Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Without huge salaries, financial leaders won't try hard?

Putting yourself through college is like having two full-time jobs. It's a 60-70 hours week.

And when something happens in your life, like an unexpected electricity bill etc., you have to put college on hold, because your existence is on the line.

And when all your friends prepare for exams, you are stuck at the fucking restaurant cleaning tables. Because canceling your shift would mean NO FOOD.

That's self-sufficient. You do not get to call daddy when things get rough, you do not get to fly first class and you do not get to shop for designer clothes with daddy's Amex.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Try being married, going to school, and working.

Now that was real fun.

My mother did that, and lost half her hair.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I really, really don't mind rich kids. No one should be judged by their background, rich or poor. I have met rich saints and poor assholes.

I do however have huge issues with spoiled rich kids who claim they went through the same things in life as I did.

When I meet new people, I always know whether they are silver spoon candidates or whether they went through the same ordeal. The former tend to overestimate their own accomplishments, for instance.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

i may not agree with her views but it's unfair to give SB crap for having her education and living expenses paid for while she was a student.
    a lot of parents pay for their kids' educations. mine did. and they also paid for my rent and living expenses (at a set limit, and a reasonable amount). i worked part-time through uni.
    i realise it's a privilege and i am grateful to my parents for giving me the opportunity to enjoy my student years without worrying about money and working full time.

so does that make me a spoiled brat? and yes it is possible to go from student to self-sufficient in 2 years. i did it in less. graduated in december, was working full time and paying for everything by march and i haven't asked my mother for a single cent since.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^ The point is that she claimed she was self-sufficient. That is unfair to those who actually were in that situation, IMO.

There is a huge difference between having a job and supporting yourself and going to university and supporting yourself. Job = one burden, job+uni = two burdens.
    -Bugdoll-

^^
    she said she is self-sufficient now. not when she was a student. at least that's how i understood it. i'm just saying...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thank you, sputnik. Yes, I am self sufficient, now. Not when I was a student, although my dad did make me take out student loans during the last summer I was there (I graduated in August) and work part-time to learn the value of money.

I come from a unique situation in that while my dad was extremely wealthy, my mom was not. (My parents were divorced). Because of the crappy child-support laws in Texas at the time and the fact that she was a stay-at-home mom during their marriage, she got next to nothing in the divorce and got very little child support.

So, I would go from being a "rich kid" when I was with him to being one of three kids to a single mother with an average income when I was with her.

So I do feel like I kind of experienced two totally different lifestyles. I'm not a "spoiled brat" who was "spoon-fed" her whole life. I don't overestimate my accomplishments either. I earned a college degree. The fact that I didn't work full time while doing it doesn't make it any less valid than anyone else's.

I <3 how people say handouts to the poor make the poor more lazy yet they think handouts to the rich make them more motivated.

When the poor take a misstep, they deserve to fall because they weren't responsible enough to take care of themselves.

When the rich fuck up, it's just a temporary stumble, and boy we better give them some help to get them back on their feet again.

Ridiculous.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Jesus, must be nice. I wish i had someone paying my way while i was in college so i didn't have to work in a crappy mall till midnight EVERY NIGHT and do my homework till 3 am just to have enough money to eat.

Purleeze....I did that, plus an internship, walked up hill both ways for many miles in shoes with no soles. You are a PUSSY.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

^^
    in the snow, i hope? otherwise, you're just WEAK. and a spoiled brat.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    This is so perfect I just posted it on my Facebook wall. Thanks!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

^^
    in the snow, i hope? otherwise, you're just WEAK. and a spoiled brat.

Well, obviously. And not only in the snow but in the driving rain as well. With hail storms and a nor'easter coming in. Plus, there were tornadoes almost daily, followed by locusts. How dare you call me weak.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

No frogs then??
    Free Charmed.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information