Thread: Male Hollywood stars getting fatter

Default Male Hollywood stars getting fatter

What’s the Skinny on the Heftier Stars?
    By MICHAEL CIEPLY
    Published: April 17, 2009

LOS ANGELES — A scene from the new journalistic thriller “State of Play” says it all.

Jeff Daniels, as the politician George Fergus, squares off with Russell Crowe, as the pen-wielding journalist Cal McAffrey.

Two men. One notebook. Four chins.

Hollywood’s pool of leading men is getting larger — and not necessarily in a good way.

Based on a close look at trailers, still photos and some films already released, at least a dozen male stars in some of the year’s most prominent movies have been adding on the pounds of late.

In “The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3,” a subway heist movie due from Columbia Pictures and MGM in June, Denzel Washington, 54, goes cheek-to-jowl with the bulky John Travolta, 55 — and they are beginning to look like a matched set. Mr. Washington is no longer the lean, mean boxing machine he portrayed in “The Hurricane,” 10 years ago.

Hugh Grant, 48, who played the skinny cad to a puffy Renée Zellweger in “Bridget Jones’s Diary” just eight years ago, may find the tables turned in “Did You Hear About the Morgans?,” a comedy to be released by Columbia in December. His co-star, Sarah Jessica Parker, is the sleek one this time around, while Mr. Grant’s famous dimples pop out where they used to pop in.

Even Leonardo DiCaprio, the young heartthrob from “Titanic,” is better padded these days, at 34. Photos from the set of “Shutter Island,” a thriller on tap from Paramount Pictures and the director Martin Scorsese in October, show a little bit more to love.

Hollywood’s women may have weight issues of their own. But it is somehow less noticeable, possibly because actresses who expand do not often get roles to showcase that growth. Kathleen Turner, 54 and the onetime seductress of “Body Heat,” last December put in a rare film performance as Ms. Kornblut, the plus-size dog trainer in “Marley & Me.”

But the men are still playing leads into their 40s and 50s — giving glimpses of what age, and perhaps a little inattention, can do to a most admired physique.

“John Wayne always looked a bit portly,” noted Lawrence Turman, a veteran film producer who is chairman of the Peter Stark producing program at the University of Southern California’s School of Cinematic Arts.

“Mike Nichols once told me the one essential for an actor to have is a large head, so as to be seen,” Mr. Turman said.

Photos of midcentury stars — Humphrey Bogart, James Stewart, Clark Gable and others — show them to have remained rather gaunt at an age when many of the current crop are anything but.

The change in smoking habits may have something to do with it. Possibly, too, the audience has grown more tolerant of weightier men on screen as the society at large has become heavier.

In the past, heavier leading men were confined mostly to the comedy world, said Felicia Fasano, a casting director whose credits include films like “Bad Santa” and “Barber Shop 2: Back in Business” and the television series “Californication.”

But a new willingness to cast heavier men “may have happened organically,” Ms. Fasano said, as Hollywood over the last few years has been plagued by what has widely been seen as a shortage of reliably appealing stars.

Certainly, added girth did nothing to diminish the drawing power of Vince Vaughn. He has sized up considerably since “Swingers,” a cult classic that took in $4.6 million at the box office for Miramax Films back in 1996.

But far bigger crowds showed up to see the beefier Mr. Vaughn, 39, when he was paired with a petite Reese Witherspoon in “Four Christmases” last year. That may be good news for Universal Pictures, which has a still-substantial Mr. Vaughn in the lead of its comedy “Couples Retreat,” scheduled for release in the fall.

Still, size can become an issue when making a film.

“The bigger people are, the more concern there is about high blood pressure or the possibility of strokes or heart attacks” during a shoot, said Brian Kingman, a managing director of Arthur J. Gallagher & Company, which sells entertainment insurance. For all but the oldest stars, however, an extra “10, 20 or 30 pounds” is usually not a major underwriting concern, Mr. Kingman said.

And the weight thing does have its ups and downs.

