Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Oprah buys 10% of Weight Watchers

Default Oprah buys 10% of Weight Watchers

Oprah buys 10% of Weight Watchers, stock soars

Nathan Bomey, USA TODAY 8:34 a.m. EDT October 19, 2015

(Photo: Todd Williamson, WireImage)

Billionaire media mogul Oprah Winfrey has acquired a 10% stake in Weight Watchers International, sending the dieting company's stock soaring Monday.
    Winfrey, who is also getting options to acquire an additional 5% stake, is joining the Weight Watchers board after a positive personal experience with the company's weight-loss program.

Weight Watchers (WTW) concurrently announced an expansion of its brand beyond a pure focus on weight loss to a general emphasis on healthier, happier living.
    Investors flocked to Weight Watchers shares in the wake of the news, sending the stock up 53% in pre-market trading to $10.36 on Monday morning. Winfrey bought her shares at $6.79 for a total investment of $43.2 million, according to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing.

The burgeoning share price may reflect the power of Winfrey's brand in driving interest in health-related products and programs as much as it reflects her bet on the company's previous financial prospects.

"Weight Watchers has given me the tools to begin to make the lasting shift that I and so many of us who are struggling with weight have longed for," Winfrey said in a statement. "I believe in the program so much I decided to invest in the company and partner in its evolution."

In addition to her role as a board member, Winfrey, who has long shown an interest in health issues and dieting programs, will serve as an adviser to the company.
    "Through our conversations, it became clear that there is tremendous alignment between Oprah's intention and our mission," Weight Watchers CEO Jim Chambers said in a statement. We believe that her remarkable ability to connect and inspire people to realize their full potential is uniquely complementary to our powerful community, extraordinary coaches and proven approach."

Winfrey's deal includes the option to buy an additional 5% of the company for $6.97 per share.

She can't sell any Weight Watchers stock for the first two years, according to deal terms filed with the SEC. She can sell up to 15% in the third year of her investment, up to 30% in the fourth year and up to 60% in the fifth year.

In five years she would have the right to sell all of her shares.

Oprah buys 10% of Weight Watchers, stock soars

My opinion: about to yo-yo again.

Does she think this will magically make her skinny?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Just 10? I so dislike her.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Does she think this will magically make her skinny?
    Free rein to eat whatever she wants! It's like carbon credits.

carb credits
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; October 19th, 2015 at 12:52 PM. Reason: brain was off
    "We don't want other leaders and other countries laughing at us any more. And they won't be. They won't be." --Trump

"ROFL" -- rest of world

Like the Kyoto Protocol except we could call it the Risotto Protocol instead.

I'll show myself out.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Ha! I love the bad puns!
    sputnik and ConstanceSpry like this.

I am surprised the stock soared, no one I know uses Weight Watchers anymore.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

But she's still big...
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Oh, the irony. "It didn't work for me, but I'm gonna make some money off of the skinny bitches that DID lose weight".
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I used WW after my last kid was born and it was really helpful. I kept my membership and would check in from time to time to stay on track. This fall was particularly fun for me and a few pounds crept back on so I logged back on to WW. They completely changed their program and it's fucking ridiculous. A 200 cal chai tea now "costs" me almost half of my daily points. When I tried to log it, I got a notice saying they were trying to "nudge" me into making healthier choices. I emailed them to cancel my account and gave them 4 paragraphs of my opinions on Oprah and her fucking new plan.
    tulip, JazzyGirl, fgg and 5 others like this.

Elite Member

I have used WW before and love the Points system -- I think it is so easy. However, I hate Oprah and hate that she has become the face of WW.

I used it for awhile last year and didn't like the online coaching. The answers were so pat and not helpful to me.
    Bellatheball likes this.

The problem with Op is she never sticks to any lifestlye change. She looses the weight then goes back to eating her fried chicken, deep fried butter and fried mac and cheese.
    BITTER, rollo and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

I was wondering why I was seeing Oprah all over tv pushing WW, I missed that she bought stock. I'm not too keen on trying it seeing it doesn't work for her.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchywoman View Post
    The problem with Op is she never sticks to any lifestlye change. She looses the weight then goes back to eating her fried chicken, deep fried butter and fried mac and cheese.
    That's the problem with most overweight people, myself included. Losing is actually the easy part. Maintaining your loss takes much, much more work. It takes real lifelong changes and if you diet you see it as a beginning and end and don't make the necessary permanent changes.

It's the smugness of Oprah that I object to. I'm sure the WW people were changing the program before she signed on but she's an asshole so I'm comfortable blaming her. There's a forum on MyFitnessPal and many were saying that WW has been hit really hard because people are so pissed off at the changes and rigidity.
    twitchy2.0, tulip, Brookie and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information