Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yay! Sarah Palin to run for President

Let me get this straight, the Alaska Legislative session just began last week and she's already jumping ship to go to Virginia? Sounds like the people of Alaska shouldn't vote her into any statewide office after her term as governor ends.

You know all the late night comedians are just salivating at the prospect of her running. It's going to make their job so easy. With all the people she pissed off during the McCain campaign and her wackos' "Operation Leper" program, all the good political people won't want to work with her train wreck.

You guys are really under(mis)estimating her. There are lots of conservative right wingers who will support her and give her money to run. She will, whether we like it or not, be a force to deal with. Also, don't undermisestimate the stupity of a lot of middle to low class rural people in this country. I pray she loses her steam by then because if she doesn't all the wonderful things Obama has done in his first week will be erased in even less time. Could you all imagine Sarah Palin having the intellect to fix the economic crisis? Or deal with world leaders?

If they want to waste their money but contributing to her campaign, it's fine by me. I can think of better ways of spending my hard earned cash...
    Could you all imagine Sarah Palin having the intellect to fix the economic crisis? Or deal with world leaders?
    Most of this country already believes she's a joke. She hasn't done anything to change that and probably won't while she's in office. I doubt she could even get re-elected as governor or elected to Lisa Murkowski's senate seat. There are a lot of Alaskans thinking she'll just abandon having a political office after 2010 and work the media for her campaign spotlight. Dude, she can't even meet with Alaska's municipal leaders. This would come out in more press pieces if she does run a presidential campaign.

(1/27/09) Just one week after Governor Sarah Palin's State of the State speech where she told Alaskans, "like our musk ox, they circle up to protect their future when they are challenged. We’ve got to do the same," it appears Palin is abandoning the herd.

On Thursday, January 29, the Alaska Municipal League (AML) will hold its annual legislative luncheon in Juneau. The AML is a voluntary, nonprofit, nonpartisan, statewide organization of 140 cities, boroughs, and unified municipalities, representing over 97 percent of Alaska's residents.

In attendance will be Alaska's mayors, city council members and local government officials who gather at a time when local government is facing unprecedented challenges.
    And for the second time in the last three months the AML has invited Alaska's Governor to address Alaska's Mayors and for the second time in the last three months, Palin is blowing them off.
    In November 2008, the AML held their annual conference in Ketchikan and invited Palin to speak. She declined to speak to Alaska's local government officials, even though she had more than enough time during November to speak to national media as well as Georgia voters about why they should vote for Saxby Chambliss.

But this weeks snub shows what most AML members have thought since last year; this isn't business, this is personal.

After all, the invitation is for a lunch speech on Thursday in Juneau, during a time when the governor should be in Juneau for the legislative session. What possibly could be keeping the governor from attending? What possibly could be more important than spending twenty minutes with local government officials who have questions about transportation and energy?
    Well, it appears the head Musk Ox holds a grudge.
    In January 2008, during the AML's legislative meeting, a number of mayor's were frustrated at what they called a lack of access to Governor Palin. Some mayors were frustrated that Palin was hard to get an appointment with, wouldn't return phone calls and was almost impossible to get answers from.

Mayor Joe Williams from Saxman stood up in a crowded room and complained about Palin's absence which drew major press coverage.

AP reporter Anne Sutton wrote on January 23, 2008: "Local municipal leaders complained Tuesday that Gov. Sarah Palin is not living up to her promise of an open and transparent government. Members of the Alaska Municipal League gathering in Juneau this week said they are disappointed with the administration's efforts to help Alaska communities. And some are upset they haven't had a chance to talk with her about it."

Palin was furious at the negative press coverage. Later at a Ketchikan fly-in reception, she reportedly made a beeline for Williams and gave him a piece of her mind. Since that interaction, Palin has declined every invitation to speak to the group.
    In fact, since Palin has been elected, she hasn't even met once with the AML's executive director.
    But this weeks snub is one for the books. After calling back to confirm that the AML received the message that Palin wouldn't be able to speak to the group on Thursday, Palin's secretary asked if they were giving out an award to any of the mayors.