Tom Hanks, the very skinny guy from “Cast Away,” is now 52 and was up quite a bit when he appeared briefly in “The Great Buck Howard,” a comedy shot in 2006 and released earlier this year. But a handful of photos from the drama “Angels & Demons,” due in May from Columbia Pictures and Imagine Entertainment, show a more compact star. (Some actors, of course — Mr. Hanks and Mr. Crowe among them — have gained and lost weight for specific roles.)

And Seth Rogen, 27, who became a star by playing an unlikely and chubby romantic interest in movies like “Knocked Up,” has recently made the television rounds in much, much slimmer form — perhaps in preparation for his coming title role in “The Green Hornet.”

Appearing on the “Today” show on Tuesday, Mr. Crowe, 45, said he was working his way down to fighting trim for his current role as Robin Hood in a new film for Universal, but he confessed that pounds were dropping more slowly than he had hoped.

He might want to get some diet advice from Jason Segel.

Mr. Segel, 29, was fairly hefty in “I Love You, Man,” a comedy released by Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks in March. But his face looked surprisingly thin on billboards advertising the film.

The advertising photos were done some weeks after the film shoot, with a slimmer Mr. Segel, said Katie Martin Kelley, a publicity executive with Paramount. “There was no retouching done,” Ms. Kelley said.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/18/mo...bulk.html?_r=1

Meh, happens to the best of us. What you want to do about it, is up to them.

And they have EVERYTHING at their fingertips: personal chefs/trainers/world class work out facilities, etc.

I don't feel at all sorry for them.

I think you're supposed to feel sorry for US, the viewers, not them, the chunky millionaires.

Johnny Depp will never pork out.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Hot male stars are allowed to get chunky and still make $20 million per film, wheres as female stars are not. Technically they can, but they'll be ragged on mercilessly by the press, and they can forget about getting those $20 million pay checks per movie.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

^Good point...
    Do you think it has to do with women putting more emphasis on looks
    and always nitpicking on other women, whereas men tend not to
    care too much about such things....

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

^I think that's part of it. The media plays into it as well though, and designers for having anorexics on their catwalk, etc. Generally, women are more forgiving of men when they age or gain weight. A lot of women still think Sean Connery is hot, and as a result, he was seen as a sex symbol well into his 70's. Women (with the exception of a rare few) do not share that luxury when on the world stage. As a whole, men tend to be pretty adaptable to change in women, so if magazines started putting average sized women on their covers, and that was considered the height of sexiness by the media, men would probably have a different view of the everyday woman.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    ^I think that's part of it. The media plays into it as well though, and designers for having anorexics on their catwalk, etc. Generally, women are more forgiving of men when they age or gain weight. A lot of women still think Sean Connery is hot, and as a result, he was seen as a sex symbol well into his 70's. Women (with the exception of a rare few) do not share that luxury when on the world stage. As a whole, men tend to be pretty adaptable to change in women, so if magazines started putting average sized women on their covers, and that was considered the height of sexiness by the media, men would probably have a different view of the everyday woman.
    I agree.

I have no problem with "chunkier" male star - if IF women were still getting good roles in their 40s/50/etc and were "allowed" to be bigger than a size 2..... Its not realistic.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

This is all very true and you all bring up very good points but it's just not fair.

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

A*O

Most male stars don't think twice about gaining weight for roles. It must be hell for them LOL. Most men can also lose the weight quickly and easily which makes it double unfair. But while the world thinks that Barbie is the perfect woman there's not much real women can do about it.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyJenny86 View Post
    This is all very true and you all bring up very good points but it's just not fair.
    Isn't that the truth!
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Denzel Washington plays a NYC Transit Authority subway dispatcher in Pelham 1 2 3 hence the reason he put on the weight.
    After the film, he'll slim down again because he enjoys being healthy for his wife & four children.
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

i think John Travolta looks great with weight on him.

(anyone surprised i feel this way?LOL)
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Thread Information