will harm themselves trying to copy their look.

Twiggy, whose real name is Lesley Hornby, said: "They go on about banning size zero, but I think Hollywood stars are the worst perpetrators. Most models are naturally long and gangly, while a lot of these young girls in Hollywood have gone on extreme diets.

"Their concave chests and bony arms are terrifying. It's scary to think that normal teenagers are tempted to copy them. I'd love there to be more larger models, but it's just not going to happen. Designers love to design for slim girls."

Her comments come after the deaths of two young women led to calls for size zero models to be outlawed.

Last week, 21-year-old Brazilian catwalk star Ana Carolina Reston died of anorexia after eating a diet of apples and tomatoes. She was 5ft 8in but weighed just 6st.

In August, Uruguayan model Luisel Ramos suffered heart failure after reportedly consuming only lettuce and diet drinks. Her death led to the Spanish government barring models with a body mass index of 18 or under - officially classified as underweight - from Madrid Fashion Week.

Ironically, Twiggy was one of the first models blamed for eating disorders in young women when she burst on to the fashion scene aged 16 in the Sixties.

"I was very skinny, but that was just my natural build,' she said. "I always ate sensibly - being thin was in my genes."

The fashion icon, a judge on Living TV show Britain's Next Top Model, has recently returned to the industry, becoming the face of a multi-million-pound advertising campaign for Marks & Spencer.

source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770
    So she 'ate sensibly' and was 'naturally' skinny? Now why does that tune sound familiar, I wonder?

The deaths of these poor girls really should make the fashion industry sit up and take a look at themselves. At least twiggy is a decent size now, she looks brilliant for her age, really healthy.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

A*O

Actually, I think Twiggy was a 'freak' when she shot to fame in the 1960s. She was a naturally skinny kid (hence the name). She probably smoked and perhaps did drugs a bit, but I highly doubt she had an eating disorder because in those days models had hips and tits and looked like women. That's why she caused such a sensation because she looked so different.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

It seems odd for her to even be saying this considering it was her bodytype that influenced generations of designers and models.

Most models are naturally long and gangly, while a lot of these young girls in Hollywood have gone on extreme diets.

Sounds like Twiggy hasn't been to a catwalk show in a while.

Elite Member

She has a point, though. She was very skinny and she was the model who popularized that body type, sure, but she never looked like she was starving. None of them did, back then; I'm sure models and other women did suffer from eating disorders then too, but it wasn't perceived as pretty, the way it is today in some circles. The ones who started to look unhealthy didn't get hired, because it just wasn't attractive. Today, there's a fascination with it and even visibly ill girls still get to work.

Twiggy looked like a skinny, long-legged and flat-chested chick with a fast metabolism who watched what she ate - not an anorectic.

She was a novelty back in the 60's. Shame that that has become the norm.

Think she looks WAY too skinny in this picture! If it wasn't such an iconic face this could be a recent photo, not from 1968.

Lil

I think thinness is OK when women are naturally skinny, like Twiggy was when she was young. I think the problem comes when people try to be very skinny when nature is telling their body to be otherwise - either people whose natural body type is not skinny in the first place, or when people try to remain very skinny as they grow older when their body is trying to fill out.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Silver Member

You can totally tell the difference between naturally skinny and starved. My mom was a size 00 until she had her second child...However, she looked tiny not starved. Nothing was concave or bony. She even had some jiggle ti her thighs.
    HOWEVER that naturally thin is not a very large percentage of the population. I am just so sick of the Bullshit. Just say you freaking starve yourself already and stop trying to sell something to people who can never acheive that the healthy way.
    Once we get over this weight bullshit things will be better all around. There was recently a study that says over weight people who were shown these images were actually MORE likely to binge and quit dieting and other weight loss regimes.
    I ONLY started losing weight and getting a healthy BMI and waist size when I gave up on being the IDEAL and strove for healthy.
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

Twiggy cant be blamed for eating disorders, she was naturally skinny, and at the time it was a weird body shape to have since women were curvy and thats what defined beauty at the time. Twiggy always looked young in her modelling days, and its worked for her now because she looks amazing.

