Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 12 women's body types - which are you??

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Here are more body shapes:

The Snowglobe
    The Toothbrush Holder
    The TV/DVD Combo
    The Oscillating Fan

Um....

I agree - the pix are rubbish. I just thought it would be fun to post.

I think I'm a pear. An out-of-shape one at the moment......

I'm not sure what my body type IS anymore. I used to say "hourglass" because I have boobs and an ass and a tiny waist--like a cartoon--but I'm not overweight. I'm not any particular fruit shape, and though I'm small, I'm proportioned nicely so that I look taller than I am.

This morning I was reading a feature on MSN about "Why these women love their flaws" ...and they show an overweight woman saying "I love my curves," and I felt extremely irritated. She's a lovely woman, but, please, PLEASE that is not curvy. It's not. It's overweight. Call it something else.

ITA, Lily. It sounds like you and I have similar body types - when I turned 18, I changed from a skinny beanpole to quite an extreme hourglass shape. Frankly, it really frustrates me when overweight women or media sources appropriate the word, "curvy" to describe what are not really curves. I have no problem with people feeling good about themselves at any size, but I resent the fact that our society creates the equation that "hourglass=curvy=fat=bad". The euphemism "curvy" may make heavy women feel better about themselves but it makes us genuinely curvy ladies frown.
    "Facts are the enemy of truth."
    - Miguel Cervantes, "Don Quixote"

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    I think they should have just bitten the bullet and chosen celebrity examples for this. Most of us have been looking at celebs for years and already have an idea of their body shape - taking them and sticking labels on them would have made it much more identifiable and familiar. Like, "oh, that's what you call Reese's body shape, that does make sense".

I totally agree!

I guess I am an apple...but I don't look like the apple here...which is a good thing.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    Frankly, it really frustrates me when overweight women or media sources appropriate the word, "curvy" to describe what are not really curves. I have no problem with people feeling good about themselves at any size, but I resent the fact that our society creates the equation that "hourglass=curvy=fat=bad". The euphemism "curvy" may make heavy women feel better about themselves but it makes us genuinely curvy ladies frown.
    I agree. Curvy just doesn't mean what it used to, it seems. I'd call myself curvy. I'm not by any stretch overweight, I've got a small waist, decent sized boobs, hips. Hourglass shape. If I had to describe my body I'd say curvy as opposed to boyish, skinny athletic or overweight. Yet, I read that Beth Ditto is "curvy" and I think..what the hell?? So curvy=fat?
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I think of Kate Winslet as curvy. Beth Ditto is a little butterball.

Frankly, it really frustrates me when overweight women or media sources appropriate the word, "curvy" to describe what are not really curves. I have no problem with people feeling good about themselves at any size, but I resent the fact that our society creates the equation that "hourglass=curvy=fat=bad". The euphemism "curvy" may make heavy women feel better about themselves but it makes us genuinely curvy ladies frown.
    Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    I agree. Curvy just doesn't mean what it used to, it seems. I'd call myself curvy. I'm not by any stretch overweight, I've got a small waist, decent sized boobs, hips. Hourglass shape. If I had to describe my body I'd say curvy as opposed to boyish, skinny athletic or overweight. Yet, I read that Beth Ditto is "curvy" and I think..what the hell?? So curvy=fat?
    I so agree with you ladies. I actually witnessed someone using the word "shapely" in the same way. She was going on and on about how difficult it was to get her wedding dress because she's "shapely" and one of her bridesmaids was also "shapely", and how it's so hard for "shapely" women. I didn't know what the fuck she was talking about, because to me, Marilyn Monroe was shapely. Then I see her pics, and she's this ginormous butterbeast. Not a curve in sight, just an enormous rectangle. I guess "brick-like" is a shape. (Yes, I'm being mean on purpose, just kidding around.)

Seriously - shapely?! You can't just appropriate every flattering word that describes a woman with some curves. You can't! I never know what the fuck these words actually mean anymore.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

A*O

The Apple and Hourglass examples they have given are both overweight. Not FAT but not general examples either. I guess it just shows that everyone is different, even within their body 'type'. When I think of 'hourglass' I think Marilyn Monroe or Sophia Loren.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

ITA, Lily. It sounds like you and I have similar body types - when I turned 18, I changed from a skinny beanpole to quite an extreme hourglass shape. Frankly, it really frustrates me when overweight women or media sources appropriate the word, "curvy" to describe what are not really curves. I have no problem with people feeling good about themselves at any size, but I resent the fact that our society creates the equation that "hourglass=curvy=fat=bad". The euphemism "curvy" may make heavy women feel better about themselves but it makes us genuinely curvy ladies frown.
    Yes, it's great to have self-esteem and be comfortable with who you are, because you can be beautiful and sexy at any size (nobody would argue with the gorgeousness that is Queen Latifah, right?), but I don't know what to call my shape anymore. I'm the same kind of shape as Salma Hayek, almost exactly. What is that called? If you say "curvy," it implies that you're fat. It's not "slim" because that implies you don't have any boobs or ass. I don't know.

