Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 'I keep the hamburgers to a minimum': Aretha Franklin

Default 'I keep the hamburgers to a minimum': Aretha Franklin

Aretha Franklin has revealed her slimming secrets and promises to get a little 'sassier' as she loses more weight.
    The R&B diva opened up about her new trimmer figure in an exclusive interview with JET, a US magazine.
    Franklin, who has lost 25lbs since having surgery for an undisclosed illness in December, says: 'I am going to get a little sassier.
    'Yes, I am going to get a little sassier now.'
    The Respect singer also revealed her birthday wish. She turns 69 on March 25 and says she wants to be a US size 16 - a UK size 18 - by that date.

Transformation: Aretha Franklin, pictured here earlier this month, has lost 25lbs and hopes to get down to a US size 16 by her birthday in March

'By my birthday I will be a 16 - that's my birthday wish,' she says. 'And I just want to continue my super maintained health.
    'I look wonderful to myself at [US] size 14 or 16. But 16 is OK, too. I will rest my case at 16.'
    And quoting one of her hit songs the two-time divorcee says: 'Brothers like it and I like giving him something he can feel.'
    Franklin has already dropped three dress sizes by swapping hamburgers for healthy salads and exercising three to four times a week.
    'I go to the healthier foods that are less chemically treated,' Franklin says of her new diet.
    'I am drinking lots of water to get rid of the toxins in my body. It's a natural flushing.

'Water flushes your system and is also very good for your skin.'
    'A little sassier': The diva tells America's Jet Magazine that she is becoming more confident

Speaking about her former unhealthy eating habits, she says: 'I used to have hamburgers coming and going, especially when I was on the road.
    'Now, occasionally I will still have that quarter pounder because I love fast food, but you have to keep it to a minimum.
    'I am now opting for salads and just healthier lunches.'
    Franklin even shared the recipe for what she calls 'an Aretha salad,' which she says has got 'a lot of good stuff.'

According to JET the Queen of Soul packs her salad with radishes, tomatoes, red onions, olives, carrots, just a little shredded cheese, with ranch dressing and a little lemon.
    'It is just too good when you get down to the last third of a salad,' she says. 'What I call the 'heart' of the salad, when all of those seasonings come together.'
    Franklin combines her new healthy eating plan with exercise.
    The Chain of Fools singer says she walks on a treadmill, or a track at health club, for 30 minutes three to four times a week.
    She works with a personal trainer and is still monitored by her doctors. Franklin says: 'If I can work in that fourth day, I'll do it.
    'They want me to build up my stamina and strength so that I am ready for my concert tour in the spring.'
    Franklin had to cancel a series of concerts at the end of last year but she says that fans will see the new healthier version of her later this year.
    'It's a new chapter in my life,' she says. 'It's a brand new me. I am still the same but with some changes.'

The singer still refuses to disclose the nature of her illness, saying: 'I've pretty much said all there is to say. I've left all that behind me.'
    JET interviewed and photographed Franklin and her family and friends at a pre-Grammy reception near Detroit.
    She appears in a sleeveless pink dress, the one that she wore to make a pre-recorded message for her fans that was televised during the music awards ceremony a couple of weeks ago.
    The singer reveals that on the night of the Grammys she was excited to see Christina Aguilera, Jennifer Hudson, Florence Welch, Martina McBride and Yolanda Adams perform a musical tribute to her.
    'I couldn't wait until they came on,' Franklin says. 'I sat right in front of the TV with a cup of banana pudding and loved every minute of it.
    'Everyone was wonderful - Jennifer, Christina, everyone. And they looked fabulous.
    'But I especially loved Yolanda. She put it where it was. Bravo ladies.'

Read more: 'I keep the hamburgers to a minimum': Aretha Franklin reveals her weight loss secrets after dropping 25lbs | Mail Online

She is looking good and I hope so much she will be alright.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

well yea, now that your life is on the line
    maybe she had gastric or a band?

I also think she has a band or had gastric bypass. She looks great and hopefully her health is on the mends.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I'm guessing cancer and she's trying to eat foods that actually aren't poison in themselves. Didn't she give an interview last week saying she's giving up pig's feet?

I know it's been reported she had cancer surgery, but when I saw her video appearance at the Grammy's, I did wonder for a moment if maybe she had actually had gastric bypass surgery. Did she herself ever confirm she was treated for cancer?

Now I'm craving hamburger.

sigh.

I'm thinking it's got to be gastric bypass too. That's just such a very drastic weight loss. But even if she did, good for her, it definitely will improve her health and she doesn't owe anyone an explanation.

That's a lot more than 25 pounds lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    That's a lot more than 25 pounds lost.
    Yes it is.. She has lost at least an Olsen twin and she is going the Star Jones route about how she is losing it! I don't mind, but don't elaborate about eating salads and working out four days a week when you know you had your stomach stapled back in December!

I wish I could believe that Aretha...sadly, I think its far worse, but I hope I am wrong.

I am not sure who she thinks she is kidding, they don't have prayer vigils for somebody who has gastric bypass. I have read she lost 100 lbs now. I do believe they removed half of her stomach but for cancer, not for weight loss. Sadly it's a little late to get religion now, healthy eating, yeah great but it should have started 50 years ago. You know I love me some Aretha, but why make up all this bullshit

What happened to her having pancreatic cancer?

Right? Now it's all about pigs' feet and burgers. Come on now.

Well, be sure to tune in to Wendy Williams tomorrow (Wednesday March 2nd) I think--she is somehow getting the first interview w/Aretha and that's when it will be aired. Not sure of anything she says, but Wendy did say that she (Aretha) does not wear a wig--she wears her real hair. Woooooo....so revealing! haha

So maybe she'll say something tomorrow....but probably not. Who are we kidding?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information