Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Hugh Jackman on his Wolverine diet: ‘I worry I’ll have a heart attack’

Default Hugh Jackman on his Wolverine diet: ‘I worry I’ll have a heart attack’

On the appeal of Wolverine: “Kids can relate to it. Every teenager feels murderous and marginalised — just like the mutants in X-Men. I was bullied by my big brother. Playing Wolverine makes me think how I used to fight with my brother. He used to call me poofter and sissy for being interested in dancing. And by the time he said there was nothing wrong with that, I was too old. I was 18 then.’

He was abandoned by his mother at age 8:
    “She saw me off to school wearing a towel round her head and when I came back she was gone. Two days later there was a telegram saying she was in England. It took me years to realise it wasn’t temporary. I’ve been reunited with Mum since. We see each other four or five times a year.”

Is he lowering himself with a comic-book character?
    “I find it interesting. If I didn’t I’d get out. I was given three pages of script. [My wife] read them and said, ‘There are words like *kerpow* here.’ She thought it was beneath me. I was working with Trevor Nunn at the National Theatre (playing Curly in the 1998 production of Oklahoma). It’s the only time my wife has ever been wrong — and you can quote me on that.”

He gained 25 pounds in 12 weeks for the role:
    “The problem is my height. I’m 6ft 2in and lean but in the books he’s 5ft 3in and stocky. Part of the bulking-up was to make me look squatter — more Mike Tyson than Hugh Jackman. He was a touchstone because he’s ruthless and has that Wolverine build.”

Never meet your idols:
    “I said, ‘Good day Mr Eastwood, Hugh Jackman.’ He said, ‘Yeah, I know.’ So I said, ‘I’ve been told I occasionally look like you in films.’ And Mr Eastwood replied, ‘You’re holding up the line, kid.’ Well, I still watch his movies for inspiration …”

The trials of wearing claws:
    “In my living room, I’d walk around wearing the claws, to get used to them. I’ve got scars on one leg, punctures through the
    cheek, on my forehead.” But he stuck at it. “No one apart from Sean Connery has been in so many films in the same franchise.”

On his Wolverine fitness plan:
    “I used to go to the gym and see these guys pumping iron and I thought they were idiots. In what situation could you need to bench 350lb? I never understood the addiction, it’s just painful. But that’s what I do to become Wolverine.” Worse is the diet. “It’s not good for me to eat 6,000 calories a day. I have to eat a dozen eggs every day. I worry I’ll have a heart attack.”

It’s not all bad:
    “I shouldn’t gripe so much about what I have to do to become Wolverine. One thing that is good about having the body I have is it makes you more physically imposing. People back away when you’re in a crowd and give you more space.”

What went wrong with Australia?
    “Dunno. Was it a failure? I’m really proud of it, an epic about my homeland. Fantastic! I loved working with Baz. I guess somehow it didn’t catch fire at the box office.”
    [From Daily Mail]

Cele|bitchy » Blog Archive » Hugh Jackman on his crazy Wolverine diet: ‘I worry I’ll have a heart attack’

He looks really good here.

I'm still amazed at how someone can have a rapprochement with a parent who abandoned them like that.

Clint Eastwood sounds like a real dildo.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    He was nicer to that chair he talked to at the RNC last year.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

A*O

Hmmmmm maybe he has mommy/beard issues after all.
    Beeyotch likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

i always get hugh jackman, rupert everett, dermot mulroney and dylan mcdermott mixed up. they are all one guy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I'm still amazed at how someone can have a rapprochement with a parent who abandoned them like that.
    It amazes me, too. My dad walked away and I never had a real relationship with him. It just wasn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    He does and I think he's really a huge asshole. I read about what he did to his ex, Sondra Locke. He basically had her blackballed from Hollywood after she sued him for palimony.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Hmmmmm maybe he has mommy/beard issues after all.
    It maybe reminds me just a little of John Lennon. Lost their moms at an early age. Raised by a surrogate mom (Lennon by his aunt; Jackman by his dad) - who I guess never really filled the role completely. Then, goes on to marry a significantly older S/O (Ono was 7 years older than Lennon; Furness is 13 years older than Jackman) who seems to provide a maternal role in addition to being a spouse.
    Beeyotch and llamamama like this.

I can't help, I love him.

Gold Member

He looks good

Clint's a dildo? For real? Y'all are killing every "man of a certain age" crush I have. Though I should've expected it, given the number of "GR: Where celebrity crushes go to die" posts over the years.

Damnit.

Not sexy. blah

Bronze Member

He has great body so absolutly he has to get much diet to maintain it and as wolverine he needs much power to fight with enimies with having great power and body he has nice look and now every one can get up like wolverine to wear his jacket which he wore as wolverine character.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information