Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you watching the debate??

How was McCain on the offensive? He kept bringing up pointless stories and dropping names in what appeared to be a desperate attempt to skirt the issues, as not to be pushed into stating his position.

Obama on the other hand actually answered the questions posed. He busted McCain on lies and he managed to demonstrate how the republican Bush administration's actions on 9/11, the War on Terror, and deregulation are not separate entities as they pertain to the economic crisis. Basically he pointed out how many ridiculous choices brought us to this point.

PBS said it was a draw but because McCain is behind in the polls it's better for him.

noooooooo... I will probably read analysis tomorrow, maybe a little. I guess people watch these to conjecture how people who are undecided will vote if they vote on a performance rather than platforms. I know Obama will cream him, and he will be able to do it in a way that doesn't make it look like he just rolled a senior citizen.

I was pissed every time he pointed out agreements or said,"You're right."

Then again, McCain didn't really say anything important.

I enjoyed it! I think Obama looked strong and held his own against McCain.

My husband and I both agreed McCain came off condescending with his "You don't understand" and scoffing when Obama was talking. I didn't like his attitude.

^^Exactly, DeadDwarf. I felt as if he was saying to the public at large that we are too stupid to understand what we need the government to do. He was arrogant, rude, and, as you pointed, condescending.

ROFLMAO

"McCain won by not dropping dead on stage."

HAHAHAH
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    My husband and I both agreed McCain came off condescending with his "You don't understand" and scoffing when Obama was talking. I didn't like his attitude.
    McCain said it SOOO many times he sounded like a broken record. "You don't understand. You don't understand."

I'm rather impressed that while all the spackle in his wrinkles cracked, it didn't fall. That $5,000 stylist is worth every penny.

Though his neck wattle was skeeving me out, he needs higher collars...or turtlenecks.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Yeah, the one thing I think Obama did wrong was that he kept saying that 'I agree with John.' Overall, Obama did a good job, but he has to come a little stronger the next time.
    They were talking on MSNBC that the McCain camp was probably already putting that together as an ad to run...

I think Obama did an excellent job of keeping himself composed because I think otherwise the McCain camp would try to twist it around. McCain's continual smirking was uncalled for I wanted to reach through the tv and smack him.

"Yes, I know you're a POW."

yup, mctard already has ads up with Obama agreeing with mccain..They had them done halfway through the debate for gods sake.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

LMAO. Joe Biden was just commenting on cnn and one of the analysts said, I wish Sarah would be here to give us her take. Then Anderson said "Don't hold your breath". I love his closeted ass.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Friday, Sept. 26, 2008 22:26 EDT
    Attack on Iraq

By my informal count, at least six times McCain said Obama "doesn't understand" this or that. I find that condescending, but maybe it's working with swing voters. I dunno.

What I do know is that Obama did not come up with the caustic, repeatable sound bite. Can somebody explain to me why Obama didn't interrupt just once to say, "You know, Senator McCain keeps saying I don't understand this or that, but on the biggest foreign policy and military decision of the past 40 years -- the Iraq invasion -- the senator got it wrong. Repeat: Wrong. So he ought to save all his condescending lectures about who understands what, because he didn't understand what was at stake in Iraq, and that misunderstanding cost us 4,000 lives and a trillion dollars."

― Thomas Schaller

Attack on Iraq - War Room - Salon.com

Live blogging: Oh snap -- pork barrel, that!

Obama is making a very smart point about pork-barreling but not making it smartly. He should put it in context. Our federal budget is about $2.5 trillion. Pork-barrel projects actually account for closer to $30B-$50B, which is more than Obama is stating ($18B). (My departmental colleague, Roy Meyers of UMBC, is a budget expert on this matter.)

OK, still, even if on the high end, $50B is, as a share of $2.5 trillion, 1/50th of the budget. So what McCain is saying is that, for a family with a household expense that includes a mortgage, insurance, utilities, phone and cable that amounts to $2,500 per month, he's going to make you solvent by eliminating the $50 you pay to have some teenager mow and weed your lawn twice monthly. It's a total diversion. And McCain knows it.

Why is he getting away with this crap? I'm sorry, but because too few Americans can do math and/or understand budgeting. Millions, billions or trillions -- flies right over their heads. You have to put numbers in context. McCain knows this and tries to pretend he is a fiscal conservative by attacking your lawn-mowing expense while cutting out hundreds of billions in potential revenues by supporting the nongrowth Bush tax cuts.

Obama took a good whack at McCain's fallacious, misleading "budget talk." But he has to do it smarter.

P.S.: Give McCain credit for attacking cost-plus budgeting in defense contracting. But I'm not sure he has really spoken out against cost-plus all along. (Has he?)

P.P.S.: You knew McCain was going to drop the whole "most liberal senator" talking point. Not sure aligning with Tom Coburn is Obama's best solution -- better when he said being a liberal meant opposing failed Bush policies. Liked his hatchet-scalpel metaphor. Nicely played.

― Thomas Schaller
    Live blogging: Oh snap -- pork barrel, that! - War Room - Salon.com

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information