Hit By Ban Bus!

i was naturally very very thin when i was a teen, of course everyone thought i had an eating disorder. boy were they suprised after i had two kids and gained alot of weight. now im overweight but i wonder, is that natural for me? maybe i am meant to be skinny still. i don't know. i don't think it's right for women to starve themselves to be thin when they are meant to be a higher weight. but then i wonder if it works the other way around too? the only thing is that i would have to diet to lose weight. is that healthy? or should i let my body settle where it is by how hungry i feel. it's so confusing.

Elite Member

Twiggy always looked young in her modelling days
    That's because she started at 16 and quit at 19, and that's what her 60's-era body looks like, to me; a late bloomer who hasn't grown proper hips and boobs yet. She still looks great, and she has a grown woman's body now.

I had a naturally tall and skinny friend in school whose body looked just like that; she had mosquito-bite breasts and didn't get her period until she was 16 or 17, and to her, at that time, it was probably devastating. I know for sure that she wasn't happy with it, but it was totally genetic; both her parents were over 6 feet tall and skinny.
    Twiggy's body wasn't an adult, fully developed body, neither are those of most of today's models, and that's what we grown women are trying to mould ourselves after; the bodies of girls in their puberty. It's insane when you start thinking about it, and I think it's useless to expect the models to take any responsibility for that; most of them are under age, plenty of them are under 15. They're just clotheshangers, in it for the money and the glamour or because they don't know any better. The business should be taking more responsibility for them, but sadly it doesn't, and I think the few girls who could take that responsibility turn down modeling jobs - my man's sister has been "scouted" by serious, well-known modeling agencies a couple of times, but she dislikes the business and the ideals, so says no.

I agree with Twiggy!Actresses are more responsible because they play in movies and people are more interested in them than in models and get photographed and they are on tv all the time ...

Bronze Member

I had a naturally tall and skinny friend in school whose body looked just like that; she had mosquito-bite breasts and didn't get her period until she was 16 or 17, and to her, at that time, it was probably devastating. I know for sure that she wasn't happy with it, but it was totally genetic; both her parents were over 6 feet tall and skinny.
    Yeah, I was just like that at school, (except I got my period at 12) I suddenly shot up to 5'8 at 13 and stayed at 85lb. No girl would be friends with me because I was so skinny. I wished I was dead. Yes, it was DEVASTATING.

I'm now 24 and 102lb. When is this so called adult womanly body going to come? People think I'm 12 from behind then get a shock when they see my twentysomething face. My weight peaked at 15 at 108lb. I eat EXACTLY what everyone else eats- About 2000cals per day. I've been abnormally thin without any known medical cause since I was born.

I'm still pretty insecure about my weight, and it makes me very sad to see how much everyone hates skinny girls on this forum.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by OMGtooskinny View Post
    Yeah, I was just like that at school, (except I got my period at 12) I suddenly shot up to 5'8 at 13 and stayed at 85lb. No girl would be friends with me because I was so skinny. I wished I was dead. Yes, it was DEVASTATING.

I'm now 24 and 102lb. When is this so called adult womanly body going to come? People think I'm 12 from behind then get a shock when they see my twentysomething face. My weight peaked at 15 at 108lb. I eat EXACTLY what everyone else eats- About 2000cals per day. I've been abnormally thin without any known medical cause since I was born.

I'm still pretty insecure about my weight, and it makes me very sad to see how much everyone hates skinny girls on this forum.
    I'm sorry you are insecure about it. Just embrace it and be happy for being naturally skinny. At least you don't have to go through all the work that the "fat is beautiful" people have to go through to lose the extra weight. I used to be teased about "looking 12" by other women, and guess what? The same girls (who were not overweight), were dieting the crap out of themselves to be skinny. Men, on the other hand, had a completely different opinion. I grew tired of deffending the skinny here. Real women can be thin and shapely. It seems, to some here, that curves = fat rolls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information