Thread: Kate Winslet: I was teased about my weight

Default Kate Winslet: I was teased about my weight

Quote Originally Posted by SuperHeroTights View Post
    http://people.aol.com/people/article...553654,00.html

He was 28 and she was 15? WTF? isn't that rape?
    I think legal cosent in UK is 16.

That's a really nice story - why would this be the one thing to focus on?

He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Default Kate Winslet: I Was Teased About My Weight

As an overweight teen in England, Kate Winslet says, "I was shy. I was vulnerable."

The other kids called her "blubber," she tells Parade in its upcoming issue. "Other girls teased me terribly. I was bullied, I would just put my head down and get on with it. This was my means of survival."

But when she was 15, she reveals for the first time, she met her first love: 28-year-old television actor and writer Stephen Tredre.

"Stephen made me feel secure and embraced," says the Little Children actress, 31, who now lives in Manhattan with her husband, director Sam Mendes, 41, and kids Mia, 6, and Joe, 2.

"Stephen was very inspiring," Winslet says. "He had this extraordinary zest for life. My life revolved around him."

By 16, Winslet had dropped out of high school and was working in a deli when she landed her first film role: the lead in 1994's Peter Jackson-directed Heavenly Creatures.

But shortly before Winslet began filming 1995's Sense and Sensibility, Tredre was diagnosed with bone cancer.

"There was no point to his suffering. No rhyme or reason to it," she says. "When Stephen had gotten better and his cancer was in remission, we broke up. I don't know why. I was so young, when I look back on it. Only 19. How could I have left a person who was so unwell? I thought Stephen was going to be all right."

After their split, "He got ill again. Stephen and I talked every day. This was not somebody I'd turn my back on."

Tredre died in 1997, the week Titanic opened. Winslet missed the movie's Los Angeles premiere to be at his funeral.

"Looking back," she says, "I see what I was dealing with when Titanic came out. I had a lot of pain, and I was confused about who I was."
    http://people.aol.com/people/article...553654,00.html

He was 28 and she was 15? WTF? isn't that rape?

Even if it wasn't rape, it sure is dodgy and creepy.

That woman annoys the hell out of me!

All she ever does is whine about her weight and how the outside world discriminates her because of it.

We got it, we got it. you're normal, you have insecurities, you're like us. Now stop the whining.

^ ITA. I mean I think she's a great actress and everything but she doesn't have to talk about her weight in every goddamn interview.

That's probably because everyone always asks her about it.. they make it seem like she's a freak occurence... a successful actress who isn't size 0.

So she probably just heads them off at the pass.
    I've always known I was born to dominate your sex and avenge my own.

Elite Member

Kate Winslett hasn't been overweight in years. She lost a lot of weight and has kept it off for a long time...so I don't know why she keeps talking about weight and how she hasn't given into the pressure when she obviously has...she is THIN, nowwhere near 'thick' or 'big boned' at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
    Kate Winslett hasn't been overweight in years. She lost a lot of weight and has kept it off for a long time...so I don't know why she keeps talking about weight and how she hasn't given into the pressure when she obviously has...she is THIN, nowwhere near 'thick' or 'big boned' at all.
    Could be worse, though. Imagine, say, Mischa Barton, complaining about skinny celebrities.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
    I agree, she needs to shut up about this already.

Quote Originally Posted by shaki80 View Post
    ^ ITA. I mean I think she's a great actress and everything but she doesn't have to talk about her weight in every goddamn interview.

Word. I was teased bout my fatness as a kid too, but I don't talk about it and think i'm any more special or brave or courageous because of it. These celebutards need to get off their "i was a victim and deserve your sympathy too" soap box.

KIds get teased for being thin (I'm not talking anerxic but I'm sure they are teased) short, tall, wearing glasses, color of there hair, color of their skin, big feet, the list goes on and on. Happens to everyone, sad as it is. Get over it Kate, we know you look good now.
    Last edited by B.C.; November 14th, 2006 at 07:47 PM.

All this chick EVER talks about is being teased about her weight...grrrr..enough...shes about 100years old and what movie has she even been in since titanic?

Angry What a hypocrite.

She is obviously not that ashamed of her weight since she strips in almost every movie she is in . She, like every other celebrity is a hypocrite. She also protects her kids from these things by not having any magazines (like the ones she poses for) in her house. Protecting her kids from low self esteem and letting everyone elses kids get it by letting them see her in the same magazines. I have no respect for her because of this.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by chavah81 View Post
    She is obviously not that ashamed of her weight since she strips in almost every movie she is in . She, like every other celebrity is a hypocrite. She also protects her kids from these things by not having any magazines (like the ones she poses for) in her house. Protecting her kids from low self esteem and letting everyone elses kids get it by letting them see her in the same magazines. I have no respect for her because of this.
    Huh? Since when is every celebrity a hypocrite?
    I like Kate. I don't know why, but she seems softer and more likeable next to Miss "I'm perfect; that's why Justin loves me so much" Diaz.
    LHRB

Thread Information