Thread: Julien MacDonald says plus-size models are 'a joke'

Default Julien MacDonald says plus-size models are 'a joke'

GETTY IMAGES
    Julien Macdonald on the catwalk with a model wearing one of his designs during London Fashion Week last year

It is a debate that will run and run but, where the fashion industry is concerned, clearly size does matter.
    In remarks that will come as a disappointment to campaigners for diversity in fashion, the designer Julien Macdonald has dismissed the recent rise of plus-size models, insisting that "a catwalk model is a size six to eight". In an interview, the British designer, who is also a judge on the reality TV show Britain's Next Top Model, said of the competition: "This is a serious show. You can't have a plus-size girl winning – it makes it a joke."
    Macdonald's comments may be at odds with the general turnaround in fashion, but the Welsh designer knows how to generate helpful controversy: his spring/summer 2007 collection provoked animal rights groups who felt it relied too heavily on fur, and his search for the country's Next Top Model will no doubt get a boost in ratings.

His remarks to Wales on Sunday come after a year which has seen several high-profile magazines electing to use plus-size models, as well as designers booking bigger models to appear in their catwalk shows.
    "A programme like Britain's Next Top Model could have pushed the boundaries a little further by recognising the shift in thinking and looking for a size 10 instead," said the fashion commentator Caryn Franklin, co-founder of All Walks Beyond the Catwalk, which campaigns for diversity in modelling. "There's big money to be made by models with curves, as everyone but Julien knows."

Backlash: Plus-size supermodel Crystal Renn, who recently modelled for Chanel, left, has spoken out against Macdonald, claiming not all designers agree with him

Since the British Fashion Council's 2007 Model Health Enquiry, the issue has never been far from the headlines, but the past 12 months have seen good progress in bringing diversity to the glossies. In June 2009, the editor of British Vogue, Alexandra Shulman, wrote a letter to designers asking them to adjust their sizings because her magazine had been photoshopping models to look bigger, after "minuscule sizes" forced them to hire models with "jutting bones and no breasts or hips".
    Two months later, American Glamour printed a picture of size 12 Lizzie Miller, in which a roll of stomach was clearly visible; then Germany's most popular women's magazine, Brigitte, pledged only to use real women in its shoots; and in January 2010 V ran a "size issue", in which the photographer Terry Richardson shot the sample-sized Jacquelyn Jablonski next to the size 16 supermodel Crystal Renn.
    "The fashion world needs to change," Renn told The Independent. "Women on the street don't relate to all this talk of plus sizes, and it creates an "us and them" mentality within the industry, which leads to comments like the ones Julien Macdonald has made."
    But Katie Grand, the editor of Love magazine, which used a naked Beth Ditto on its inaugural cover, said: "There are plenty of celebrities and models who are extremely successful financially and have great credibility, who are not necessarily 'sample size'. It is possible to be a successful model without ideal clothing measurements."

Designer says plus-size models are 'a joke' - News, Fashion - The Independent

12, 6, 8, 0, 24, can't the model just not look like she's dying? I don't want to buy clothes off a corpse. I don't find it fun to shop at the morgue.
    "Just because I walked into a turd supermarket doesn't mean I have to buy anything." - John Oliver

Last time I saw, Crystal Renn had lost a good amount of weight and was taking flak for it. Her publicist said she didn't do it "on purpose", like doing it on purpose was offensive in some way.

How about they just use models of all sizes instead of these Size 0 clones? Oh wait, that'd make sense and we can't have that in the fashion industry!

Elite Member

As a child, I bet he was the last one picked to play dodgeball during recess.

Is that a human in the picture with him? Looks like a preying mantis.

Bronze Member

"a catwalk model is a size six to eight".
    I have read this before that fashion models are a size 6-8, but that's not how they appear to me. They appear much thinner. I bet that model he's with is more like a 2.

Personally I think fashion is for everyone though I don't think it's great to flaunt unhealthy bodies - too underweight or overweight, but a healthy range would be great.

^^^
    UK sizes.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin69 View Post
    12, 6, 8, 0, 24, can't the model just not look like she's dying? I don't want to buy clothes off a corpse. I don't find it fun to shop at the morgue.
    Or a teenager. I find it so strange that models nowadays are 13, 14 years old, and wearing/advertising clothes for adult women. There is something very wrong with women trying to emulate childlike- bodies.

So says a man who only sees women as objects to bring his means to an end. What a chauvinist!

Standing outside a KFC defending the Colonel

Julien Macdonald is 'a joke.' I'd say I'd boycott his designs but I wasn't going to buy any of them anyway.
    I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them. - George W. Bush

Might as well just leave the clothes on hangers.

I think 4'10 male designers are a joke.

Silver Member

I'm pretty sure his debenhams range goes to a size 22 so he's perfectly happy to flog his wares to plus size women...that range should get boycotted...But out of all the designers at Debehams, his are IMO the worse designs so I'm not sure if all that many buy it in the first place for it to make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    I think 4'10 male designers are a joke.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

Thread Information