Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WikiLeaks founder could be charged under Espionage Act

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    you don't find the timing a little suspect?
    I think that Assange's lawyer wants people to think the timing looks bad.

But quite frankly, WikiLeaks consists of more than just Assange. If Assange is jailed, it's not going to stop WikiLeaks from leaking additional material. It's not going to stop them from being able to gather additional material either.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I'm not buying that. It's one thing to turn a blind eye to diplomats collecting information in the areas where they're posted.

However, the suggestion that someone how the whole Swedish criminal justice system is under the sway of the United States is difficult to swallow. In this case, that would be the prosecutors who brought the case. The court who reviewed the case and approved it going forward. And the court that rejected Assange's appeal.
    you don't need to sway the entire swedish criminal justice system. just those 3 women.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    you don't need to sway the entire swedish criminal justice system. just those 3 women.
    I don't buy that either. Police and prosecutors dismiss claims that they find false and/or contradictory all the time.

The rape thing is a complete set up. This man is no fool, they are out to keep him quiet at all costs.

Well, Sweden let Polanski come & go as he pleased for 30/40 years so maybe it is & maybe it isn't.

Eta: I meant the parallel that they (the Swiss) only did something about Polanski when pressured to by the US. I thought you could read minds. But idiots posting opinion as fact annoy the shit out of me.
    Last edited by Novice; December 2nd, 2010 at 03:04 AM.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    The rape thing is a complete set up. This man is no fool, they are out to keep him quiet at all costs.
    No, he is actually kind of a fool. He is a convicted hacker (breaking into Nortel) and had his share of problems in the past.

And the United States and other countries know that having physical custody of Assange will not stop the dissemination of information collected by WikiLeaks. So "keeping him quiet" doesn't factor into the equation.

he's an idiot and there is no conspiracy behind the rape charges, the dates are just a coincidence.

*waits for mohandas to say the opposite*
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    he's an idiot and there is no conspiracy behind the rape charges, the dates are just a coincidence.

*waits for mohandas to say the opposite*
    I bet it sounds sometimes like I'm disagreeing just to disagree. And if it sounds like that, I really apologize.

Kanye isn't a douchebag

*waits*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Well, it looks like the Russians have been hit by wikileak now. I don't know if I wold screw around with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Kanye isn't a douchebag

*waits*
    Thanks for the laugh, Grimmlok. It's been a long day.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Kanye isn't a douchebag

*waits*
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Default Julian Assange and the sex crime Trojan horse

What's really behind Swedish prosecutors' pursuit of the WikiLeaks founder?

Swedish prosecutors today ramped up their pursuit of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange by authorizing Interpol to issue a so-called Red Notice, which asks foreign governments to arrest and extradite Assange to Sweden.

The prosecutors say he is wanted for questioning about accusations of sex crimes made against him by two women; he has not been charged with a crime. But the real peril here for Assange -- whose whereabouts are unknown -- is that if he ends up in the hands of Swedish authorities, the chances that he will be extradited to the United States rise significantly.

(Journalist Mark Leon Goldberg has a good explanation of what a Red Notice actually is. Assange is not on a "most wanted" list, as some headlines have put it.)

The Obama administration has made it clear that it wants very much to prosecute Assange for the disclosure of diplomatic cables -- or for whatever other reason the Justice Department can think up. There has been talk of using the Espionage Act of 1917 to prosecute Assange, but legal experts told Salon this week that would be a difficult (and potentially dangerous) strategy.

CNN legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin today speculated that U.S. prosecutors may have already obtained a sealed arrest warrant for Assange. So it's not at all inconceivable that the Obama administration is applying pressure on the Swedish government to arrest Assange.

Finally, while it sometimes gets lost in the coverage, the Times today has a concise explanation of the accusations against Assange:

According to accounts the women gave to the police and friends, they each had consensual sexual encounters with Mr. Assange that became nonconsensual. One woman said that Mr. Assange had ignored her appeals to stop after a condom broke. The other woman said that she and Mr. Assange had begun a sexual encounter using a condom, but that Mr. Assange did not comply with her appeals to stop when it was no longer in use. Mr. Assange has questioned the veracity of those accounts.
    That Sweden has turned to Interpol and a Red Notice to pursue Assange over these charges -- and at this tense moment -- is remarkable. A quick look through Interpol's press release archives shows the use of Red Notices against those suspected of genocide, war crimes and terrorism.

Julian Assange and the sex crime Trojan horse - War Room - Salon.com

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

So, what? He has a super-dick that no condom can confine? With a single bound it was free? Can't they come up with a better story than that?
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    No, he is actually kind of a fool. He is a convicted hacker (breaking into Nortel) and had his share of problems in the past.

And the United States and other countries know that having physical custody of Assange will not stop the dissemination of information collected by WikiLeaks. So "keeping him quiet" doesn't factor into the equation.
    It will discourage others, though, from sharing internal documents. You don't think this witch hunt is politically motivated? Really? Come on. The Banks have been after Assange for a few years now.

I've read a load of the cables now. Most of it is data we should have received as an informed society. Nothing new in knowing Russia is a mafia state or that the US is basically Saudi Arabia's attack pit bull for oil.

This is what we call State Secrets? It's mostly State Department gossip. Any true journalistic source would have uncovered everything I read by interviewing a couple of minor diplomats.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information