Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will gender sway women to Sarah Palin?

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    I don't really care about gender, Palin even as a man would turn me off to McCain.
    Totally agree.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I'm actually glad this question is being asked about gender. Because for months all we had to hear about was that blacks are voting for Obama just because he's black and no other reason.

Now, I'm sure there are some blacks who are backing Obama because of his race, just like I'm sure some women backed Hillary, and now Palin, because of gender, but I think it's insulting to assume that either group is voting race & gender in large numbers without even taking the issues into consideration.

Very true. What I hope more than anything is that having gender and race so heavily talked about that it will open real dialogues about both.

Will her gender sway women to Palin?

Not for me, nor my mom, nor my grandmother. As women, though we may not be the most balanced people on the planet, we believe Sarah Palin is a disgrace to women everywhere.

Let me put it this way. My grandma votes Republican just about everytime there's an election. And she's told me point blank, she would NOT trust McCain OR Palin anywhere NEAR the white house, and wants Bush out NOW. This is an opinion from a woman, who voted for both Bushes, Reagan, and probably Nixon.

Me, mom, grandma, and ALL of my female friends DO NOT LIKE McCain or Palin. We all believe they're both batshit insane.

It seems to me that Palin only appeals to those who agree with her on three issues: abortion, guns and God. When I was watching the RNC yesterday--don't remember which channel--one of the commentators said that the delegates for this convention are the most conservative EVER. They're more conservative than the ones 4 years ago and the ones in '04 were more conservative than the ones in 2000. These delegates for the '08 RNC are ultra conservative. There's a lot of Republicans they don't seem to represent that I've met.

AMEN!
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    Will her gender sway women to Palin?

Not for me, nor my mom, nor my grandmother. As women, though we may not be the most balanced people on the planet, we believe Sarah Palin is a disgrace to women everywhere.

Let me put it this way. My grandma votes Republican just about everytime there's an election. And she's told me point blank, she would NOT trust McCain OR Palin anywhere NEAR the white house, and wants Bush out NOW. This is an opinion from a woman, who voted for both Bushes, Reagan, and probably Nixon.

Me, mom, grandma, and ALL of my female friends DO NOT LIKE McCain or Palin. We all believe they're both batshit insane.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

I was raised by strong women. I still in someways respect HRC and what she stands for, so I could never vote for McCain and Palin. I know what hard work, sacrifice, and commitment takes to achieve your goals, and I also know what its like to see someone handed a position that they aren't qualified for...And sarah palin doesn't pass the strong WOMAN test!! Having a Vagina doesn't work for me!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Re: the question of this thread

Fuck no!!

It would have been nice to see the first woman nominee actually talk about ISSUES and not start ranting off against her opponent. Way to keep it REAL.

And HELL NO, just cause she has a vagina, I wouldn't vote for her ass. That's beyond ridic. Just like it's stupid to assume just because someone is black, blacks would vote for them, just lke a man would vote for a man, asians for asians, list goes on, etc.
    Thing is, I don't agree with most of her ideas. Like someone mentioned, it's Dubya with a VAG.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    No more than it will sway some blacks to vote for Obama.

This is getting old.
    Thank you! I love you! Why is it perfectly acceptable that 98% of all black people are voting for Obama, even ones that have never even watched him speak, yet if women support a woman candidate just because they might also like to see history made by putting a woman in that position they are stupid for blindly following someone without looking at the issues? I'm not naive enough to think that just because someone is a woman that she will vote in what i consider to be my best interests. However, why is it okay for one group to want to make history but not another? Oh yeah, because it really isn't that big a deal if woman never make it to the very top. Even I can concede that having a woman in that position would open up the way for more women of all political persuasions to achieve that same level of success simply because it will become more culturally acceptable to see a female in a leadership role (and there is no way I'll support an anti-abortion candidate).

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    However, why is it okay for one group to want to make history but not another?

Even I can concede that having a woman in that position would open up the way for more women of all political persuasions to achieve that same level of success simply because it will become more culturally acceptable to see a female in a leadership role (and there is no way I'll support an anti-abortion candidate).

The Dems ran Geraldine Ferraro - a stronger contender than Palin way back in the 1980's for the same position so I'm not sure what you mean here??

After spending 15 years rising in the corporate world to mid management supervising 65 people and then almost 15 years as a personal assistant for someone with ties in the entertainment industry, I am saddened but realistic enough to realize it ain't going to happen in my lifetime. I hope for my daughter's sake it may in her's, but this country is not broad minded enough to permit it and is far too self centered to look at the rest of the world and their achievements. It seems that the country's that have been ruled by male and female monarchs for centuries and those that are more open minded to peoples differences, are far more accepting of a woman's ability to rule effectively. It would take a revolution for the Beltway Boys to concede this power. It's gonna take many, many women with very focused choices and an over abundance of wealth to even attempt it. Call me cynical but IMO all you young ladies with idealistic visions need to acquire equal pay for equal work first. Not trying to be demeaning or suggest its right, however I am very realistic.
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Thank you! I love you! Why is it perfectly acceptable that 98% of all black people are voting for Obama, even ones that have never even watched him speak, yet if women support a woman candidate just because they might also like to see history made by putting a woman in that position they are stupid for blindly following someone without looking at the issues? I'm not naive enough to think that just because someone is a woman that she will vote in what i consider to be my best interests. However, why is it okay for one group to want to make history but not another? Oh yeah, because it really isn't that big a deal if woman never make it to the very top. Even I can concede that having a woman in that position would open up the way for more women of all political persuasions to achieve that same level of success simply because it will become more culturally acceptable to see a female in a leadership role (and there is no way I'll support an anti-abortion candidate).
    How can you say that there are some blacks voting for Obama who have never even heard him speak? That's like saying that some of the women who supported Hillary never heard her speak? So, basically, you're making the same assumption about black people that you're accusing people of making about females.

^^^^Yep, I am, becasue I realize that there are some women and some black people who will automatically vote for a female or black candidate. And you know what? I don't necessarily blame them. If women and non-white people had not been so intentionally and systematically excluded for centuries then race and gender wouldn't even be an issue now. But they have been and it is, so be it.

Somehow I knew that was coming.

^^Oh, I agree that there are some blacks and women who will vote based on race and gender. And I think anybody who ignores the issues and just votes for somebody who looks like them is an idiot, be they black or female.

^^^I see what you are saying, but I still understand how people could feel like it is a big step just to break those barriers, period. Some are willing to vote for someone who doesn't agree with their views in order to break those barriers for once and for all, and I sympathize with that in a way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information