When asked why, the caller said the governor might be able to swing by and hand out an award. When asked by the AML why the governor had time to come by and hand out an award but yet didnt have time to come by and talk about energy and transportation issues, the secretary didn't have an answer.

In her absence, Palin has sent both Lt. Governor Sean Parnell and Attorney General Talis Colberg. The problem is that neither Parnell or Colberg have the capacity to answer any questions asked by the AML members.
    When asked questions by AML members, Parnell answers that he can't speak for the governor.

In fact Parnell has quickly worn thin his welcome by his inability to say anything that means anything. When asked in at a past AML meeting about the governor's position on revenue sharing by Mayor Jerome Selby of Kodiak, Parnell answered that it takes more than money to run a city..."it takes character, honesty and punctuality."
    A classic from a guy who puts the Lite in Lite Guv.
    Meanwhile, Palin can talk all day long about "circling up like Musk Ox to protect the future of Alaska" and "So now united, protecting and progressing under the great North Star, let’s get to work," but before any of that happens....she has to show up to work.

The way it looks, is that the AML is going to have to attract a national news media outlet to cover its luncheon if they want Palin to agree to speak.

Circling up the Musk Ox: Where art thou? | AndrewHalcro.com
    Running for president means eventually having to give answers. Something Palin is at a complete loss for.

Please, let's remember that SNL always needs opening skit material...

I imagine it would pretty easy for someone like Mitt Romney to take her out by exposing something Really Bad that she's done. He has money, he's smart, and he's tricksy. I'm sure she has many skeletons in her closet that haven't yet come to light. Her Republican competition will make sure they do.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    Do you smell what I smell? LOL
    Bullshit? Dead moose? The fuel exhaust from the ban bus?

KIDDING!
    Last edited by Penny Lane; January 27th, 2009 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Personally, I want Palin to get the Republican nomination, so she and Obama can debate. That's what I'm waiting for.
    Damn it, King, now I can't get that scenario out of my head.

It would be glorious.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Damn it, King, now I can't get that scenario out of my head.

It would be glorious.
    It would probably go something like this:

Obama: Governor, what would you do differently to bring peace to the Middle East?

Palin: Well, I would just be waitin' for those 'end of days' you know so Jesus could sort it all out. But, I know the liberal gotcha media would probably be twistin' my words and tryin' to make me look foolish. But it's really all about taxes, you know. And Ronald Reagan. But if I was gonna give a definitive answer, I would say it's about personal responsibility. Because you can see Russia from an island in Alaska, and Vladimir Poot-In rears his head from time to time, which has consequences in the country of Africa. (wink)

She should start stocking up on Presidential clothes from her trendy little thrift shop.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    An Obama-Palin debate would be awesome. The hardest part of debating her would be trying to keep the WTF? look off your face.
    You should of seen the look on his face when he was debating Alan Keyes (the Illinois senate seat) when he said that gay people adopting would lead their children into incest

What I want to see is Hillary debate Palin.
    Last edited by bychance; January 28th, 2009 at 03:46 AM.

Yeah, I'd love to see that. You know Hillary would tear her a new asshole.

Obama: Governor, what would you do differently to bring peace to the Middle East?

Palin: Well, I would just be waitin' for those 'end of days' you know so Jesus could sort it all out. But, I know the liberal gotcha media would probably be twistin' my words and tryin' to make me look foolish. But it's really all about taxes, you know. And Ronald Reagan. But if I was gonna give a definitive answer, I would say it's about personal responsibility. Because you can see Russia from an island in Alaska, and Vladimir Poot-In rears his head from time to time, which has consequences in the country of Africa. (wink)

It's probably not far from how she would really respond too!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    Bullshit? Dead moose? The fuel exhaust from the ban bus?

KIDDING!

You guys make my day.

Who is going to be on the GR ticket for 2012? If Obama decides not to run again, the other choice is shoo-in!

Why hasn't this bitch been muzzled?

Palin continues to piss of more Alaskans:
    Ms.Palin's PAC: Gaming the truth

(1/29/09) My Inbox has been abuzz over the last twenty four hours since Governor Sarah Palin announced the formation of her own political action committee (PAC) named sarahpac.
    Who were the senders?
    Angry lawmakers who say that Palin is taking false credit on her self congratulatory PAC website, claiming accomplishments that she had little or nothing to do with. However Palin's overreach shouldn't surprise anyone.

