Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: V Magazine pits a plus-size model against a skinny one

Default V Magazine pits a plus-size model against a skinny one

Watch the slideshow
    Photo: Terry Richardson for V

V magazine has released a preview of the issue "Page Six" had reported would be devoted to plus-size models. Turns out that the "Size Issue," as they're calling it, doesn't only include plus ladies. In the "One Size Fits All" spread shot by Terry Richardson, Crystal Renn and Jacquelyn Jablonski pose side by side in the same looks and similar poses, "creating quite a sizeable comparison," according to the press release. The point is to prove that "fashion can flatter any figure." If the industry truly believes that, why do we need a special issue devoted to proving it? Probably because fashion doesn't truly believe that, but at least these pictures show people with that thing called flesh looking good in expensive clothes, too. The release also included the models' measurements:
    Jacquelyn: 5 ft, 9 in; 32/24/34 Crystal Renn: 5 ft, 9 in; 36/31/41
    And that is how the industry defines plus-size models. See how fashion flatters all shapes and sizes in the slideshow.

V Magazine Pits a Plus-Size Model Against a Skinny One -- The Cut

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    The point is to prove that "fashion can flatter any figure." If the industry truly believes that, why do we need a special issue devoted to proving it? Probably because fashion doesn't truly believe that, but at least these pictures show people with that thing called flesh looking good in expensive clothes, too.
    It's just so these phonies can pat themselves on the back for being soooo "progressive" and "enlightened" by making these once in a blue moon photo shoots to show that, by gosh, they 'get it.'

And then it's back to business as usual, showing skinny ass models in their photo spreads.

Faker than pamela andersons boobies.

The plus sized model looks like a normal person to me. Granted, a normal person with a very nice shape to her figure, but normal-sized. I thought plus sized models were supposed to be bigger. Maybe it's just hard to tell?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

how the fuck is that PLUS sized?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Ok, so it's not just me.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    how the fuck is that PLUS sized?
    It's more in the appearance of the legs, she's got them luscious leona lewis gams

Plus size???? Seriously?

They killed two birds with one stone: that's Crystal Renn.. she just wrote a book on her experiences with EDs in her younger modeling days and her decision to be normal and work as a plus size model. Have a special 'progressive' editorial and include the poster-child plus model 'it girl' of the moment in it. Win-win. Clever birds.

She's plus in modelling terms, IRL she's normal

Technically, yes, that's a plus size model. She probably hovers somewhere around a size 12 b/c she models for Lane Bryant sometimes and they usually use size 12ish models (even though their clothing doesn't start until size 14....).

I wanted to point out to people on here that THIS is a plus sized model...they are NOT usually sizes 16 and above...that's still generally too big to be Models. In this instance the Plus sized girls shaped looks more attractive to me although neither of them has a nice chest! lol. I know that in America the average woman is overweight so when you see a plus sized model people think that they look "normal". I think that people here expect plus sized models to be really obese because they are just used to seeing slightly overweight women anyway.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

31 waist and 41 hips would probably put her in a size 14. That's considered plus sized for many clothing lines and definitely plus-size for a model.

ok, i'm going to get flamed for this but models (even plus-sized) are supposed to be better looking than most women. i think this chick is the right size for a plus-size model. any bigger and there would be rolls of fat and all that whereas this chick is voluptuous and curvy (in the real sense of the word, not 'code for fat' as it's used nowadays) and has a beautiful body.
    and yes, models today have gotten too thin but i don't think that means they should all be size 12s either. they should just go back to the early 90s model bodies.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Isn't Crystal Renn, a plus-sized model who used to be an ultra-skinny one?

I could have sworn I thumbed through a book by her recently. It had a bunch of older photos of her that looked like the model on the left in V Magazine.

Yes, she used to be so stick thin at one point. She looks better with more "meat" on her bones (bottom left pic).

Rock the fuck on!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information