Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Biggest Loser' contestant's tragic past

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default 'Biggest Loser' contestant's tragic past

In a new Life & Style interview given exclusively to PopEater, 'The Biggest Loser' contestant Abigail Rike reveals she faced more challenges than just losing 82 pounds during season eight. After her husband and two children were killed in a horrific car crash in 2006, Rike turned to food to ease the pain. Now three years later, Rike admits focusing on her weight loss has helped her regain purpose in her life. "Losing weight is kind of like shedding the sadness and hurt and emerging stronger. My life will matter again," Rike said.Before the accident, Rike was a devoted wife and mother. "I wouldn't have traded lives with any human on the planet because my life was the best." But that dramatically changed when a speeding driver crashed head-on into the family's Nissan minivan, killing her husband Richard Rike, 33, Macy, 5, and Caleb, just 2½ weeks. Abby wasn't in the vehicle.

"After the wreck, all my roles were gone. I wasn't a wife anymore. I wasn't a mother anymore. I was broken and falling apart inside.There were pieces of shrapnel where my heart used to be -- it was shattered."

To deal with the pain, she started emotionally eating and struggled with depression -- watching the weight pile on. "You can't bury your two children and the love of your life and think, 'Oh, I'm just going to be okay,'" she said.

Her life turned around when she decided to audition for 'The Biggest Loser.' As the pounds started to come off, she realized the process helped her "heal from the inside out" as she channeled her pain into her workouts. Starting at 247 pounds, she lost an average of 4 pounds a week and now, after being eliminated, the 5-foot-4 contestant is down to an impressive 165 pounds. "You can't help what happens to you, but you can choose how you respond to it."

source.

Wow, losing your whole family in one day - only two and a half weeks after the joy of becoming a mother again. Devastating.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Man, I can't even begin to imagine losing one family member let alone everyone. I don't even watch the show but I really hope she wins.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

This is beyond sad - I can't imagine what this woman has had to deal with. I'm speechless

Tragic. Whatever makes her happy now,she should do.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

She chose to leave last week and it was really sad. With that being said she has really kept up with it and she seems truly happy now! She is such a sweet and caring woman...
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

I don't know how this woman kept her sanity. I would've checked out losing my spouse, much less two children - one of which I only gave birth to less than 3 weeks before. That pain must've been unimaginable.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I admire her strength. I don't think I'd be alive long if I went through what she did.

That is truly heartbreaking! I can't imagine moving forward from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Wow... how tragic to have lost the self-professed love of her life and her two precious children at the same time. I admire her for finding joy and purpose in her life after such a tragedy and making a commitment to taking better care of herself.

Tragic.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

What a tragic thing to have happen. Losing your whole family in one day? Heartbreaking. She seems like such a courageous, sweet woman.

I truly don't know how one functions after something like that happens. It's so inspirational to see her take her life back.

Elite Member

I like the BL show and her story was a tear jerker to say the least. Unbelievable.

I watch the show occassionally and always liked her....THEN I heard her story. WOW.

I mean.....I just reiterate everything said already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information