Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: The Keto Diet

Default The Keto Diet

I hope this is the right place for this!

I have numerous friends and a cousin who are encouraging me (really hard) to do this diet. I just can't handle an instant ban on sugar, etc. Has anyone tried this diet and how has it worked for you? How hard was it to rid your body of all the toxic shit and how does it make you feel? Were you able to gradually cut out the bad things or is it an all or nothing kind of thing?

I have PCOS, which sucks, but the worse part is the excessive belly fat. I've gained some weight from stress eating the past two years and it amazes me that any weight goes straight to my belly and boobs, of all things.

I know someone that has lost over 100lb on this diet and he looks AH-MAZING. His transformation photos should be part of keto ads. His kids are about 9 and 11yo and each one fit in a pant leg to his old jeans. But he's been at this for almost two years.

Also, bonus question ... I went to an enormous Barnes and Noble the other day and couldn't find a single book about meal prep in advance. Anybody have a good one they like?
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

I have a friend who does it and she swears by Thomas DeLauer, the guy has a youtube channel with plenty of videos where he explains basically everything you need to know.
    I'm not on that diet (too difficult for vegans and I'm not interested anyway )
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I'm so glad you made this thread, Nevan. There are a few of us doing keto and we've been talking about it in the Weight Loss Plans thread.

I've watched tons of Thomas DeLauer videos. He really seems to know his stuff. But he doesn't do dairy for the most part. I do! There are several good Youtube channels out there for recipes. I just made cauliflower mac and cheese yesterday and Sunday I made some keto tortillas.

I am loving keto so far and life without sugar and starch has been just fine. My belly has gone way down. I am so excited about that. I have a waist again.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

What's the difference between Keto and say Atkins? Or the South Beach Diet? Both of which are no sugar and starch, cut them carbs out! Atkins allows more fat than South Beach but otherwise, it's all the same song, no?
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Keto is 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs. I'd say the difference is keto is higher fat.
    CornFlakegrl and Sonia like this.

Hmm, that's interesting. I know for a fact from previous experiences, and I'm talking strictly about my messed up body, that a very high protein/low carb diet works for me so well. I never tried the Atkins diet, per say, but have eaten that way generally that works for me. I know a few people that had great success with Atkins, but they were eating high end cuts of beef every night (while I was eating grilled or rotisserie chicken) ... that's gotta be fatty, right? Important to note that all the Atkins weight loss was gained back quickly after quitting or loosening the grip on Atkins. But doesn't keto claim there are even more health benefits than just losing weight with their diet?
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

I’ve lost 50 pounds in the last 8 months doing fairly lazy Keto (not counting calories/macros much after the first month or so). In general, I shoot for 20 or fewer grams net carbs (carbs minus fiber) and at least 100 grams of protein. I make up the rest of my calories with fat, usually between 85 and 110 grams per day, but sometimes higher. For me, the key is keeping protein relatively high and not going too far overboard on the fat. I’ve found I can’t do nuts at all (they give me moon face), and I can tolerate a moderate amount of dairy. I salt to taste and make sure to eat at least one high-potassium food every day; I occasionally supplement with magnesium malate at the low end of the dosage on the bottle. I’ve found the Facebook group “LCHF-low carb high fat” to be a good source of information.

I’m wearing clothes I haven’t worn in years, I no longer get winded walking up stairs, I'm getting my curves back, and I no longer struggle with any food cravings at all. It’s been incredibly freeing for me. If you do it, I recommend jumping in with both feet but pay attention to your electrolytes (primarily sodium, magnesium and potassium) while you get used to it. That can make all the difference between feeling like hell when you cut out sugar and really not noticing any discomfort at all.

I've heard that even too high a level of protein can knock you out of ketosis, (and I think I've had this happen a time or two since going on it) hence the reason that this diet isn't high protein. More low-moderate. It can be tricky.

My average breakdown percentages:

Carbs 5-8% (or about 20-25g)
    Fat 68-80% (or about 100g)
    Protein 12-18% (or about 80g)

If I were exercising hard I might be able to ease up on that (like take in more total carbs but keep the net carbs at 20 or less) but this works for me so far.

I eat about twice a day, not counting my am coffee with heavy whipping cream. And if you're going to make those percentages then you need at least one good source of healthy fat (like an avocado), or grill your steak in butter.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I'm drinking Jim Beam Red Stag. Its on the keto diet.... right? right? right?

say yes.... please
    BrickHouse likes this.

Vodka is the one I know for sure is okay.
    darksithbunny and stella blue like this.

Keto I would love to try, but I have been on Paleo, and my God I lost a lot of weight on that. So much, I think rapid weight loss was wreaking havoc on my body. I think I lost over ten kilos in one month.

As seductive as the idea of more loss is, I think more than 2-3lbs a week would not be good for me. I've been getting about that on a modified (I go lighter on the cheese than most recipes) Keto

Paleo is how ExMrD lost about 100#.

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigeress View Post
    I'm drinking Jim Beam Red Stag. Its on the keto diet.... right? right? right?

say yes.... please
    Ha! I do enjoy some Four Roses or Basil Hayden’s once every few weeks and haven’t had any issues.

I'm at a point where I'm really longing for a good cheat day. Or even just one meal. Or even just a dessert. I'm too afraid to do it though. I'm still not where I want to be and the loss is slow but steady. I've had some week long plateaus after which I'll drop 2-3lbs in a couple days, but it's been pretty much 2-3 lb a week. And I'm scared of cheating possibly fucking that up and resulting in a plateau or a setback (i.e. gain) that lasted longer than a week.

If I were on a regular exercise routine I'd probably be less worried but I have not gotten there yet because of this damned job. I'm so tired when I get home I don't even want to leave the house. It's hot as hell outside and since we are short-handed I'm out in the field some right now and it's kicking my ass.

A*O

Another bonus on low carb/high protein diets - which all of these “named” diets basically are - is how effective they are for blood glucose control for T2 diabetics.
    sprynkles likes this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information