Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Why Rick Warren is a fascist asshole, and an albatross around Obama's neck

You really can't comprehend that in the current makeup, you can't win?

If the government called for a decision to be made today, which do you honestly think would be handed down? Which branch would cave? Do tell?

If it failed, you would keep going. Over and over and over and over and over. till it happened.

it's not 'try once, and then give up'.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Oh, you could continue to push, which is to be expected, but the,"It's already been decided upon" argument has no expiration.

If you think those issues get tossed aside now, they wouldn't even make it to the desk if that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    His wife and his church are not the man himself.
    It's an example of the result of his religious teachings.

RIS, many black men used that same argument against black women wanting equality. It was bullshit then and it's bullshit now.
    Last edited by mamaste; January 15th, 2009 at 05:57 PM.

No one is discrediting your movement.
    My movement? WTF? Seriously! My movement?

His wife and his church are not the man himself. I stated no one knows which way he would lean. We can't know. I am aware the late Coretta Scott King supported gay rights. I was referring to one man who never made a direct statement pertaining to this particular topic. To insinuate someone would have believed something, without that person having a chance to speak about it, is disrespectful, imho.
    Like Christians use the many, many things Jesus said about homosexuality to justify their condemnation of it? Oh...wait!

And of course no one can be 100% sure of what MLK's views on gay people would be. But I take his widow at her word, if for no other reason than I find it hard to believe that someone as enlightened and essentially good at heart as him would be as hypocritical as to deny any group basic human rights and practice the opposite of what he preached.

Besides, it's not unheard of for religious people to not use said beliefs as a convenient shield behind which to hide their own ugly prejudices. I mean, it's RARE, but it can happen. The most recent example I can think of is Desmond Tutu.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    So where does the knee jerk reaction come from regarding "dont compare gay civil rights to black civil rights"?
    It comes from the same kneejerk reaction that says that 'blacks just want to have some special badge of honor' if we point out the obvious differences between the gay & civil rights movements. Or the same kneejerk reaction that says that 'you think that gays don't deserve civil rights' if you point out the obvious differences between the two movements.

Oh king, given that there has been a ridiculous and abnormal reaction from the black civil rights camp on here, which pretty much everybody else has noticed but you two, you know that response is crap.

It also didn't even ANSWER the question, it just deflected.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Unless an answer falls into line with the gay rights view, it will be treated as a deflection.

That has been obvious for a long time.

No, it was a non answer. Try actually answering it with substance instead of pointing at someone/something else.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    It comes from the same kneejerk reaction that says that 'blacks just want to have some special badge of honor' if we point out the obvious differences between the gay & civil rights movements. Or the same kneejerk reaction that says that 'you think that gays don't deserve civil rights' if you point out the obvious differences between the two movements.
    Does it some how impugn or malign the civil rights movement if it's associated with gay rights? That's the impression you and Rev have been giving off: If they're associated together, it's somehow wrong. It's like we're all humans who breathe air and eventually die. But if someone points that out to you, you have to emphasize you're not like someone else because they're female or have blue eyes or are taller than you.

Oh king, given that there has been a ridiculous and abnormal reaction from the black civil rights camp on here, which pretty much everybody else has noticed but you two, you know that response is crap.

It also didn't even ANSWER the question, it just deflected.
    Grim, name some of those abnormal reactions that justified the statements of 'blacks wanting a special badge of honor' and 'you don't think that gays deserve civil rights.' Now if you can't answer that question, then it's being deflected.

And saying 'don't compare the gay civil rights movement and the black civil rights movement' isn't a knee-jerk reaction. Now, I'll say that when you started doing your laundry list of what gays have gone through and I responded with a laundry list of what blacks have gone through then that was a knee-jerk reaction on my part. But saying the two movements aren't the same, and then backing it up with FACTS, isn't a kneejerk reaction. That's just looking at the situation from a logical standpoint, not an emotional one.

Grim, name some of those abnormal reactions that justified the statements of 'blacks wanting a special badge of honor' and 'you don't think that gays deserve civil rights.' Now if you can't answer that question, then it's being deflected.
    Go back and read Rev's post history, and I never said the second part.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Does it some how impugn or malign the civil rights movement if it's associated with gay rights? That's the impression you and Rev have been giving off: If they're associated together, it's somehow wrong. It's like we're all humans who breathe air and eventually die. But if someone points that out to you, you have to emphasize you're not like someone else because they're female or have blue eyes or are taller than you.
    Forget RIS for a second and concentrate on me. Go back through this thread and specifically point out where I'm saying or implying that by comparing the two movements that it demeans one over the other. And don't say you don't have the time, because that's a cop out. If you're going to accuse somebody of something, then you have to be able to back it up with facts.

Go back and read Rev's post history, and I never said the second part.
    I'll go back and read some of RIS's post. And I know you didn't say the second part, I was just pointing out what another poster stated.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread Information