I don't want to be mean about people who are overweight, but they've unfairly and unrealistically stolen adjectives that don't belong to them. GIVE THEM BACK!

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    I so agree with you ladies. I actually witnessed someone using the word "shapely" in the same way. She was going on and on about how difficult it was to get her wedding dress because she's "shapely" and one of her bridesmaids was also "shapely", and how it's so hard for "shapely" women. I didn't know what the fuck she was talking about, because to me, Marilyn Monroe was shapely. Then I see her pics, and she's this ginormous butterbeast. Not a curve in sight, just an enormous rectangle. I guess "brick-like" is a shape. (Yes, I'm being mean on purpose, just kidding around.)

Seriously - shapely?! You can't just appropriate every flattering word that describes a woman with some curves. You can't! I never know what the fuck these words actually mean anymore.
    It's women like this that vanity sizing was (unfortunately) created for. Whatever makes people feel better about being overweight. It is going to get more and more ridiculous until women like Beth Ditto are buying size 10 at The Gap.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

A*O

Fatties describe themselves as 'curvy' because they are in denial. Been there, done that. If they really were proud of their body they would say "I love my womanly fat" but they don't say that because deep down they hate their bodies despite the rather too strident denials. Been there, done that too.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Alright, I have no clue what shape I am. All my life people have been calling me "hourglass" because I have a tiny waist and round hips, but I don't have a very large chest or ass, and I have shorter legs. When I gain weight, it gets distributed pretty evenly. I really have no idea where I fit in here.

On the Curvy V. Fat issue, I agree with everone, it means you have curves, not rolls. At my heaviest I never said I was "curvy", I said I was heavy. Now I'm at a healthy weight and am actually curvy, but if someone were to call me that I'd be offended because it's definition has changed.
    President Barack Obama
    Sounds amazing, doesn't it?

I dont know...I'd describe myself as curvy even though I'm overweight, because I still have a pretty well defined hourglass shape.

So while not every overweight woman is curvy, it doesnt mean that its impossibile for a fat woman to be described as curvy...
    Dramatically overdramatic

Bronze Member

I don't know what's my shape. I really have no idea,i'm athletic, my butt is round and my bra size is 34C,my waist is not really defined it's straight-ish.I'm not skinny and never will be because of my frame ,i'm normal/slim and i'm quite short,5'4 1/2 How the hell can you define that? Lol maybe i'm a mixture of different things?

The hourglass shape is sooooooooooooooo pretty and feminine ,i wish i had a tiny waist .That would be so great!*sighs*

Oh! Edit to say...
    I think i'm Cello although i do not look like that woman hahaha.But the description fits me perfectly i think.Can anyone tell me what conspicuous means in that context ?
    Last edited by Makedah24; October 23rd, 2007 at 10:32 AM.

Bronze Member

I agree that that is not an 'hourglass'.

I think my shape is probably hourglass. I've got boobs, hips, and a butt, but a small waist. And though I love babydoll tops and dresses, I can't wear any without looking pregnant. My sister and I are almost complete opposites. I'm more of a curvy shape, whereas she is straight with a smaller chest. She says she wants a chest like me, and I envy her for being able to wear lots of types of clothing without looking slutty (like low-cut tops). Grass is always greener on the other side, I guess.

The whole 'curvy' debate drives me crazy. Especially when it's a 300 pound woman describing herself as womanly and curvy. Beth Ditto, I'm looking at you.

Yes, it's great to have self-esteem and be comfortable with who you are, because you can be beautiful and sexy at any size (nobody would argue with the gorgeousness that is Queen Latifah, right?), but I don't know what to call my shape anymore. I'm the same kind of shape as Salma Hayek, almost exactly. What is that called? If you say "curvy," it implies that you're fat. It's not "slim" because that implies you don't have any boobs or ass. I don't know.
    I agree.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information