Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So long Cheryl Cole's stick-thin frame, today's women want curves like Nigella Lawson

Default So long Cheryl Cole's stick-thin frame, today's women want curves like Nigella Lawson

So long Cheryl Cole's stick-thin frame, today's women want... curves like Nigella Lawson's

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 8:25 AM on 22nd July 2009

When it comes to the perfect body shape, it seems women are on a learning curve.
    Forget the boyish straight-up-and-down look paraded by the likes of the teeny-tiny Cheryl Cole.
    Now women believe Nigella Lawson's classic hourglass shape is the figure to diet for.

Elegantly waisted: Today's women would rather emulate Nigella's classic curves than Cheryl Cole's boyish figure

Her generous curves topped the list of figures that women would most like to have themselves.
    In fact two in three yearn for an hourglass 'in and out' figure, a survey of 2,000 women found.
    Miss Lawson topped the poll when the women were asked whose figure they found most inspiring. She was followed by the womanly Dame Helen Mirren (whose photo last year in a red bikini was regarded as the epitome of mature glamour), the elegant Dame Judi Dench and Kate Winslet, a curvy English rose.

Others in the top ten included Julie Walters, TV presenter Holly Willoughby and the generously proportioned Kirstie Allsopp, who hosts the property show Location, Location, Location.

Next in line: Womanly Dame Helen Mirren, left, and elegant Dame Judi Dench closely followed Nigella's lead

Leaner shapes, along with the out-of-proportion figure of Katie Price, were no longer regarded as ideal.
    A third of British women (35 per cent) saw themselves as apple-shaped with an undefined waistline.
    A further 25 per cent claimed to be pear-shaped with a big bottom.
    Only 13 per cent of women regarded themselves as the perfect hourglass. But a whopping 65 per cent dream of acquiring this shape.
    The poll, carried out for Special K breakfast cereal, suggests it is shape rather than size which is most important to women these days.
    'The report shows that women's attitudes to slimming over the last 50 years have changed with their figures,' said a spokesman for the brand.
    'It seems British women have lost their waists but now they are demanding them back.
    'They are more concerned about getting a curvy hourglass shape instead of being the perfect size 10.'

English rose: Kate Winslet's classical curves, left, are favoured over the out-of-proportion shape recently paraded by Katie Price

Being admired for her face and figure isn't enough for Kate Winslet. She wants to be known for her frankness as well.
    The Oscar-winning actress wants to make it clear she doesn't always look as glamorous as her pictures.
    'I have wrinkles here [on her forehead], which are very evident,' she told the American magazine Harper's Bazaar.

'I will particularly say when I look at movie posters: "You guys have airbrushed my forehead. Please can you change it back?"
    'I'd rather be the woman they're saying "She's looking older" about than "She's looking stoned".'

AND a plumber for a boyfriend...
    Once the well- heeled woman dreamed of having a wealthy City trader on her arm.
    But in these unstable times, it seems they would far rather a tradesman.
    Plumbers, electricians and carpenters are in demand as professional female singletons look for dependability during the recession.
    As well the practical help tradesmen provide around the house, they are seen as having a steady income and being reliable within relationships.
    Meanwhile bankers, who easily won dates before the credit crunch, have plummeted in popularity, dating website mysinglefriend.com found.
    Many are even removing their job titles from profiles. The current top five most viewed profiles work within trade, craft or agriculture.
    Public sector employees such as police officers, doctors and teachers are also attracting more admirers.
    TV host Sarah Beeny, the site's cofounder, said: 'Forget the previously most popular bankers and financiers. Women want men who can do.'

It's all about the hip-to-waist ratio baby!

Elite Member

I have actually heard (read) that the lollipop head look is going away and that Hollywood women are striving to be a bit curvier. I guess they're all tired of starving. Whatever, I hope a more realistic beauty ideal sweeps its way across the nation soon.

I'll take Cheryl Cole 1000X before I'd do Nigella!
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

^^^We can only hope. I found a whole lot of magazines from 1991 in a thrift shop last week. It was so nice to see celebrities who had normal lips and cheekbones. Hopefully, there will be a turnaround in Hollywood from these hideous trends as well.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Actually I think Nigella is a bit too plump in the belly for my preference, but to each his own. she is very beautiful and sexy, though, and has a great shape overall.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nigella's boobs look kind of breadloaf-y.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

eh, call me cynical but i'm not buying it. every few years the press starts proclaiming 'the return of curves', but it never sticks.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

i still want to be healthy slim(rather than looking like a grandma) and i dont mind the fact that my current bf is a banker,
    stupid researches

Helen Mirren has an awesome figure!

As for Nigella Lawson, that's a really great picture of her, but I've seen some where she seemed a bit plumper than that and carried most of it in her hips, thighs, and tummy. I'd rather have a figure like Kate Winslet's, who is curvy without looking chunk.

^^ I'll give you that..Hellen does have a SICK body for her age...but Nigella is fat...sorry but it is what it is.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    eh, call me cynical but i'm not buying it. every few years the press starts proclaiming 'the return of curves', but it never sticks.
    cynical

those were my exact thoughts as well

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

eh, Nigella is fat, she won't be a role model to any 16 year old.
    Lollypop heads will be.
    By the time that teenager becomes 30 something or 40 and gets tired of all the diets THEN she'd be proud of her "curvy" figure she hated before and labelled fat.

Quote Originally Posted by TheONe View Post
    I'll take Cheryl Cole 1000X before I'd do Nigella!
    Erm... the title is "So long Cheryl Cole's stick-thin frame, today's women want curves like Nigella Lawson " There is a bit of a clue there!

The research is sponsored by Special K - so 16 yr olds really aren't interested in eating it IMO... so they probably weren't asked.

In a recession/depression/cultures where there are a lot of poor/etc "plumper" figures become more attractive because it displays wealth in a time of poverty. The majority of the fashion houses showed belted & waisted clothes for the autunm/winter...
    If you track the changes from the early 20's to the "flappers" in the Roaring 20s with its excesses to the 30's & then the depression the dresses become more "womanly' from the androgenous 20s.....

Its very interesting (to me) - there is a corrolation to hemlines too!
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Erm... the title is "So long Cheryl Cole's stick-thin frame, today's women want curves like Nigella Lawson " There is a bit of a clue there!

The research is sponsored by Special K - so 16 yr olds really aren't interested in eating it IMO... so they probably weren't asked.

In a recession/depression/cultures where there are a lot of poor/etc "plumper" figures become more attractive because it displays wealth in a time of poverty. The majority of the fashion houses showed belted & waisted clothes for the autunm/winter...
    If you track the changes from the early 20's to the "flappers" in the Roaring 20s with its excesses to the 30's & then the depression the dresses become more "womanly' from the androgenous 20s.....

Its very interesting (to me) - there is a corrolation to hemlines too!
    Do you really think that women aspire to have a body like Nigella? I highly doubt that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information