After all this is a person who stood in front of 70 million Americans and said she was building the "$40 billion dollar natural gas pipeline." She continued to repeat the lie on the campaign trail, even though when she first said it back in August at a press conference, her Revenue Commissioner grabbed her arm and corrected her.

This is also the person who quickly forgot that in 2006, not only did she support the Ketchikan Bridge, but she advocated that we build it sooner rather than later so we could take advantage of federal funds brought home by former Senator Ted Stevens. But yet went on to tell Americans she said "thanks, but no thanks."

Still, lawmakers who have done the heavy lifting on the issues that Palin is now taking credit for are burning. On the site (SarahPAC - Sarah Palin's Official PAC) a page lists Palin's supposed accomplishments.

"Under her leadership as Governor, Alaska has invested $5 billion in state savings, overhauled education funding, and implemented the Senior Benefits Program that provides support for low-income older Alaskans," the narrative boasts.
    However Palin had very little if anything to do with any of these issues.
    First it was the legislature that has the power of appropriations and they were the ones responsible for depositing $5 billion in state savings. Palin had nothing to do with the deposit.

Second, the overhaul of Alaska's education funding was completed by the Legislative Task Force on School Funding, chaired by Representative Mike Hawker. In fact Palin contributed nothing to the overhaul with the exception of adopting the task force's recommendations and then putting her name on the legislation.
    Third, if anything at all, Palin is entitled to some blame - not credit - as the senior benefits program failed to pass during the regular session because the lack of leadership on her part.
    In 2007, Rep. Mike Hawker introduced HB198 which strengthened and extended the Senior Care program. The bill included a provision that would have removed any mention of the longevity bonus from Alaska's statutes. On the House floor, a fight occurred between those who wanted to keep the language and those who didn't.

The bill was unceremoniously pulled from the floor before a vote on final passage killing the program. Meanwhile, Palin remained silent on the sidelines allowing the bill to die.
    In short, almost 7,000 of Alaska's neediest seniors were put at risk because a lack of leadership from Palin on the issue.
    On June 27, 2007, the day after the special session on Senior Benefits, former Speaker of the House and now respected co-author of Bradners' Alaska Legislative Digest, Mike Bradner, wrote a stinging analysis of the lack of leadership Palin showed on the issue.

“Palin likes to play with issues publicly, but not work at them”, Bradner wrote. “Palin likes to just sort of muse about issues. But she seems unwilling to get down and dirty in a dogfight. She did nothing when she could have to salvage senior care, when it would have been easy and cost less.

In fact, after criticizing the legislature for spending too much on one time expenditures, Palin never once said how she would pay for the new $20 million per year senior benefit package that she originally introduced at a cost of $10 million per year.

Bradner went on to write, she “seems, at least so far, unwilling to become involved in legislative issues that are in process (at a time when they can be changed, limited or even stopped)."
    But today on her new PAC website, Palin wants credit for a government program that ended up taking longer to get done and ended up costing twice as much.
    The sarahpac site also claims, "During her first legislative session, Governor Palin's administration passed two major pieces of legislation - an overhaul of the state's ethics laws and a competitive process to construct a gas pipeline."

Democrats would argue that they did all of the heavy lifting on the ethics bill the year before.

In 2006, in the wake of the Greg Renkes debacle, Democrats including Les Gara and Hollis French worked hard on crafting legislation to strengthen ethics laws. Ironically, the bill was killed by Republicans who voted against it, who then flipped the following year and voted for it after Palin got elected and ethics suddenly became fashionable.
    And the competitive process to construct a gas pipeline?
    If you think giving $500 million of taxpayer money to a Canadian Pipeline company who has said publicly that they cannot build the pipeline until their competitors agree to underwrite the cost is a competitive process; then get out your checkbook and write a big check to sarahpac.com.

But where most of us come from, both situations are called throwing good money after bad.
    Ms. P's PAC is playing games with the truth.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I just think of this as guaranteeing plenty of material for John Stewart for the next few years.
    And Tina Fey, if she so desires.

Palin's like the Britney Spears of politics.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information